//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Big red pulls hard to the right. Any ideas?

--

Big red pulls hard to the right. Any ideas?

Hi all,

So my big red is pulling to the right if you take your hands off the bars. What should I look at that would cause this?

I was thinking maybe my crappy brakes that dont work or air pressure? But it says 2psi is what it should be do basically nothing.

Thank you for any ideas

--
    Bent fork(s)

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

--
    Tire circumference...
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

--
    ^ What dirtcrasher said.

Yea, something could possibly be bent, but I think most often it is the tire circumference. Tire pressure at the low values we need to run on our tires is a very bad indicator of the inflated size of the tire. Your best option is to measure the outside circumference and adjust air pressure to make them the same.

So, get the machine up on a block so both rear tires are in the air. Best case, use a narrow tape measure and hook it on one of the knobbies in the middle of the tire (use a string if you don't have anything better). Rotate the tire and lay the tape on nice and straight to get your circumference measurement. Check the other tire the same way and adjust air in our out till they match.

If that doesn't work, then yea, something is bent.
    - Frank

1984 200ES Big Red
    1985 350X (x2)
    1986 350X
    1986 250SX
    1984 Auto-X
    1984 ATC70
    1985 ATC70

--
    Nothing is bent that I know for sure. Because I've owned this trike for ten years and it just started doing this recently and in the only rider.

I will jack up the back and measure the tires. These are still the original tires that the trike wore off the assembly line in 82 btw.
    Our new property has a lot of these ultra sharp little stickers that come off and attach to your pants and shoes etc. They are circular with tones of very sharp points. Not sure if one could puncture a tire?

--
    I think it's unlikely that those little stick-tights (what we called them) could puncture a tire. What has killed several of my tires over the years are the areas where my father brush-hogged and cut down all the small sappling trees. They leave really nice sharp pointy spears anchored in the ground and if you drive through the area, you are almost guaranteed a puncture.

Let us know what you find out after adjusting the tire pressure to match your tire sizes. Try to get them as close as you can and then give it a test drive.
    - Frank

1984 200ES Big Red
    1985 350X (x2)
    1986 350X
    1986 250SX
    1984 Auto-X
    1984 ATC70
    1985 ATC70

--
    Quote Originally Posted by wonderboy View Post
    I think it's unlikely that those little stick-tights (what we called them) could puncture a tire. What has killed several of my tires over the years are the areas where my father brush-hogged and cut down all the small sappling trees. They leave really nice sharp pointy spears anchored in the ground and if you drive through the area, you are almost guaranteed a puncture.

Let us know what you find out after adjusting the tire pressure to match your tire sizes. Try to get them as close as you can and then give it a test drive.
    Yeah I was doubting those little buggers could puncture a tire too but my daughters bicycle also has a flat so I want sure if they caused both flats.

I am going to measure the big red tires today and report back.

Thank you

--
    Swing arm bearings
    1982 ATC 70
    1983 ATC 200E yard rat
    1984 ATC 200X
    1984 ATC 200S (X2)
    1985 ATC 70 (X2)
    1985 ATC 200S
    1985 ATC 250R
    1986 TRX 70
    1986 ATC 350X
    2004 kfx 700 XC
    2006 prarie 700 XC
    2009 Brute Force 750
    2020 CF Moto 600

--
    Profile says he has a "1982 Honda big red 200E", so no swingarm bearings on this one (assuming this is the machine the OP is still riding).
    - Frank

1984 200ES Big Red
    1985 350X (x2)
    1986 350X
    1986 250SX
    1984 Auto-X
    1984 ATC70
    1985 ATC70

--
    Quote Originally Posted by wonderboy View Post
    Profile says he has a "1982 Honda big red 200E", so no swingarm bearings on this one (assuming this is the machine the OP is still riding).
    Yup, 82 big red. My only trike. I didnt have time to lift it up and measure the tires. Will do tomorrow.

So should I inflate to 2psi and make sure both tape out the same length?

I should note it's on the blacktop when I really notice this.

--
    Yea, pick the pressure you want (not sure what the manual says) and set one tire to that. Then make the other one match in size. I typically thought the BigRed ran around 3-3.5 psi. The amount of pressure in this case isn't as important as making the tires the same size.

EDIT: Just looked it up and you are right on. Book calls for 2.2 PSI.

If you notice it more on blacktop, it helps support the idea of different tire sizes due to air pressure. The tires get a better grip on the blacktop and will accentuate the pull. One you hit the dirt and the tire can slip a bit, the pulling effect won't be as strong.
    - Frank

1984 200ES Big Red
    1985 350X (x2)
    1986 350X
    1986 250SX
    1984 Auto-X
    1984 ATC70
    1985 ATC70

efhondakid is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    Inflate right tire until it goes straight. Y’all are over thinking this measuring tires and what not.
    2 in the back, 1 in the front.

Leevvii is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    are the front axle and bearings OK? loose axle might cause enough slack to allow the wheel to slop around and steer poorly, or bearing binding causing drag on the right side
    n

Scootertrash is offline Just Too Addicted: Protecting Our Community The day begins with 3WW
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by efhondakid View Post
    Inflate right tire until it goes straight. Y’all are over thinking this measuring tires and what not.
    What he said. And for cryin out loud get some new tires!
    Quote Originally Posted by fabiodriven View Post
    Trick the people into thinking they're enacting their own will and you have willing slaves.

Liberalism suspends the intellect of its victims, while at the same time tricking them into believing that they're smarter than everyone else.

If we've done business together, please leave me feedback. Thank You!:

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...t=Scootertrash

--
    I am going to inflate right as it seems lower in pressure. Both tires tape out about 77-78" but take that with a grain of salt as the tape doesn't follow the tires curve well.

I jacked up the rear and the tires spin pretty freely. If you give er a spin it goes for a couple seconds.

What's odd is I just inflated both to 3psi not long ago so if one is low already, that's why I wondered about a leak.

I need new tires as the lugs are gettingsmall but like having the OE tires too!

Edit. Just added air to right tire. Tracks straight now. I will monitor to see if it holds air
    Last edited by Pryme; 10-17-2018 at 05:56 PM.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //