//ArrowChat Code
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's discuss trikes in different countries.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ps2fixer View Post
    ..... The great firewall of china might have the site blocked too for censorship, .....
    They do

That's why Camexican hasn't been on this week. When he travels to China, he can't login to 3WW from there

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

--
    Quote Originally Posted by keister View Post
    The most visible difference to me being every trike sold in Canada was different than every trike sold in the US. Canadian trikes have 2 sets of reflectors (front and rear).

1985 was absolutely the banner year for ATCs. Last of the 70, first 350x, liquid R, and full suspension Big Red. Team green might argue otherwise considering the second gen Tecate was 86-87.
    Oh yes, the 350x! Of course the 250sx too... which is probably the closest thing to a sport trike we had in our area growing up. A buddy of mine upgraded his 110 back in the day and convinced his dad to get the SX over the Big Red.. Enough utility for what his dad wanted, and a little sportier for him.

Going from memory 85: ATC 70, 110 (?) , 125m, 200s , 200m, 200x (last gen? or same as 84?), 250 ES, 250 SX, 250 R, 350X (85.5?)

--
    I'm not so sure that trikes would still be produced in those kinds of numbers today as they were from 69-87. If so, it would be in very small numbers in my worthless opinion

New Quads were already on the market and selling in 1983. Suzuki was dumping their R&D money into quads since 82, I think, which is arguably why you never saw a Suzuki sport trike. I remember riding a Suzuki quad in 1984 and thinking how forgiving it was to ride compared to the 200S I was used to and alot of other people were noticing this as well. The Quadsport came out and sold very well in my neck of the woods with the Quadracer right behind that and they were selling for a year unopposed before the TRX250R arrived in 1986.

Yeah, the media complained about trike safety but they complained about dirt bikes, mopeds, minibikes, buggies, sandrails, Corvairs, Chevy pickups, and the Ford Pinto as well. I honestly think that the production cessation demand wasn't fought that hard by three of the big four manufacturers because Suzuki didn't bother with trikes anymore anyway and Honda wasn't ten minutes behind Suzuki with their own quads with Polaris, Yamaha, and Kawasaki eventually getting on the bandwagon shortly thereafter. They knew that the future consumer wanted a more user friendly machine that appeared safer for the inexperienced and the lazy riders... This is eventually what happened to quads as well. They got bigger and then they were designed to carry two-up riders. They started making the equivalent of Lay-Z-boy recliners with armrests and cupholders and whizzbangs to put on your quad for your passenger. Then naturally, I think it moved on to UTVs, like Corey said, where you drive a mini buggy that's wrapped in a cage with a full harness on your seat. You can be as irresponsible, inexperienced, and lazy as you want because you have the added safety features of full cage and seatbelts.

After all, it's the lazy, irresponsible, and inexperienced that tend to end up in the emergency room and then on 20/20 so a market that's looking to protect itself from lost profits from safety troubles will start designing machines to be more dummy proof and that seems to be the direction this market has gone. The whole entire sport and it's market has always been negatively influenced by it's lowest common denominator.

So let's say you're a new hipster parent who grew up in town far from ATVs or trails. You want an adventure machine for the whole family so what are you going to put your kids/wife/husband in? A buggy with belts and cages or a giant quad with heel guards and mudflaps?

If Honda would have added a second seat next to the driver on their Oddysey and Pilot models, they would have had a twenty year jump on the market and maybe we'd have skipped quads altogether in this natural progression from living on the edge with trikes to off-roading inside of safety cages with Rzrs

These are just my silly theories

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ironchop; 10-23-2018 at 05:50 PM.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by keister View Post
    The most visible difference to me being every trike sold in Canada was different than every trike sold in the US. Canadian trikes have 2 sets of reflectors (front and rear).

1985 was absolutely the banner year for ATCs. Last of the 70, first 350x, liquid R, and full suspension Big Red. Team green might argue otherwise considering the second gen Tecate was 86-87.

From footage of some northern communities, skidoos/trikes/quads used like cars.. surprised they didn't mandate brake lights! Even some not-so north rural places atvs used quite a bit on and around the roads. Alaska must be the same?

Where I was back in the 80s, there was no official trail system... basically just Crown land and we had the full run if it... bikes did not even need registration and could generally just pull into a gas station to fill up. We weren't that rural but from my backyard I could jump on a trail (private land but they didn't care), then jump on the train tracks and go any direction on crown land over the old woods roads, trails, bogs, rivers you name it. In winter of course with the lakes and ponds frozen it was even more options. It was great if there was a guy with a skidoo to break the trail, but the trikes could be pretty good in snow from what I remember. We were kids and I remember me and a friend arguing with some other guys that quads would never catch on cause they'd be crap in the snow.. . but then someone in town got an 86? TRX350 4x4... doh. Then, of course it was "fine then, but if you get stuck you're screwed...". From experience we knew it only took a few 12 year olds to lift/pull/pry/tug a big red out of a some pretty nasty holes,.... Even one tiny 12 yo (me) with a few sticks, some boughs, and the right throttle control can do wonders...

Anyways enough memory lane!

--
    My memory lane has 3 ruts..

--
    When Honda Discontinued there sport quads a few years back they made a statement that they would keep an eye on the market and if it turned around that they would bring them back...yeah right. How is there a market to keep an eye on if Yamaha is the only one selling a sport quad? But I guess you never know all it takes is one machine to turn the market on its head look what happened with the 400ex in 1999 started the atv boom. But then again the Yamaha Rhino started the SXS craze know look at whats going on, nearly $30k SXS on the market.
    "I'm Kind Of Like The Turtle Man Of 3Wheelers."

1986 Honda 350X
    1985 Honda 250R
    1985 Honda 200X

--
    Yup we had reflectors in Canada. Safety first.

I think we had some different colours also(?) on our seats. Blue compaired to black on certain models.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'83 200X

Chicks love guys that ride trikes

--
    Quote Originally Posted by swampthang View Post
    When Honda Discontinued there sport quads a few years back they made a statement that they would keep an eye on the market and if it turned around that they would bring them back...yeah right. How is there a market to keep an eye on if Yamaha is the only one selling a sport quad? But I guess you never know all it takes is one machine to turn the market on its head look what happened with the 400ex in 1999 started the atv boom. But then again the Yamaha Rhino started the SXS craze know look at whats going on, nearly $30k SXS on the market.
    Speaking of Canadian differences, Canada only has Rubicon, Foreman, and TRX420... that's it for Honda 2018 quads!

We lost the TRX90, 250x a few years ago...

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 200Maniac View Post
    Speaking of Canadian differences, Canada only has Rubicon, Foreman, and TRX420... that's it for Honda 2018 quads!

We lost the TRX90, 250x a few years ago...
    And from the pics, not even sure if reflectors come standard!

--
    For fun I searched 3 wheeler japan on google images to see if anything came up. Tons and tons of mopeds, motorcycles, and 3 wheeled cars came up including the Toyota i-Road which was new to me. Even found a photo of a person riding a 3 wheeler in Japan, just a little different than I imagined though...

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/b...ery-85660.html

Only in Japan!

--
    Actually, did Canada not get the 86 200s and 125m (upright motor)?

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/Brochur...ulllineup.html (US)

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/Brochur...rtrax-ATC.html (CAN)

--
    Actually, did Canada not get the 86 200s and 125m (upright motor)?

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/Brochur...ulllineup.html (US)

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/Brochur...rtrax-ATC.html (CAN)

And where's their 86 TRX 250R?
    "I'm Kind Of Like The Turtle Man Of 3Wheelers."

1986 Honda 350X
    1985 Honda 250R
    1985 Honda 200X

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Canadian View Post
    Yup we had reflectors in Canada. Safety first.

I think we had some different colours also(?) on our seats. Blue compaired to black on certain models.
    For all models, the US color was different from our colour.

--
    Interesting catch on the seats, didn't know about that. Most US models were black seats till around 85 or so? I know the 83-84 250r had a blue seat, but basically all the smaller models were black except the 200x off the top of my head.

@ironchop's theory

Fully support it, it kind of adds to the day and age we live in, no one wants to take responsibility for their actions, so the things they use have to be "stupid proof" for them to be happy. I'd rather ride the death trap of a 3 wheeler for pleasure than a side by side or even an off road truck. But for work, give me the more capable machine that fits in the area the work is to be performed (big red, 3 wheeler or side by side, or a 4x4 truck etc).

Around my area it was illegal to ride atvs/atcs on the side of the road, a few did it anyway but not many. It just recently was passed a few years ago to allow atvs, and I haven't looked into the wording up the updated law but it did lump 3 wheeled atvs with snowmobiles as not being allowed. I know the upper half of Michigan is a lot more open on the laws, one county north of me and it's legal for snowmobiles and atvs on the roads. Not sure about the laws, but Kentucky/Ohio boarder area has a lot of people riding on the roads too. I do know any federal road it's banned on, but not too many atvs can even meet the 75mph speed limit on the express way lol.

I can't believe Honda got out of sport quads?! It seems true though, the most sports quad I see in the model listing for 2018 machines is a TRX250X. I guess I better get a TRX450R before the market eats them up and they end up like 3 wheelers with higher and higher prices. I know there's the 700xx and such, I think the 450r is a pretty happy medium for size vs power etc. I guess it's debatable if the TRX680 Rincon is a sports quad or not since it's listed as a "Sport Utility" model. It's faster than a stock 350x in a straight line race, but they are heavy. My dad does pretty well on one though, and I've always kept up with him while trail riding. I think his machine tops out slightly faster than mine, but it's also double the cc's.

Maybe there's too many people like me that buy used sport models instead of new. Heck where is atv racing going to go, or is that canceled too (makes sense, I don't watch it, but I've seen it on tv when I was a kid ~15 years ago). Could be the flip side, Honda just doesn't want the possible liability if the public suddenly sees sports quads as unsafe because there's no roll cage etc in the design or whatever (like the 3 wheeler coverage in the late 80s).

--
    For all models, the US color was different from our colour.
    For models with black colored seats in the US, Canada had black coloured seats.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //