//ArrowChat Code
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Need help with 85 Honda 250R ATC

--
    I wore out 12 of those motors with 4 different bikes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

--
    Ok so I did the compression test again this morning, after 20 kicks with the throttle wide open im at approximately 160 psi. After adding a teaspoon of oil in the spark plug area im at approximately 175 psi. The head gasket is sealed. No leaks. Everything is tight. It's brand new, oem gasket. With adding the teaspoon of oil, this tells me there is a head gasket leak? Im not seeing it. It ran perfectly fine before with a average of 150-160 psi. I don't believe this is preventing it from starting.

--
    That means your rings/bore is either worn to the point of not sealing or or rings haven’t seated yet. Have your grounded your spark plug to your head to see if you are getting spark?
    Feedback for yaegerb: Click Here

Need something blasted or polished or both? Send me a PM

Outlaw #24 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Kick it over with the radiator cap off . If the head gasket is leaking it will bubble through the fluid in the carb just from kicking it over a few times. You say it won't start and carb is oily. This might be that your filter has to much oil on it. Check the clip on the pin in the carb to make sure it isn't broken. Check the reeds make sure they are good because this should shut and open because it is a Valve and if it fails will let fluid go in both directions. the seal may be bad on the clutch side and letting oil into the crank case area. The seals should be changed anyway if it has never been done or you will eventually be rebuilding the top end again. Seals on a 85 -86 are 30 years old. You fuel mix is probably ok as you have said it jetted out good. Check it out and get back to us!

--
    Quote Originally Posted by yaegerb View Post
    That means your rings/bore is either worn to the point of not sealing or or rings haven’t seated yet. Have your grounded your spark plug to your head to see if you are getting spark?
    Yes I checked the spark plug by grounding it to the head and I am getting spark. I noticed when I was kicking it there was a strong smell of gas coming out of the spark plug hole.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw #24 View Post
    Kick it over with the radiator cap off . If the head gasket is leaking it will bubble through the fluid in the carb just from kicking it over a few times. You say it won't start and carb is oily. This might be that your filter has to much oil on it. Check the clip on the pin in the carb to make sure it isn't broken. Check the reeds make sure they are good because this should shut and open because it is a Valve and if it fails will let fluid go in both directions. the seal may be bad on the clutch side and letting oil into the crank case area. The seals should be changed anyway if it has never been done or you will eventually be rebuilding the top end again. Seals on a 85 -86 are 30 years old. You fuel mix is probably ok as you have said it jetted out good. Check it out and get back to us!
    I did this and there were no bubbles. The air filter is dry. No oil at all. The clip on the carb is fine. I am just confused here as to why all of a sudden after riding for an hour that this thing refuses to start back up. I put a new 38mm knock off carb on this evening to see if it was the carb and I am having the same problem. So im guessing that has been ruled out. Can bad crank seals make it not start, or will it just have poor engine performance while it's running?

--
    Forgot to mention, when I took the spark plug out it is wet with gas.

--
    It could be a sheared woodruff key on the stator side. Do you have a flywheel puller? You may want to pull off the flywheel and ensure the key is still there and in good condition.

--
    Yes I am going to have to get to it later into the weekend or next week. The stator can't be bad if I am getting spark, correct? Just want to see if this is something that needs to be looked into while I take the cover off. You think the crankcase is possibly flooded with gas preventing it from starting? I would think though after draining the oil it would have gas in it, which wasn't the case when it was recently drained. It was nearly as clean as when I put it in before my hour of riding.

--
    Doubtful that the stator is bad. I also doubt the crankcase is flooded with gas preventing it from starting.

Outlaw #24 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Did you check the reeds?
    The Key can be bad and still send a spark it would just be sparking at the wrong time so Yes the woodruff key can be bad and still have spark.
    Everybody with a 2 stroke should shut the gas off after riding because when you shut the engine off after it's been ridden the engine is hot and when it cools the cylinder can actually go into a vacuum and pull the gas through the carb and draw it into the engine and it will flood the bottom end with fuel. This doesn't happen every time but it does happen so, Always, always, always shut the gas off. If you are a racer JUST don't forget to turn it on again!

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw #24 View Post
    Did you check the reeds?
    The Key can be bad and still send a spark it would just be sparking at the wrong time so Yes the woodruff key can be bad and still have spark.
    Everybody with a 2 stroke should shut the gas off after riding because when you shut the engine off after it's been ridden the engine is hot and when it cools the cylinder can actually go into a vacuum and pull the gas through the carb and draw it into the engine and it will flood the bottom end with fuel. This doesn't happen every time but it does happen so, Always, always, always shut the gas off. If you are a racer JUST don't forget to turn it on again!
    When I put some parts back together a few months ago the reeds were taken out and cleaned. They looked fine. This is something I did not replace when I put things back together. I did not see any light through them. As far as how old they are, I do not know. If I take the reeds back out, what am I looking for? Seems unusual that the reeds would just suddenly fail and cause it not to start. I would think it would start...but have a harder time starting if the reeds are bad?

--
    I had a chance to take out the reeds today and found after I took them out they are completely saturated with gas. Inside the intake port is also saturated. Do these reeds look okay? If it is flooded with gas, how do you get the gas out of the crank?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181018_160037.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	90.6 KB 
ID:	255112Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181018_160139_Burst01.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	105.5 KB 
ID:	255113

--
    Those look original. Are they metal? If so they are the original spring steel and I would replace them if you can see light through the slit between the reed petal and reed block. Shine a light into the mouth of the cage and look for light peering through. If you seek light, get a set of boyesen pro reeds. If you do replace them you won’t need the reed stoppers. You could suck the gas out with a mighty vac and a long thin hose. Again I doubt gas in your crank case is a problem. I rarely see this happen in 250rs. It’s more prevalent in Banshee’

--
    Yes they are metal. I checked to see if light was coming through, and to my surprise there is one side that had a decent amount of light coming through while the other side did not. Didn't see this light when I checked them several months back. Not sure if this is the problem to it not starting but I am going to change them out for sure.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //