//ArrowChat Code
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: ‘82 250R-put away wet

--
    Quote Originally Posted by yaegerb View Post
    Check ignition as well.
    That makes since, because one of the first things I did was eff up the stator when I tried to get the flywheel off without a proper puller. So I bought a used one. Now I see, again, where it says to NOT take the pulse generator off the base, which I think I did. Good clue, I’ll look there first. Thanks Yaegerb

--
    No problem. And make sure the timing lines mark up from the base plate to the case.
    Feedback for yaegerb: Click Here

Need something blasted or polished or both? Send me a PM

--

‘82 250R-put away wet

No luck, yet. This trike is schoolin’ me!! Which is good, really.
    I think I’ve got it narrowed down to the cdi. Here is a list of what I’ve checked:
    1. Coil-both sides, including new plug cap.
    2. Exciter coil & ac generator
    3. Stator (haven’t tried moving the base from timing marks)
    4. Ran without muffler
    5. Tried a different pipe
    6. Different size jets
    7. Made sure air filter wasn’t over oiled.
    8. Spark plug gap

Without comparing it to another, it seems my spark is weak. (I can send a video to someone if they wanted to verify that for me). From what I’ve read, that ‘could’ be a bad cdi. So, that and the reeds are the last options I’m thinking as of now.

It is encouraging that it fires on the first kick, every time, idles and revs up real nice. But, the minute it gets going, it’s like there is no power (barely spins the tires in the snow).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

--
    Try unscrewing your spark plug wire from the coil. Snip 1/8-1/4 off the wire and screw it back in. See if that helps.

--

‘82 250R-put away wet

Thanks Yaegerb, You’re more reliable than any darn trike!! I forgot to add I installed a new wire with cap. Even tried a new coil.
    P.s. new cdi should be here in a few days

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    What is your elevation?

I would do the following in the mean time.

1. put the correct main jet back in, unless you are at a high elevation.

2. check the float level.

3. disconnect the kill switch. These can cause big problems. I had to do this 2 days ago on my 1980 YZ250 at a National Motocross race last Sunday. I raced this bike around 12 times in the last 6 months and it has always ran flawlessly after I dialed in the jetting, timing, oil ratio, and fuel mix (pump gas with 25% vp street blaze) and I even started it up Saturday to make sure it was still ok, then it wouldn't stay running on Sunday even after being push started by 5 different people then being towed around the parking lot several times, lol. I drained the gas in the tank then shoved my finger in the spark plug cap and turned it over and no juice. I then simply unplugged the kill switch and whala, it shocked the sh_it out of me. It then started and ran flawlessly as usual.

4. Post a photo of the plug.

5. Post a video of the spark if you want to. With a CDI, it should have a faint, thin blue spark, but it should be checked in a semi dark area or you may not see it at all. If it is yellow, there is not much voltage.

6. Unless you need, or simply want to run the stock muffler, I would install a straight thru type aftermarket one, and if you get a used one, I would repack it. It will give you more power and will reduce the weight by around 65lbs, lol. The bike won't run properly if your stock one is partially plugged or all the packing is gone or if you do not run a silencer at all.

Here's a very rare, vintage ANSWER silencer that ends at noon tomorrow (2-27). I would buy this in a heartbeat if I had an 82 250r. I have vintage ANSWER silencers on both my race bikes.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1982-HONDA-...bTy:rk:39:pf:0

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by Jd110 View Post
    Even tried a new coil.
    Unless it is an original honda coil, I would not use it. I can tell you horror stories about my experience with chinese coils...but I won't.

--
    Elev. is 2200.
    Probably hard to see that but it is faint blue.

Yes, the silencer has me wondering, again. I mentioned earlier that I blew out a lot of ‘stuff’ with a serious amount of air pressure, through both ends. I just didn’t know better, I was thinking it was from a mouse. Here is some of it:
    . Is this packing material?
    Thanks for the link.

I didn’t add earlier that I did buy a cheap $9.99 coil because I got 3.3 k ohms on the secondary side of the oem coil. The book states 8-15. This cheap new coil reads the exact same 3.3.
    Thanks for your time and suggestions, barn.
    IMHO-it takes a good person to help someone that doesn’t have much of a clue. Lots of good help, here.

--
    No news is better than bad news, as I see it.

So, for now, I’ll just say that every dead end forces me a different direction, which will eventually lead to success-I’m sure of it!!

After checking the entire electrical system, including ringing out all wiring and connectors, I went a different direction, towards something else I suspected.

I quickly found something that prompted me to more research. I keep thinking I found it, but this time I checked some text, from whom I consider ‘ace in the hole’ on my project. Well, there it was, confirmation I made an error.
    I don’t want to say, yet. I’m better off taking my own mistakes and dead ends on my own. If this doesn’t do it, I’ll keep after it.

--
    We’re do I find me one of these “ Ace in the holes”
    78 atc 90/180cc Dickson Full Suspension
    76 ATC90/180cc Nicholson
    77 atc 90 Dickson Full Suspension
    84 KLT 110/123cc Powroll Racer from 80s
    87 atc 125m stock
    84 atc 200x Curtis Sparks
    84 atc 200x Powroll My race bike from 80's
    83 atc70/108cc Powroll blue Xmas Special
    81 atc185s HP-ATC full suspension

Performance Shop is Open PM me for Service

My Feedback http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ck+shortline10

--
    Conclusion....this thing would have ran on the first start-up, had I put the proper reeds in.
    I’m not using the stoppers so I should have ordered dual stage, instead of single stage. That’s how close I was. Not bad considering.....
    Want to say thank you, to 3ww for this resource and especially, Brendon. He stood by the last 5 months, answering all my questions and spending hours of his personal time to help this trike get going, again. This most definitely would have been harder and longer without you.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Jd110 View Post
    Conclusion....this thing would have ran on the first start-up, had I put the proper reeds in.
    I’m not using the stoppers so I should have ordered dual stage, instead of single stage. That’s how close I was. Not bad considering.....
    Want to say thank you, to 3ww for this resource and especially, Brendon. He stood by the last 5 months, answering all my questions and spending hours of his personal time to help this trike get going, again. This most definitely would have been harder and longer without you.

Anytime brother, that bike runs awesome! Have fun!

--
    Thanks, forgot to say-that’s the sound of your pipe! The oem pipe I got for free has a hole where it shouldn’t be. Plus, it’s about 100 lbs lighter.

I bought this after it was posted and started to shine it.
    I’m surrounded by trees and only ride in the forest, although I don’t see a problem running it in the winter, not like much can burn under 6’ of snow. It’s much lighter than my oem muffler, which I need to find out if it has a sparky?
    I’m really amazed how light this R is, already. It’s going to do great in the snow! Which is one of my favorite 4 seasons to be outside, here!

--
    The orig silencer came with a spark arrestor but it may have disintegrated. You can try sticking a coat hangar or long screw driver in the end and if it stops after around 4 inches, it still has the spark arrestor.

--
    ...or something blocking the exhaust, like more muffler packing.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //