//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New from Tucson, Arizona

--

New from Tucson, Arizona

Hey everyone my name’s Jon and I’d just like to say hi and introduce myself. I’ve lived in Tucson since 1994 and I wouldn’t have it any other way. True freedom in my book. I’m 36 years old and an OEF/OIF infantry veteran. Did 6.5 years with 101st ABN, Easy Co 2-506 PIR. I just bought my first 1982 250r ATC and looking for extended knowledge to add to my brain bank. I’ve owned several dirt bike/enduro/motorcycle and grew up on a mini bike but this is my first trike. I am very knowledgeable in vintage 4wd and have done a few frame off restorations on Willys CJ2A’s and Toyota FJ40’s etc, so I can offer that through PM since I’m lacking with ATC’s. I haven’t been on a forum for many years so forgive me if I don’t navigate correctly. I found this site searching for a DG head, extended swingarm, wide axle, and any vintage performance parts for my 250r. So hello everyone and glad to be here.
    1982 Honda 250r ATC
    DG pipe
    DG silencer
    Boyesen carbon fiber reeds
    K&N filter
    Carlisle tires
    Tusk enduro lighting kit (100% street legal)

--
    Welcome and thank you for your service! You've come to the right place. There's tons and tons of knowledge on this site. I myself have no experience with the first gen R but I'm sure someone will chime in.
    Suicide Hill Survivor

The rides:
    1981 ATC110
    1982 ATC185
    1983 ATC185s
    1984 ATC200es
    1985 ATC200x

When the going gets tough, the tough get sideways

--
    First of all, thank you for your service. Second I'm also in Tucson, have a small hoard of trikes including an 84 250R. I also enjoy getting out in my 65 International Scout 80. PM me and I'll give you my number and we'll have to get out for a ride together. It's always nice meeting fellow local three-wheeler enthusiasts.

--
    Welcome, Misfit. While not a veteran, I was in part of OIF3 and 4 as a civilian contractor. I can still feel a connection there.

--
    Hey everyone nice to meet you. Jrobbins that sounds great. My new top end kit is coming in the mail Monday so once I get that done we should ride up Redington. I live at Tanque Verde and Catilina Hwy just east of Safeway. I’ll send you my info when I get a chance. 350for350 what part of Iraq were you in?
    1982 Honda 250r ATC
    DG pipe
    DG silencer
    K&N filter
    Carlisle tires

--
    I did a restore on an old jeep (52 willys) and a FJ 40 also. I sure miss that FJ.

There is quite a few aftermarket goodies for the 1st gen R's out there if you search for them. They are cheap here in so cal. and get more expensive as you go east.
    YAMAHA 450 HYBRID
    85 350X- RED
    85 350x -BLACK
    86 350x-WHITE (with Goki)
    85 250r
    83 atc 70
    84 atc 70
    84 atc 110
    09 yfz 450
    2006 Arctic Cat Prowler
    RZR XP 900

--
    I was in FOB Danger. It was actually where Sadaam had palaces for himself, family, and friends in the city of Tikrit. Right on the Tigris River. It was actually really beautiful there. Here's just a few quick pictures.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KIF_0004.JPG 
Views:	32 
Size:	989.2 KB 
ID:	255331Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KIF_0063.JPG 
Views:	34 
Size:	975.1 KB 
ID:	255332Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KIF_0073.JPG 
Size:	967.1 KB 
ID:	255333Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KIF_0077.JPG 
Size:	973.6 KB 
ID:	255334Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KIF_0088.JPG 
Views:	29 
Size:	897.6 KB 
ID:	255335

--
    Thanks for your service from me as well. What kind of shape is the 250R in? I'm guessing ready to ride, average condition? We love photos if you can post them =)

The 81-82 250R engine was red if I recall correctly, 83-84 was black. I believe both were more or less the exact same engine. 85-86 the engine was redesigned and made water cooled. Basically everyone goes for the last gen 250r, so they are the most expensive. Also the 87-89 250r continued from the 86 design.

I personally own an 82 with a broken frame (right behind right foot peg), and a 83/84 combined machine with a weak engine that needs the cylinder replaced (head studs threads pulled out). Planning to swap the 82 engine on the 83/84 machine, fix it up and figure out if I'm keeping or selling it (I'm more of a 4 stroke guy, but I like power/speed too).

One thing I'd suggest looking over is the harness, seems most of the time the insulation gets hard and breaks at the CDI connector and tail lights. If it's bad, I build aftermarket harnesses. I can make stock layout, or "race" layout with no lighting wiring.

If you're going for a semi-stock look but want more light, seems like using atc350x headlights on a 250r is somewhat common too. I just recently made an adapter harness to make it plug and play so no one has to cut their harnesses up any more. The 350x headlights are 36.5/35w and there's two of them, the 82 250r headlight is 60/60w. The 250r generates 73w max though, so I'm not 100% sure if it would end up being an upgrade or not, no direct experience. The 85-86 generates 159w so it's no problem for it. I suspect there are high output stator/alternators available for the 250r.

Another light upgrade option could be a LED headlight, but it would take a bit more work since the machine generates AC power and most LEDs are setup to using DC power.

--
    I bought it from the wife of the original owner. Her deceased husband bought it new in 82 and died in the late 80’s and it’s been in her garage ever since. He would take it to the dunes once every year so it only has about 8 trips on it and it’s in great shape and original until I put aftermarket parts on it, (list below.). I’m keeping the stock look. I’m looking for a DG head, extended swingarm, and wide axle, and a list of swappable parts from different years/models like longer forks and rear shock. If anyone can help that would be great.
    1982 Honda 250r ATC
    DG pipe
    DG silencer
    K&N filter
    Carlisle tires

--
    How do I add a photo or video in here. I’m still trying to figure this all out.
    1982 Honda 250r ATC
    DG pipe
    DG silencer
    K&N filter
    Carlisle tires

--
    On PC, click the "Go Advanced" button, the on the second page click manage attachments. Top right of the window click "Add Files", then Browse to choose the photo, then upload. The image will show up in the bottom section of the window, once you have them added click Done, or just close that window. Then back in the original window you can click "Submit Reply" to add the reply. Don't forget to have atleast a little bit of a message in the reply or the site will block it (anti-spam).

Typing out how to do it makes it sound like a lot of steps, it's not hard, just a lot of clicks. If you're on a cell phone, I'm not sure exactly, you could try the steps above but it might not work.

--

Pic test

1982 Honda 250r ATC
    DG pipe
    DG silencer
    K&N filter
    Carlisle tires

--
    Seems like you're close. You can edit the post, then click go advanced to poke around it at more. There's also a preview post button to see what it looks like before updating. This is how most forums work, so it's a good learning experience for anyone really.

Not to make things more complicated, but it's also possible to upload photos to another site, then post a link here to it, or embed it with the [img] tags. Maybe some day I should write up a little how to for PC users so I can show photos and such.

Anyway, keep poking around, you'll figure it out in time.

--
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0843.JPG 
Views:	42 
Size:	1.24 MB 
ID:	255348

This should work

--
    Yep, you got it working, nice .

You're right, that 250r looks to be in great shape. Before I remembered which thread I was on, I half thought it was a photo from the early 90s or something lol.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //