//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Gear shifter wont upshift to next gear?

--

Gear shifter wont upshift to next gear?

So I yes adjusted the clutch to the specs.1983 red 185s ( 1/4 turn clockwise from the friction point) away So now when I take her for a spin, it wont grab the next gear unless I pick up on the gear shifter to grab the next gear ? It seems very odd!! So whats up with that ?? Is something broken now or what ??Very frustrated …..

--
    Did it work before you adjusted it?
    It sucks to get old

--
    UUmmm, yah

--
    Ok, so without ever having worked on that model of trike I’m just speculating here.

Rule of thumb is that if the clutch isn’t disengaged it will be very difficult to disengage the transmission. Forcing the shift can damage the shift forks. Re-read the manual and check your work again.

If it is possible to see the secondary clutch pack by removing the oil dipstick, take it out and work the shift lever with your hand while watching the clutch plates, or even better yet sticking your finger in there to feel them. They should begin to move just after you begin to move the shift lever. There is supposed to always be a little bit of play in that assembly to allow for the clutch plates to get hot and expand. Without that play, your clutch plates will always be slightly disengaged at operating temperature and that will destroy the clutch pretty quickly.
    Last edited by El Camexican; 10-07-2018 at 09:55 AM.
    It sucks to get old

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //