//ArrowChat Code

Thread: What is the purpose of cush drive sprockets?

--

What is the purpose of cush drive sprockets?

Never really paid much attention to rear sprockets on 185/200 bikes until a few days ago. Got a 82 185s and put new carrier bearings in it and noticed it has some kind of cobbled up rear sprocket on it. Was inside the 2 cush drive plates but didnt have any of the cushions in between. Sprocket is (just guessing) a newer model bolt on sprocket but hole didnt quite line up so they did some cutting with a torch on it. What is the purpose of cush drive sprockets? Assuming they thought longer life from less shock load ? I think Id be better off just getting a new bolt on style rear sprocket. I seen some on Ebay and noticed they have a offset to them. Do new bolt ons for cush drives bolt to outside of axle hub? Having to take your axle out to change a sprocket is a PITA.
    "I'm Kind Of Like The Turtle Man Of 3Wheelers."

1986 Honda 350X
    1985 Honda 250R
    1985 Honda 200X

--
    Just speculation, but honda lists the rubber pads as rubber dampeners. I suspect it's targeted to give a smooth power delivery. Similar to my Lexus car, instead of 2 U-joints, it has two 6 bolt rubber dampeners, there's no drive shaft wobble at all, and you can't feel the vibration from the engine though the drive-train. Kind of seems pointless on an ATV, big time since the engine isn't rubber mounted or anything. Maybe it's intended so it's easier to not tear up grass, and not break traction in muddy environments as easy.

I don't know a whole lot about the axles, but generally speaking, pretty sure the sprocket goes towards the nearest tire. The chain doesn't have to be 100% perfectly aligned, but closer is better. Since it's so hacked up, maybe it would be easiest for you to just swap to a newer style axle? Pretty sure they mounted the same for the 185/200S series. Heck a 125M axle would probably work too. Not sure about the brake side of things though.

--
    Just for making a need to buy extra Cush bumpers since sprockets generally last a long time that way the bumpers fail sooner. And they can recommend buying new bumpers and sprockets all at once.

Only kidding!!

They reduce vibration and increase sprocket and chain longevity. Also makes it easier on the transmission gears, clutch plates and wheels to hook up without so much damaging instant force.
    TRIKES
    1983 225 DX
    1984 Tri-Zinger
    1984 200 X
    1985 Big Red
    1985 200 X
    1985 Tri-Z
    1985.5 Tri-Z
    1986 Tri-Z

BIKES
    1978 YZ250
    2010 YZ250F
    2015 WR450F OHIO Street Legal

--
    Rubber rear sprocket cushions are primarily for protecting your drive train components and softening drive lash. They make your chain and sprockets last longer, easier on the transmission, clutch, crankshaft, etc. They aren't necessary on low power machines, or off road vehicles that aren't used on pavement, but without them on a sticky surface like concrete you'll feel your up and down shifts a little more, but the worst side effect of not having a cushioned drive train is that you'll beat up the weakest link in your drive train which is usually your outer clutch basket fingers.
    It sucks to get old

--
    Yeah, they also put rubber dampers in clutch baskets for the same reason, between the basket and the drive gear.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by christph View Post
    Yeah, they also put rubber dampers in clutch baskets for the same reason, between the basket and the drive gear.
    True, springs too, just like a car clutch.
    It sucks to get old

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ps2fixer View Post
    Just speculation, but honda lists the rubber pads as rubber dampeners. I suspect it's targeted to give a smooth power delivery. Similar to my Lexus car, instead of 2 U-joints, it has two 6 bolt rubber dampeners, there's no drive shaft wobble at all, and you can't feel the vibration from the engine though the drive-train. Kind of seems pointless on an ATV, big time since the engine isn't rubber mounted or anything. Maybe it's intended so it's easier to not tear up grass, and not break traction in muddy environments as easy.

I don't know a whole lot about the axles, but generally speaking, pretty sure the sprocket goes towards the nearest tire. The chain doesn't have to be 100% perfectly aligned, but closer is better. Since it's so hacked up, maybe it would be easiest for you to just swap to a newer style axle? Pretty sure they mounted the same for the 185/200S series. Heck a 125M axle would probably work too. Not sure about the brake side of things though.
    You have a Lexus??!! That's IT, I',m not buying anymore of your products, you loaded bazztahd!!

Crap, I have to drive a 16 y.o. Taco!!
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

--
    Lol, my Lexus is from Michigan, not exactly rust free, but better than average here. Paid $700 for it and drove it home with a bad rear wheel bearing and no power steering. I have about $1400 in "tuneup" parts to get it up to par, it was neglected for the last 20 years while it was in that family. Anyway, it's a 1990, so it's almost 29 years old lol and it's at 224k, still have a good 150-200k to go if the rust doesn't spread too fast. It's an interesting car being the first mainstream Japanese V8 car with RWD =). The 1UZ engine is over engineered just like the 2JZ Toyota Supra engine, same team designed it though so kind of expected.

My work truck is a 1998 Toyota T100 SR5,used to have a 96 taco, but it ended up with the frame rot problem. First vehicle I paid "big" money for to have nice and lost 1/2 the money a year later. The T100 was only $500, non-running, but the body is rusted out. $50 ECU and I've been driving it ever since. As you can see in the photo, it hauls wood lol.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20181104_143952_269.jpg  

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //