//ArrowChat Code

Thread: What’s the best way to repair k0/k1 Atc 70 exhaust cover

oldoo is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --

What’s the best way to repair k0/k1 Atc 70 exhaust cover

Hey guys,

Picked up this a while ago but it needs to be repaired. What do you think would be the best way to fix this ?

I was thinking to cut around the whole inner edge and remake the whole inside section and weld it in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

--
    Hondaatc70.com atcheaven.com. That one is toast! They do make a good re-pop plastic one. Good used ones pop up on eBay every once in a while.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 67camaro496 View Post
    Hondaatc70.com atcheaven.com. That one is toast! They do make a good re-pop plastic one. Good used ones pop up on eBay every once in a while.
    Hey mate, I’m not after a plastic one. I’m really wanting to salvage this one

--
    Well then get a piece of cardboard, place behind pane and trace out big hole on top. The use as a template and cut out of meta stock. Exhaust panel is pretty thin. Then weld or panel bond to back side of panel. You will have to dremel/cut the top to match. The rest of the holes are a little messed up as well. . If you cut out the inner panel around the edges you will have to weld and will warp the panel. Would save a lot of time and have a better finished product if you found a good one on eBay

--

What’s the best way to repair k0/k1 Atc 70 exhaust cover

Quote Originally Posted by 67camaro496 View Post
    Well then get a piece of cardboard, place behind pane and trace out big hole on top. The use as a template and cut out of meta stock. Exhaust panel is pretty thin. Then weld or panel bond to back side of panel. You will have to dremel/cut the top to match. The rest of the holes are a little messed up as well. . If you cut out the inner panel around the edges you will have to weld and will warp the panel. Would save a lot of time and have a better finished product if you found a good one on eBay
    I agree mate, thank you for your input.

But I’m just trying to save it opposed to it being scrapped. The cost of buying one and getting it shipped to aus with import tax isn’t cheap unfortunately.
    I also agree with the warpage. I will just try to cut and weld in a piece to fi in what was cut out on the top. I’m not too concerned about the other holes as it’s not for a resto just a cleaned up beater.

--
    If it were me, I would not cut on it at all. Instead, cut and bend a sheet that would lay perfect over the outside but down inside the recessed edge. Then, flip it over and make several strategic tack welds from the opposite side. This would prevent it from warping and actually make it stronger than the original piece. If your sheetmetal work is on it's game it would look quite good. Wouldn't be a bad idea to use a zinc weld through primer on the two mating sides before you weld it to protect it from any moisture that ever gets trapped.

Best of luck.
    I was born and raised on Venus & I may be here a while.....

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //