//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's discuss trikes in different countries.

--

Let's discuss trikes in different countries.

Just thinking about this today. What different models and years of 3wheelers where produced and sold in other parts of the world then America? I've hear of the Super Reds (Big Red) ran till about 1988 in some countries. 200x quad sold in Mexico I think it was? and thought I read somewhere where Tri-z where sold in some European countries until something like 1990?? Any info,pic, insight lol.
    "I'm Kind Of Like The Turtle Man Of 3Wheelers."

1986 Honda 350X
    1985 Honda 250R
    1985 Honda 200X

--
    http://www.3wheelerworld.com/album.php?albumid=782 Found a Link to the Fourtrax 200x.

1986 Honda 350X
    1985 Honda 250R
    1985 Honda 200X

Leevvii is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    Ineresting topic, I dont believe, from what i remember and just researched, that Australia actually banned them, the manufactures just stopped making them due to the US ban on importing them, i can find no details of legislation that say we banned them over here, first study on ATV safety was in 2011 when "Australia's Heads of Workplace Safety Authorities (HWSA) in 2011 released a strategy intended to reduce the number of deaths and serious injuries associated with quad-bike use" mostly farm related accident were the concern.
    An interesting thing i also read, concerning US 3 wheeler law was [though i could not find any info to support this quote]
    "Three-wheelers can still be continued to be built and sold by American manufacturers if any chose to build them."
    n

oldoo is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by Leevvii View Post
    Ineresting topic, I dont believe, from what i remember and just researched, that Australia actually banned them, the manufactures just stopped making them due to the US ban on importing them, i can find no details of legislation that say we banned them over here, first study on ATV safety was in 2011 when "Australia's Heads of Workplace Safety Authorities (HWSA) in 2011 released a strategy intended to reduce the number of deaths and serious injuries associated with quad-bike use" mostly farm related accident were the concern.
    An interesting thing i also read, concerning US 3 wheeler law was [though i could not find any info to support this quote]
    "Three-wheelers can still be continued to be built and sold by American manufacturers if any chose to build them."
    Hey mate, fellow skip here

As far as I know trikes are banned from all AMA events. Yes there may not be a legislation ban here as there was in the us. Hopefully this changes soon as people are trying to bring the trikes back which would be great.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

--
    Going from memory (I'm USA based), Uk and Canada + probably more had the 84 atc200es run into the 85 model year. Same with the ATC250es for the 87 model running into 88 with slight changes (I think that was the only year for the gray seat, right?).

Besides those two models, I haven't really seen anyone talking about differences for USA vs other countries. I do sell parts international on eBay and so far no ignition switches or harnesses have been returned for not fitting the application which is USA based year/models.

I guess this goes without saying the possible 1987 ATC250R and ATC350X, but they never were mass produced, maybe a prototype exists yet, and of course whatever machines were used for the brochure photos.

This is a pretty interesting topic for myself, so subbing to the thread for any other models. Even differences for the same year/model but country to country there's differences would be interesting to see.

--
    Pretty sure Canadian models/line ups identical to US. Only difference maybe English/French stickers. The Big Red in 85 was the 250ES. There may have been 87s, but even by 86, the 4 wheelers were coming on strong. Not that many 87s sold I'd say if any... not that many 86s for that matter.

--
    Does anyone agree 85 must be the pinnacle year..with the 85 250R and the 85 250ES being awesome evolutions of the whole genre. Plus that year still had some classic looking machines, like the 200m/200s, and last year for 70.

Those trikes had better styling than some of the late 80s/early 90s Honda quads... like that upright engine trx125 and that 200 with the bubble butt trunk... fugly.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 200Maniac View Post
    Does anyone agree 85 must be the pinnacle year..with the 85 250R and the 85 250ES being awesome evolutions of the whole genre. Plus that year still had some classic looking machines, like the 200m/200s, and last year for 70.

Those trikes had better styling than some of the late 80s/early 90s Honda quads... like that upright engine trx125 and that 200 with the bubble butt trunk... fugly.
    Yea seems like 85 was a pretty big year across models. If I recall correctly the highest sale of a single model/year was the 1984 ATC200ES. Don't forget 85 was when the ATC350X was introduced too which is my personal favorite machine, and second favorite also introduced in 85 was the ATC250SX.

Don't know a whole lot about the early TRX models, but I suspect the upright TRX125 engine is the same as the upright ATC125M engine? Not sure what the design goal was for that, maybe to appear like the bigger models.

I might have gotten the Canadian thing wrong, I swear someone was talking about a 88 250es or a 85 200es in the past from Canada though lol. My memory defo isn't perfect though. Also pretty sure 85 was the last big year for sales, 86 and 87 sales tapered down a lot likely because of all the "issues" with 3 wheelers in the eyes of the media and such. Quads have their place, and that kick started the quad sales, but I always wonder what if there was no negative press on the 3 wheelers, where would they have gone in say 5-10 years.

--
    Hard to say how long 3wheelers would have been around if there wasn't a ban. Pretty clear USA was the main buyer sense other countries weren't banned and there sales weren't good enough to keep manufacturing them. Sales and demand is all they look at. Just look at what has happened in the last 10 years with sport quads,gone. Big ticket manufacturers are exploiting now is SXS. Look how expensive they are to buy and how much the accessories cost. Why spend the money on building atvs worth half the sales price and how much can you spend on atv accessories vs SXS buy in price and outragous accessory cost.

1986 Honda 350X
    1985 Honda 250R
    1985 Honda 200X

--
    I enjoy member pics from all over the World...In 30+yrs these things could possible exist on every Continent. Does 3WheelerWorld cover the globe?

--
    The most visible difference to me being every trike sold in Canada was different than every trike sold in the US. Canadian trikes have 2 sets of reflectors (front and rear).

Quote Originally Posted by 200Maniac View Post
    1985 was absolutely the banner year for ATCs. Last of the 70, first 350x, liquid R, and full suspension Big Red. Team green might argue otherwise considering the second gen Tecate was 86-87.

--
    Yea side by sides are the big hit thing. It's probably a perception thing too, you're inside a roll cage kind of like a car, so the driver/rides feel safer etc vs saddled up on a quad or 3 wheeler. Ironically my dad bought a big red, $12k new with cash and it included the cab top, back and windshield, but he did a ton of shopping around to get that price and we drove something like 600 miles to get it vs $14k+ locally w\o the extras. I have a hard time forking out that kind of money when you can take a old beater truck, shorten it up and have basically the same thing with more power, stronger axles/hualing ability (work wise), and parts are much easier to get cheap. Down side of course is suspension isn't amazing so off roading likely will be slower, and the fact it's front engine instead of mid engine. My dad's machine was bought for work, and it's hauled a ton of wood in the last 2 years, somewhere around 120 face cord (wood for 3 people + extra to sell). 4 wheel diff lock is nice, not a common option on cheap trucks, big time small ones.

I agree USA is probably the #1 buyers, seems we like to beat on stuff, if it wasn't for quads/3wheelers/snowmobiles etc, there's be more people beating on old trucks/cars and such. I do both atc's and cars/trucks lol. It's amazing how much abuse a 1992 Toyota Corolla can take across 5 years. Need to change the oil in it some day lol, not bad for a $250 beater + head gasket job. It's my truckolla till I get a proper truck platform going for a yard machine, likely a 1993 Toyota 4Runner, ironically head gasket job for that one too (only two I've ever owned that needed that job out of 40+ others).

As far as 3ww being world wide, nothing stops anyone from typing in 3wheelerworld.com in their browser, but language barriers is the likely the limiting factor. The great firewall of china might have the site blocked too for censorship, same goes for other countries that censor their internet access to the public. Photos are always fun to look at though :P.

EDIT: Oh yea the reflectors on the Canadian machines makes a lot more sense now, I saw it was optional in the parts diagrams, but didn't know they were more common or required in Canada. I guess that goes for cars/trucks too, day time running lights seems to be a requirement there based on wire diagrams from the early 90s on having CA with DRL and USA w\o them.
    Last edited by ps2fixer; 10-23-2018 at 12:40 PM.

--
    Here's something else to think about. Honda ATC built in Japan. How many do you think actually where sold in Japan? I have yet to see a picture or video of a Japanese dude man handling a Big Red threw the Forest of Japan. Wheres all the Great Japanese ATC Racers? For that matter did 3wheeler racing ever really take off in other countries?

1986 Honda 350X
    1985 Honda 250R
    1985 Honda 200X

--
    I personally wouldn't think Japan had much of a market for ATVs for pleasure like USA, however from my understanding the ATC90 was designed for Rice fields, basically extreme swampy type of ground where high flotation tires and a very light machine is needed. the ATC90/US90 giant balloon tires put less pressure on the ground per square inch than a person standing on their own feet. Seems like the same logic can be applied to sand dunes (seems the atc90 is a fairly common pick if you discount the 250r/350x's for their raw power). I live way east of the big sand dunes though, maybe someone from California can chime in on that claim.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by swampthang View Post
    Here's something else to think about. Honda ATC built in Japan. How many do you think actually where sold in Japan? I have yet to see a picture or video of a Japanese dude man handling a Big Red threw the Forest of Japan. Wheres all the Great Japanese ATC Racers? For that matter did 3wheeler racing ever really take off in other countries?
    Yeah good questions

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //