//ArrowChat Code
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Need help with 85 Honda 250R ATC

--
    Just got it out earlier and ordered a oem key off eBay for $7 bucks. I looked inside the flywheel at the keyway and there is no damage at all. Do these things just randomly go bad?

--
    Quote Originally Posted by rmcollector View Post
    Just got it out earlier and ordered a oem key off eBay for $7 bucks. I looked inside the flywheel at the keyway and there is no damage at all. Do these things just randomly go bad?
    No, it’s usually from someone putting a motor together not know what the hell they are doing. Or they lose the key and they just cram whatever they can find in the keyway.
    Feedback for yaegerb: Click Here

Need something blasted or polished or both? Send me a PM

Outlaw #24 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Glad you found the Problem!!! Sometimes this happens and sometimes it doesn't. Good luck and let us know how you make out with this.

--
    Got the woodruff key installed and put it back together, turned the fuel on the carb and had it started for no more than a second...then it died. It did this 2 times before I decided to take the spark plug off to check it, it was soaked with gas. I took the header pipe off to look inside at the piston and it is carrying all gas and some oil with with it again.

Carburetor flooding crank? What else could it be? It ran a total of 2-3 seconds max. The overflow on the carb has no gas coming out when it is turned on. I am at a loss here. I am going buying a new carb, but just wanted to get any feedback that anyone may have on this.

--
    Got the woodruff key installed and put it back together, turned the fuel on the carb and had it started for no more than a second...then it died. It did this 2 times before I decided to take the spark plug off to check it, it was soaked with gas. I took the header pipe off to look inside at the piston and it is carrying all gas and some oil with with it again.

Carburetor flooding crank? What else could it be? It ran a total of 2-3 seconds max. The overflow on the carb has no gas coming out when it is turned on. I am at a loss here. I am going buying a new carb, but just wanted to get any feedback that anyone may have on this.
    Put a clear hose on your puke tube fitting on the bottom of the carb. Have enough hose so you can bend it up past the float bowl. Loosen the bowl screw and watch how high the fuel flows into the tube. If the fuel flows up and reads higher than the top of your float bowl you have an issue and need to adjust your float height or the viton tip on the needle won’t seal anymore and it needs to be replaced.

Also while you were in missing with your flywheel did you set the pulse air gap by chance? A business card should fit snugly between the flywheel indicator and the pulse generator.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by yaegerb View Post
    Put a clear hose on your puke tube fitting on the bottom of the carb. Have enough hose so you can bend it up past the float bowl. Loosen the bowl screw and watch how high the fuel flows into the tube. If the fuel flows up and reads higher than the top of your float bowl you have an issue and need to adjust your float height or the viton tip on the needle won’t seal anymore and it needs to be replaced.

Also while you were in missing with your flywheel did you set the pulse air gap by chance? A business card should fit snugly between the flywheel indicator and the pulse generator.
    Ok, no, I did not do this when I put it back together. I don't recall anhthing about the pulse air gap in the repair manual...or I possibly may have missed it. May sound like a silly question, but the flywheel indicator is the raised metal on the outside of the flywheel, and the pulse generator is the little black looking box?

--
    Ok, no, I did not do this when I put it back together. I don't recall anhthing about the pulse air gap in the repair manual...or I possibly may have missed it. May sound like a silly question, but the flywheel indicator is the raised metal on the outside of the flywheel, and the pulse generator is the little black looking box?
    I don't believe the pulse air gap is mentioned in the manual. Yes, the flywheel indicator is the raised metal hump on the flywheel and the pulse generator is the black box with a small circular magnet on the side facing the flywheel.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by yaegerb View Post
    I don't believe the pulse air gap is mentioned in the manual. Yes, the flywheel indicator is the raised metal hump on the flywheel and the pulse generator is the black box with a small circular magnet on the side facing the flywheel.
    Ok will take a look at both of these this weekend. Was going to order the Keihin 34mm pj carb, $170-$180 sound about right?

--
    Got the new carb in today and she fired right up after a few kicks! Rode her around for about 30 min or so and runs great. Haven't seen no coolant loss that I mentioned in the first post, I will just have to keep an eye out and go from there if something comes up.

I appreciate everyone's help, especially yaegerb. Thanks for keeping in touch and mentioning that woodruff key. Big help for sure.

--
    Got the new carb in today and she fired right up after a few kicks! Rode her around for about 30 min or so and runs great. Haven't seen no coolant loss that I mentioned in the first post, I will just have to keep an eye out and go from there if something comes up.

I appreciate everyone's help, especially yaegerb. Thanks for keeping in touch and mentioning that woodruff key. Big help for sure.
    No worries man, glad to hear she is running well.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //