//ArrowChat Code

Upcoming Events for the Next 120 Day(s)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Possible To Have Stator Wire In Front (Visible?)

--
    If the brown wire is shorted out, it could make the lights go out I suspect, never tired it but seems to make sense. Might have to poke around a bit on the harness to try to find a bad wire or bad connection. There should be a yellow wire that connects to the engine's stator, that would be the main "hot" wire since it's AC power. Ohm testing it to the headlight blue/white wires while wiggling possible problem areas (tail light area for a short, and the handle bar switch connector). Another possible cause could be corroded switches for the handle bar switches, probably more likely I'd think.

As far as the exciter coil, if it's working and you soldered it well, I don't see that being a problem in the near future. You should know pretty fast if it is going to be a problem or not. You could put heat shrink over it, but it might get too hot there for typical heat shrink spec. As the saying goes, don't fix what is not broken, if it's working well, then unlikely you need to "fix " it. Not really a thing to live by, but in this case I think it's pretty safe to go by that.

--
    I'm curious, since there is no taillight, would it be beneficial to disconnect the brown and green wire from the wiring harness that runs along the frame to the taillight and remove them? Or whether they're there with electrical tape or wire ends on each wire out the back, or whether they're removed, it makes no difference? If the brown and green wire were connected instead of wire plugs on each, would it be beneficial to the electrical system or make no difference? I have the service manual with the wiring diagram and it looks like the headlight and taillight run off the same wire, so I'm confused how the headlight works sometimes if the taillight is nonexistent with 2 wires not connected.

Will be buying electrical 101 books...

--
    The wiring won't make any difference assuming there's no problems with the brown wire.

To sum up the related wires for most Honda machines:

Green = Ground
    Yellow or White with Yellow stripe = Power/Hot wire (Generally AC)
    Brown = Hot wire for tail light
    Blue = Hot wire for headlight (Brights)
    White = Hot wire for headlight (Dims)

The way the headlight switches work, whenever the lights are on dim or brings, the brown wire also is connected to the power. If you wanted to disconnect the wires to the tail light area, the handle bar switch connector would be where you'd pull the terminal. The green wire is ground, so it can be shorted to the frame and not make any difference at all.

Here's the table of the connections that visualize what's going on a little easier than trying to explain it in words. The (N) position is between low and high, it's a spot where both the bright and dim element gets power, pretty much ignore that line since it's not standard usage. It's good to view it as yellow wire as the power source, and the brown, white, and blue wires as what is getting powered.

Hopefully that made some sort of sense for you.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //