//ArrowChat Code
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Project Loose Fillings AKA The Goblin

--
    Looks fair from a distance. Up close you can really see how bad my hands shake. LOL!

I was born and raised on Venus & I may be here a while.....

--
    Finally!!!!!
    I got my blast cabinet set up. New gun and water separater and all new fine glass media.

Wish I had this a long time ago.

Got the head blasted. New valves lapped in. Tomorrow I gotta get the new seals and all back together then paint. After it’s cured I’ll skin the sides of the fins back to bare metal and the head will be done.

--
    Nice! Always good to have a new tool in the box. Don’t have too much fun, now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

--
    Ohh baby, where you been all my life?
    I have a mini shop vac attached with an old sock slid over the hose for a filter to keep from eating up my shop vac. This thing pulls such a vacuum I had to drill a few holes in the cabinet!! When you turn it on, the gloves JUMP up to attention. LOL! Unlike many I have used over the years where it gets so cloudy you can't hardly work, this one is clear as day the whole time.

Man! This is gonna come in handy. No more long days of scrubbing parts. Just a good boiling degreaser first to keep from contaminating my media and BAM, clean parts!! I put a pressure regulator and a water separator on it too. I can go up to 175psi but it's nice to dial it back when working around areas I have masked off with tape like this head here. No grit inside the engine. It's fed by two Ingersoll Rand compressors. An 80 gallon compressor does the work but there's a 60 gallon plumbed in as well so it's essentially 140 gallon. I have it set up this way so if the 80 gallon compressor goes down, I can flip on the 60 gallon and not be down. This is all set up where I work (used tire shop) so I can be cleaning parts in between customers. One of the benefits of a family business. LOL!

--
    Nice setup. My dad worked in a automotive repair shop that had two compressors, both with good sized tanks (not sure what size, probably around 100-150gal each though). The first tank was setup to kick on like normal, like 120psi to run around 140psi, the second tank was set to kick on at 100psi, so if a lot of people were using the air, the compressors could keep up. They had high and huge compressors, so I guess the second pump tuned on so rarely they ran it like once a week, or switched which one was the primary or something like that.

Kind of funny, my dad's trying to seal his blast cabinet up to use the little outlet hole as a filter. He wants to throw a shop vac on it, he just doesn't have a spare atm. I thought what he was trying to do was a bit silly since the air has to come from somewhere.

Another fun thing to get is an ultra sonic cleaner. They work pretty good for cleaning carbs and such. Here's a pic of a few carbs, left one is a 250es one with the pilot adjuster frozen in the housing. It's uncleaned, but overall fairly clean carb for not being cleaned up. Middle is the one going on my 350x that's been though the ultra sonic cleaner. It has a couple missed spots and the gas inlet had a bit of corrosion in it. The bottom carb plug was rotted all the way though to give an idea of the carb's starting condition. The right carb is the spare 350x carb I bought for the parts to complete the center one with the best parts. I ran it though the cleaner just because it's a spare carb body. It has a little bit of dried up clay mess left on it, but not too bad. This was in a Chinese ultrasonic cleaner that doesn't have a large enough heating element to get to the proper temps, I think it was done at around 55-58c and it should be done around 65c. Besides the temp problems, it seems to work pretty well.

The ultra sonic cleaners don't remove corrosion, paint, plating, etc so they are a nice option for cleaning stuff up too. Works good on plastics too with out effecting their surface finish etc as long as the plastic can handle the temps no problem.

Kind of interesting that the 250es carb has the spot for the choke lever used on the 350x. I guess in theory someone could hook up the handle bar choke cable setup to the 350x carb if desired. They are both QA series carbs. I'm not sure if I want to run the cable based idle adjustment, it's not used a lot but the straight bolt with the knob seems to be the better setup if it's possible to get to on the 350x without burning your hand on the exhaust/head.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20190211_124714_339.jpg  

--
    Head is done. New valves lapped in. New seals and I sorted through a bin full of springs till I found (4) that were at the max end of spec.

New rod, shims and bearing should be here in a few days, ordered that this morning. Then I will get the crank rebuilt. First time pressing one apart so that oughta be fun. Need to make some parallels drivers to press it apart with. I have to go to a local auto shop and bum use of their press.

One step closer!

Not sure what discolored the paint along the edge of the fin, but that pisses me off. It's actually LESS noticeable in person. The picture really magnifies that blunder. NOT willing to repaint over it though.

Last edited by Gabriel; 02-12-2019 at 01:37 PM.

--
    Got my digital tachometer/volt meter wired in and bolted on, and the control box buttoned up hopefully for the last time.
    I gotta get a new key for the ignition switch. That old WheelHorse key is just outta place! LOL!
    What a weird pile of shet this is gonna be.

--
    So I got this tank.....
    I was laboring under the delusion that all ATC200 tanks were the same with the exception of the 200X. I thought the ATC, S, E, ES & M were the same.

....NOPE!!!

The tank I wanted to use was 3/4 of an inch wider inside than the frame. I found out when I tried to put it on. If you get one rubber bushing in the tank socket, the other was dangling in mid air.
    *SIGH* What to do, what to do.
    I considered making new rubber bushings that were longer but rubber is damn difficult to turn on a lathe with any decent results not to mention finding the right shore durometer material...eff this!

Went to the lathe and made these.
    Spaces out perfect and solid as a rock.

I even kept this true Honda! I made these out of a mangled and useless 200Es front axle. NEVER throw stuff away!!!!!!

--
    Just wondering, which tank did you use that was wider?

My ATC250ES had like a 200s tank on it or something like that, if I recall correctly the rubber spacers it mounted on fine, just the back part was way different, big time since the frame widens about the spot the carb is. They had some chunk of metal to attach it down, worked but was ugly as hell lol. Now I run a slightly sun faded plastic tank from a trashed 250es lol.

--
    Well, that's the rub......neither I nor the fine fella I got it from know WTF it came off of. ....other than it's a Honda.

--
    Built me a better engine assembly platform.

The Goblin's engine is FINALLY coming together.
    I cannot say enough good things about BearingsDirect.com They had every bottom end bearing except the rod bearing and the cage bearing for the starter gear. They had all but 2 seals & I had to get those off Ebay. I ordered Tuesday, got them today. Great people.

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    Well, that's the rub......neither I nor the fine fella I got it from know WTF it came off of. ....other than it's a Honda.
    Yeah I bought the tank when I went to buy some wheels just because it was so cheap. The kid said it was from a 185 and I said OK, lol. I wasn't really concerned.

I'm glad to see Bearings Direct worked out! I'm going to remember that one myself!
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    Well, a little break and I'm back on this project.

I'm almost loosing interest so I HAVE to get back on this. LOL!!
    Engine is 90% together. Soon as I get the pulse rotor assembled (waiting on new springs) I will post a picture.

Anyway...I love making stuff out of scraps and junk. Left over drops from some bed rails and junk hardware....and yes, those are two head studs I had from a garbage motor....NEVER throw stuff away!!!!
    Here's my battery hold down I made today.
    I quit making excuses for my welds a long time ago, I have light sensitive eyes and a # 13 shade still nauseates me so I cannot watch my puddle as I weld....SO, everything I weld is crooked and phacked up. LOL!!!!!!

--
    Still much to do. Gotta do something about those tired old wire sleeves for sure as well as that hideous Hi-Low selector.

--
    So that’s an interesante switch box....some in english and the light switch in espanol
    Feedback for yaegerb: Click Here

Need something blasted or polished or both? Send me a PM

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //