//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Missing Needle Retaining Clip (W shaped) - make one homemade?

--

Missing Needle Retaining Clip (W shaped) - make one homemade?

Has anyone made these homemade out of a paper clip or something from Home Depot that worked? Both my trikes have the same issue, black sooty plugs no matter what. I just noticed both carbs are missing the needle retainer clip, therefore the needle could just settle wherever it wants. Do they sell something like these at brick and mortar stores, and would this cause an engine to run rich constantly and dry carbon foul plugs immediately?

--
    Why don't you go visit a local bike shop and see if they have one laying around?
    90 nickolson Bored and Stroked "The Good"

Big Bore 110 Pauter frame "The Bad"

90 Bored and Stroked “vey’s frame” "The Ugly"

110 JSC frame Bored and Stroked
    flat track build. “Shop trike”

1974 original 90 X 2

1974 Original 70.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Pierce1989 View Post
    Has anyone made these homemade out of a paper clip or something from Home Depot that worked? Both my trikes have the same issue, black sooty plugs no matter what. I just noticed both carbs are missing the needle retainer clip, therefore the needle could just settle wherever it wants. Do they sell something like these at brick and mortar stores, and would this cause an engine to run rich constantly and dry carbon foul plugs immediately?
    What year and model of trike?
    Feedback for yaegerb: Click Here

Need something blasted or polished or both? Send me a PM

--
    Quote Originally Posted by yaegerb View Post
    What year and model of trike?

I have two 1981 Honda ATC 200 with the Keihin PD carbs. I've been diagnosing why the spark plug is covered in dry black soot within minutes of riding on both of them and I think it's this clip that was missing. The one I recently bought had the retaining clip, but it was under the needle and e-clip. Fixed it and I think it's solved the problem from initial tests. No black plug! Now I need one for the other one, it never had one. I would try a motorcycle shop by I think the carb bores would be too big. I have a Chinese carb I bought for the 3 wheelers that fits the 3 wheeler but the bore and retaining clip is bigger. Was hoping someone had a quick trick. I read about people using dimes, paper clips, large gauged wires, ect but they weren't for 3 wheelers. Anyone have any ideas?

Also, I hope this helps someone else. I bought the 3 wheeler, it was somewhat running, I pulled the carb apart to clean/check jet sizes but completely forgot to check if that clip was there. If you have black soot plugs, make sure this clip is in there or the needle can move as it pleases!

Howdy is offline Putting Priorities in Order, Busier than ever. Catch me if you can
    --
    Your talking about the clip to hold the main needle?
    Redneck trail tip: Cut a piece from the bottom of a pop can ( thickest part ). Put a hole in the middle and then a slit from one side to the hole. Did this on a trail ride for a friend and it lasted quite a long time until he got the proper clip.
    Howdy

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Howdy View Post
    Your talking about the clip to hold the main needle?
    Redneck trail tip: Cut a piece from the bottom of a pop can ( thickest part ). Put a hole in the middle and then a slit from one side to the hole. Did this on a trail ride for a friend and it lasted quite a long time until he got the proper clip.
    Howdy
    Thanks Howdy. I cut a slit in a washer and it seems to be working okay. It's a little heavier than the clip but not sure if it'll affect anything.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //