//ArrowChat Code
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Project Loose Fillings AKA The Goblin

--
    Not sure how much interest there would be, but those wire sleeves from the pulse generator I'm pretty sure I've seen a source for them. At some point in time I plan to buy new super high temp wires just like the stator and pulse generator wires are, but new =) to resell as "rewire kits", might be a bad wording/term for it since it's not the coil wiring, just the main wire going to the harnesses.

Your welds don't look too bad, the two lap welds might have been a little cold (weld built up more than ideal), but welds like yours holds up just fine in 99% uses. It's those bubble gum welds that don't penetrate the metal at all that are complete garbage. It's just for a battery anyway, doesn't have to be too strong when OEM commonly used a rubber strap to hold in the battery lol.

--
    The Goblin's heart is now planted firmly in its chest.
    .....will it ever run? THat's anybody's guess.

I was born and raised on Venus & I may be here a while.....

--
    Got a decent start on the exhaust.

I started with a shortened header pipe from a Kawasaki 185 quad. Not sure what year, mid 80's

It uses two half circle pieces inside the clamp plate. I welded those in place permanently. The clamp plate couldn't be made to work so I had to bore a Honda plate out to fit the 1.25" pipe. The ID is 1.125, thats a significant gain over the 3/4 ID factory pipe but not so much as to be a problem....I hope.
    Had to weld up a hole left from cutting off the heat sheild nuts. You won't see it as the whole thing will get wrapped with header wrap when done.

It's a snug fit but seems to be good to go. I ordered (2) 1.25 OD mandrel bent 180 degree pipe sections off amazon to make the S bend needed to get it out of the frame and to a muffler. I thought I had my mind made up on the muffler but have since reconsidered so I'll wait until I get the muffler I decide to use mounted up before going further. At least now, I can fire the engine and see if it'll run.....once I get my intake manifold from China. Should be obnoxious as hell. LOL!!!

--
    OK boys.

Who needs a good laugh this morning??

SO, old boy here in town does signs and lettering. He's pretty decent and he owed me a favor so I asked him to put "GOBLIN" on my tank. I gave him creative liberty cause I really didn't care. My paint job sucked and had a few fish eyes so how much worse could he really make it? ......now, this old boy....he don't wait for 4:20pm I can promise you. In 15 years, if I've ever seen him straight, I can't remember. LOL!!!!

Drum roll...........

WTF is that??? I'm glad I was in a good mood this morning. I laughed my azz off. Never let a stoner be your letter man. Even if it's free work. LOL!!!!!!!!!!

You can see the bad spots in my paint showing through. Now how I'm gonna fix this .................................

--
    Old boy bud is your gremlin. Now, go goblin him up and sh!t him out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

--
    I've got the lettering removed.....now if I can just reletter it without fackin' it up. ------yeah...probably not.

--
    Funny stuffs there, must have been thinking of the movie Gremlins, and for some reason put toothpaste on your tank xD. Maybe it's a joke because gremlins can't get wet, so they can't brush too.

--
    ......and Fixer was right. No matter what, it looked like a GD Aquafresh logo.

I'm not happy with the big grey bandaid but it'll serve. This poor little batch of mix matched parts is in for a pretty rough life anyway....

--
    If your neighbor gives you a trashed old tool box from his pick up truck.....you can use it to fix your cracked trunk lid!

This one gets a trunk AND the little tool box on the rear grab bar. Gonna need to room for tools and parts once this turd hits the trail. HA!!

--
    Looks like that lid worked out quite well for you. Your solution was better than what I was thinking lol.

--
    So I need a breather box. I was somewhat intent on making one but I actually have one that goes to a 200E. It doesn't fit for two reasons. The rear mounts of the box connected to the battery box which was rotten and I cut it all away. Second, it will not clear (enough) the exhaust I am making for it. A plastic box less than a 1/8 of an inch from the header pipe ain't gonna work. What to do.

Notched out the box to give plenty of clearance. I'll have to make some kind of rear mount.

I put the heat gun to a junk fender to flatten it out and cut and welded in some panels.

Gotta get the sanding disk out and clean it all up. Then I'm gonna sand blast the outside with coal slag to etch it. I'll cover the whole outside with a layer of fiberglass. Then, I will make some reflective plates to sit between the plastic and the header. ....at least that's the plan. Plans subject to change.

--
    Your plastic work looks to be coming out pretty well. I was going to say just heat gun the area the exaust doesn't clear and push it in. Probably end up a bit wavy but sealed well.

I have a spare exhaust shield for the air box from a atc200es air box, not sure if that would work for the heat reflector or not in your setup, maybe you have one from that air box?

--
    It’s not shaped right. I have a factory shield. Too bad.
    I’m gonna head to the auto parts store soon. I seem to recall some heat reflecting material on the “Hot Rod” shelf next to all the aftermarket Chevy stuff. I’m betting that’ll work good. I’m going to wrap the whole header so that will help a lot too.

My plastic welding has improved but it’s still a bit sloppy looking. I’ll finish mastering function before I move on to cosmetic.
    The key is patience and making sure to push deep into both mating parts then float the impression you make back smooth again while it’s still molten. No different than any other weld on earth. If you want it to hold, the weld has to penetrate the material, not just pile up on top.

--
    Makes sense, I haven't had the experence plastic welding but I've seen a few people try it and it's always really lumpy and such. I think it's the welder in them trying to go side to side though like a normal arc welder.

Pretty much any steel or al would work for heat shielding, the key is to have an air gap. It reminds me a bit of the ordiances in Canada for wood stoves, it's something like 16in clearance from any walls etc and the distance is cut in half per extra layer of fire retardant material with a 3/4in gap (cement board for example). My setup at home is double walled bricks + an air jacket, so effectively 3 layers, each around 3-4in apart, and inside the bricks it gets warm, but outside is always right around room temp, maybe +5-10 degrees.

--
    Changed my mind. I'm gonna clean everything up and call it done. Nothing ever sticks to plastic for long anyway and the fiberglass overlay ain't a good idea.

In a hold my beer and watch this moment,,,,I stood on the air box. I weigh in at 168 pounds. No cracks, welds solid, nothing moved or made any popping sounds. Hopefully I can hide the ugly with some het shields and call it done. Kinda wished I had taken the time to get the paint off the fender material BEFORE I welded it all together.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //