//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Big bore 86 Tecate

--

Big bore 86 Tecate

This is my friends custom built Rob Selvy 338cc Tecate. Custom-built crank on a heavily reworked KX 250 cylinder with Rob Selvy porting, exiting through a Kenny Roberts hand-built spec designed side exit drag pipe.
    The first 378cc motor did not survive so this one was built and revised.
    Have a video of it from its Maiden Trip this weekend at Pismo Beach sounds nice and mean, should be pretty quick.
    Rob Selvy also built & ported my another friends 380cc 250R it's extremely fast Mr Selvy knows how to build quick machines. I was going to have Klemm build me a 350 kit for the Tri- Z but I don't want to go through all that money because I don't think it will be as fast as either of these bikes so why waste money? I have my Banshee for Speed.
    Attachment 255493Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20181109-194529.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	101.9 KB 
ID:	255498
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20181109-194529.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	101.9 KB 
ID:	255498
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screenshot_20181109-194449.jpg   IMG_20181109_194630.jpg  
    Last edited by this old rz; 11-10-2018 at 01:12 AM.
    I need all the help I can get!

--
    Nice. Where did you get the radiators? They look custom.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by christph View Post
    Nice. Where did you get the radiators? They look custom.
    Not sure it's my friend's build, I diubbt he knows as he just says people to build his toys. But I can find out. I just thought they were Stock, I don't know the Tecate.

TexFest is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    gpi racing makes radiators for the 86-87 tecates, maybe thats them
    TPC 450R

HondaRidr is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    I don't see why a tri-z couldnt be as fast as a 250r or tecate???

--
    Quote Originally Posted by HondaRidr View Post
    I don't see why a tri-z couldnt be as fast as a 250r or tecate???
    That is a common misconception in the racing community. Yes, there is no way a tri-z or a 250r can be as fast as the almighty Tecate, the most powerful 3-wheeler in the universe! Somebody had to do it.

--
    Holy cow

That's effin sweet!

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

--
    Regarding the speed of a Tri Z vs a Honda 250 R or Tecate. I'm reffering to modified big bore machines, keeping displacement around 250cc In sure they could all be close..within reason.

Hondas are near impossible to beat, as there are a plethora of big bore cylinders available, most commonly from 310-375cc. And if I'm not mistaken with frame mods one might utilize a CPI TRX250 Sabertooth cylinder where you can go up to around 560cc...crazy!
    This Tecate is the only big bore I've ever viewed ? (I'm not familiar with them enough) and the Tri- Z as far as I am aware there were only two companies whom did Big Bore kits, one no longer offers anything the other is Klemm Vintage and his 350 kit. But outside of the old magazine article, I've never in 20 years heard of one actually running (with real in depth comments or results of one performing vs other bikes.) I've posted here to ask...but no one replied.
    He will build one though...I almost did it, but went to the dark side (Banshee).

However.considering that all 3 wheelers fall under the sword of (the all powerful and feared Tecate...the most powerful 3 wheeler ever built) it would be a futile waste of time and money Whatever happened to that fellow anyways,?? he was quite helpful on helping others with various. modifications
    Last edited by this old rz; 11-14-2018 at 07:12 PM.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by this old rz View Post
    Regarding the speed of a Tri Z vs a Honda 250 R or Tecate. I'm reffering to modified big bore machines, keeping displacement around 250cc In sure they could all be close..within reason.

Hondas are near impossible to beat, as there are a plethora of big bore cylinders available, most commonly from 310-375cc. And if I'm not mistaken with frame mods one might utilize a CPI TRX250 Sabertooth cylinder where you can go up to around 560cc...crazy!
    This Tecate is the only big bore I've ever viewed ? (I'm not familiar with them enough) and the Tri- Z as far as I am aware there were only two companies whom did Big Bore kits, one no longer offers anything the other is Klemm Vintage and his 350 kit. But outside of the old magazine article, I've never in 20 years heard of one actually running (with real in depth comments or results of one performing vs other bikes.) I've posted here to ask...but no one replied.
    He will build one though...I almost did it, but went to the dark side (Banshee).

However.considering that all 3 wheelers fall under the sword of (the all powerful and feared Tecate...the most powerful 3 wheeler ever built) it would be a futile waste of time and money Whatever happened to that fellow anyways,?? he was quite helpful on helping others with various. modifications
    Many truths in your post. I kinda feel like whatever you like, build it. Hondas are probably the most affordable to custom build and race, like you said. On the other hand you can definitely put a kx500 motor in the Tecates.
    Check out some trike drag racing or a video at Sand Mountain (little sahara) with a Tecate climbing at the dunes. Stock motor is fine with me, until i watch that. You have got to see those videos!
    Please add a video once your friend gets it going!
    Is that a spark arrestor for the dunes on that pipe or just a silencer?
    Last edited by fieldy; 11-18-2018 at 05:03 PM.

--
    Finally got to hear it run and see it ride around. It's a fun bike, it's pretty darned fast, I don't know how fast..but it's far far quicker than it was before. I'll have to watch it run vs my friends 380 250R to gauge how fast it really is. Not everything is my cup of tea, I prefer more MX /Desert style and the super ling swingarm ain't my thing, but it works well as its a proverbual slingshit when ket loose. He just loves it, as he should, As I imagine from Rob I'm guessing it's ported to performance perfection for it's displacement.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190611_083839.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	430.2 KB 
ID:	259020

Name:	IMG_20190611_083824.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	443.4 KB 
ID:	259021

Name:	IMG_20190611_083857.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	400.8 KB 
ID:	259022

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    However.considering that all 3 wheelers fall under the sword of (the all powerful and feared Tecate...the most powerful 3 wheeler ever built) it would be a futile waste of time and money
    TECATE VS THE "COMPETITION"

Whatever happened to that fellow anyways,?? he was quite helpful on helping others with various. modifications

He's STILL here.

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    Hondas are near impossible to beat, as there are a plethora of big bore cylinders available, most commonly from 310-375cc.
    Yes, but that's only because they cant hope to keep up with even a stock TECATE...The Most Powerful 3 Wheeler In The Universe, unless they go to a much larger displacement, because TECATE's...

Mosh is offline I'm the one with all the 2 stroke around here! The day begins with 3WW
    --

sprock racing did tecate 300 kits in droves. many people on here have some still

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...prock+big+bore
    Here is where my long useless list of stuff nobody cares about should go...

Proudly NOT a member of

"Team on the Teat"

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //