//ArrowChat Code

Thread: 1984 ATC200X Engine Rebuild

--

1984 ATC200X Engine Rebuild

During the winter I plan on doing a ground up engine rebuild on the 1984 ATC200X that I recently acquired.

What I'd like to do is locate and purchased the required parts over the next month or two before I begin. Aside from beefing up the kicker, are there parts that I should replace as preventative maintenance?

By looking for parts not and ordering them I'm trying to avoid the scenario where I've got the engine torn apart and I'm waiting a week and wasting money on shipping one item because I forgot something like dowel pins. I understand that there may be things I need to replace because they are worn and I won't know until I get in there but anything I can do upfront I'd like to do.

If there is another thread on this that I have missed, I apologize and would appreciate the link.

I thought this could be a useful thread as long as it doesn't go too far off tangent.

--
    If you need a piston and rings, you can't tell what size they are unless at least the head's off. You'll either need to look at the piston numbers (if you can see them) or mic the cylinder.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 350for350 View Post
    If you need a piston and rings, you can't tell what size they are unless at least the head's off. You'll either need to look at the piston numbers (if you can see them) or mic the cylinder.
    I understand that. I'm thinking more along the lines of gaskets, o-rings, dowel pins, kicker pinion & ratchet gears due to substandard original design, etc.

A piston and rings is a good example. While I can't know the size until I tear it apart, even if it is in good shape I'm going to replace it.

--
    All new bearings in the lower end, you can get a gasket kit that has all the gaskets and seals that you will need. Get a new timing chain they stretch and throw off timeing. There is a guy on this form that has the upgrade kit with the gears and upgraded spring for the kick starter (gears and upgraded spring that puts more pressure on the two cranking gears so they don’t strip). Some things you will not know until you take it apart like if the engine will need to be bored bigger, if the rod has a lot of play and will need to be sent out to a machine shop, transmission gears that will be missing teeth,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

--
    Timing chain plastic guides that crack, cam shaft that is worn out and your usual lovely screws that can strip or break. Just have to rip it apart, good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //