Thread: 1985 atc 110

--

1985 atc 110

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	56004457617__24E93CCE-B5EB-40B9-A60A-83DB79120F95.JPG 
Views:	41 
Size:	618.3 KB 
ID:	254866
    Just picked up an 1985 atc 110 for a pretty decent price. Bike is in good shape from what I can tell. I have a 1983 atc 110 also that has some frame issues. The 1983 seems to have more
    Power. Would the 83 engine fit into the 85 frame. ? Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

--
    identical engine except 83 is a downshift tranny and 85 is an upshift tranny. All else will bolt right in.
    RIP - Yamahondaman!! You will never be forgotten!
    RIP - Sam Brehm!! Gone but NEVER forgotten!
    RIP - Sandpuppi101 - You will live on in my mind - I miss you friend!

--
    Quote Originally Posted by atctim View Post
    identical engine except 83 is a downshift tranny and 85 is an upshift tranny. All else will bolt right in.
    Thank you , that cleared it up for me. I appreciate it

--
    Quote Originally Posted by atctim View Post
    Something else happened. I switched the 85 into low from hi , did good until I shifted to second. And all of a sudden nothing. It won't go anywhere. Sounds like something is rattling around. It will shift into 3 and 4 and go back down to second. But won't go into neural. Or switch from hi lo. Any questions on where I should start on this. I have the 83 motor to put into. But I would like to get the other
    Motor going good
    Thank you

--
    Little bit of an old post, but almost sounds like your 2nd gear gear set in the trans went bad or something. I'm not super experienced with transmissions though. The hi/low sub trans can have teeth missing from the gears, but that doesn't seem like the case.

If you want to try to get two machines up and going, I have a ATC110 I bought ages ago to part out, didn't get super far on that. Still have the frame and the engine. Engine isn't 100% complete, but I suspect the trans gears would be good in the bottom end, no clue about the rest of the engine though. Typical stuff missing on it, pull starter and such. Ohio isn't super far to ship, so I suspect shipping shouldn't be a complete deal breaker if you wanted to go this route. I have a 79 and 82 ATC110, not sure if 83 much changed or not. If I recall correctly the 79 is a points engine while the 82 has a CDI. Could save on shipping if you have any trips planned for central Michigan.

I suspect the best route to go is to validate exactly what's going on so you know what parts you need and such. If I recall correctly, the 110 engine uses the ratchet shift system like the 125m, if that's the case don't force it into gears, the ratchet thing breaks the teeth off fairly easy or the boss that the spring bolts to beaks commonly (atleast on the 125m, got two and both are broken).

I'd suggest you download a service manual for your machine, should be able to search for it and find one pretty easy, if not let me know and I'll dig up the link.

The sub transmissions can be a bit strange at times, my 200es was a little tricky to shift between hi/low. If I remember right, neutral to shift into low range always worked well, but leaving it in first gear when shifting into high worked well or else you had to rock the machine. It was the first 3 wheeler I owned, and went to the 250es/sx/350x since then which none have a hi/low range sadly.

First thing I'd do is pull the sub trans apart and check the gears since it's acting up, it's not all that complicated but you might need a gasket to reassemble with out it leaking. Look for missing teeth on the gears, or other clear signs of damage. Also wouldn't be a bad idea to drain the oil and look for any chunks of metal in it. A little metal flake is normal since it's for a transmission too, but a lot isn't normal, and chunks are clearly bad. If there is any, wouldn't hurt to check if they are steel or not, steel = gears, al = piston most likely or crank case.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //