//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 250sx is the worst placed carb in the world. What’s a good Chinese replacement???

--

250sx is the worst placed carb in the world. What’s a good Chinese replacement???

Spent 3 hours taking off the carb and cleaning it as it’s sat with bad gas. Finally got it all back together and the sticky choke cable functioning properly. Started on first kick. Only problem is it only runs with the choke on. I can’t believe there’s no air/fuel mixture screws. Every time I have to take this apart and clean or rebuild it it’s an absolute nightmare. What’s a good Chinese replacement from eBay? After 35 years I’m ready to just throw another one at it rather than mess with rebuilding and having to hone the choke bore etc.
    85 250SX New to me!!
    85 ATC 70 stock ~ TRADED
    85 ATC 70 with 138cc Lifan
    83 110 restored ~ sold
    85 110 restored ~ sold
    83 200x restored ~ sold

02 400ex ~~~SOLD

K&N filter
    K&N jet kit
    EHS Racing lid
    Removed choke 42 pilot DJ146 main
    HMF full exhaust
    AC skids
    Holeshot XCR rears
    14t front sprocket
    IMS Roll front bumper
    Graydon Proline nerfs

--
    Good Chinese replacement? You'd have better luck finding an honest liberal democrat.

Sometimes you get lucky but most of the time (in my limited experience) you end up trading one headache for another.
    I was born and raised on Venus & I may be here a while.....

--
    Ugh really? I’ll rebuild it if I have to. I feel like I rebuild this every 18 months or so. Granted this was gummed up and was green inside a bit.. but I ran it through my ultrasonic cleaner like 8-10 times for an hour easy. I’ve had this happen before, take it all apart and clean it, reassemble and it only runs on choke. I think one time I even had the jets reversed in it ��. I’ll have to go back and read my old threads. Still, getting this thing off is a nightmare and getting these hard rubber 35 year old boots to line up is just as bad.
    85 250SX New to me!!
    85 ATC 70 stock ~ TRADED
    83 110 restored ~ sold
    85 110 restored ~ sold
    83 200x restored ~ sold

02 400ex ~~~SOLD

K&N filter
    K&N jet kit
    EHS Racing lid
    HMF full exhaust
    AC skids
    Holeshot XCR rears
    14t front sprocket
    IMS Roll front bumper
    Graydon Proline nerfs

--
    Ugh really? I’ll rebuild it if I have to. I feel like I rebuild this every 18 months or so. Granted this was gummed up and was green inside a bit.. but I ran it through my ultrasonic cleaner like 8-10 times for an hour easy. I’ve had this happen before, take it all apart and clean it, reassemble and it only runs on choke. I think one time I even had the jets reversed in it ��. I’ll have to go back and read my old threads. Still, getting this thing off is a nightmare and getting these hard rubber 35 year old boots to line up is just as bad.....

Edit: just did a search and I made this exact thread April 2017 ��. Consensus was to send mine to flyingVW and buy one from him.
    85 250SX New to me!!
    85 ATC 70 stock ~ TRADED
    83 110 restored ~ sold
    85 110 restored ~ sold
    83 200x restored ~ sold

02 400ex ~~~SOLD

K&N filter
    K&N jet kit
    EHS Racing lid
    HMF full exhaust
    AC skids
    Holeshot XCR rears
    14t front sprocket
    IMS Roll front bumper
    Graydon Proline nerfs

--
    I'd still say the same thing.

--
    Yea have flyingw rebuild it for you. Ultra sonic cleaners don't do everything, there could still be a passage blocked, a jet plugged etc.

The rubber from the carb to air box must be really stiff on your machine. It only takes me around 30 mins to get the carb out, and probably 30-45 mins to get it back in, unless you're counting the cleaning time too.

If you do end up replacing it, I'd buy the "junk" one if it's fairly cheap + shipping. I have a 250es that acts like it has an air leak, might be a crack in the housing somewhere or something, just haven't found the cause yet. (Runs normal, but when warmed up the tuning changes to be a bit lean with stock jetting etc, my other 3 or so 250sx/es machines don't have this effect). Figured between the two I should be able to make one good carb.

Either way, good luck on the repair.

Also a small side note, if you run pump gas there's 10% ethanol in it, pretty sure these machines were not designed to deal with ethanol in the gas, so at a bare minimum I'd suggest to always turn the gas valve off and run the carb out of fuel if the machine is to sit for a few days or longer. Better option is to buy ethanol free fuel but it's about $1 more per gal for my local area. I think this might be a factor in your case since you mentioned it being green inside (brass parts are partly copper, copper oxidizes green).

--
    You ever check for air leaks? You could have a bad carb mount or boot sucking in air, thus requiring the choke to be on at all times.

--
    There is not Chinese replacement. Just had this issue with a guy i know with a 350x..he didnt listed to me. so later then the bike didn't run right i said rebuilt stock...he did...it ran right. When your cheap it costs to 2-3 times more then when you just fix it correctly. I think people used 250X or 300ex carbs as replacements. If not please sell the machine to someone who will put the proper parts on it.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by oldskool83 View Post
    If not please sell the machine to someone who will put the proper parts on it.
    I don't mean to be a jerk... Not very helpful.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'83 200X

Chicks love guys that ride trikes

Scootertrash is offline Just Too Addicted: Protecting Our Community The day begins with 3WW
    --
    I believe FlyingW has a thread somewhere on how to rebuild those carbs. I followed it to rebuild the one on my neighbor's 250ES.

Take your time and be patient. Also check for air leaks as mentioned above. After you go back thru the carb like FlyingW did. Gotta eat, I'll look for the thread later.
    Quote Originally Posted by fabiodriven View Post
    Trick the people into thinking they're enacting their own will and you have willing slaves.

Liberalism suspends the intellect of its victims, while at the same time tricking them into believing that they're smarter than everyone else.

If we've done business together, please leave me feedback. Thank You!:

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...t=Scootertrash

--
    I bought an es with a aftermarket carb with the black plunger on the bottom. It ran but not great, I took the original carb that came in a box with spare bolts apart and cleaned it and It worked great. threw that repo in the trash . just my .02 $ good luck.
    our original 85 we bought new, 2 - 86 police specials
    250r dust runner
    04 Yamaha kodiaK 450 snowbuster ! Brute Force 750 dust collector .
    Bunch of es stuff I been buying for next builds....
    Gone but lives on in my aching body the mighty 350x collection . A Beat 85 es im gonna rebuild

--
    If it keeps plugging up. you need a better tank/inline filter... But, ya can't leave old gas in there for too long. Just clean it right, use a good filter, you'll be fine...
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

--
    Look at my join date. Don’t tell me to sell it to someone else if I’m not going to fix it correctly. I know what I’m doing. I’m tired of messing with this carb and you can’t get a new one. I’m currently waiting on flyingvw to refurb some that he has in stock. Thanks to those who offered help. The 35 year old boots are stiff as hell and a disaster to get on all the way. I’ll check for an air leak which is definitely possible. I’ll spray some starting fluid around it
    85 250SX New to me!!
    85 ATC 70 stock ~ TRADED
    83 110 restored ~ sold
    85 110 restored ~ sold
    83 200x restored ~ sold

02 400ex ~~~SOLD

K&N filter
    K&N jet kit
    EHS Racing lid
    HMF full exhaust
    AC skids
    Holeshot XCR rears
    14t front sprocket
    IMS Roll front bumper
    Graydon Proline nerfs

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --
    Yup, a terribly engineered position for that carburetor for sure. Click on the link and you can see me whine about it for the first time seven years ago.

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...oblem-86-250SX

As difficult as it was to remove and clean the carburetor the first time for me, it got easier and easier every time I had to do it. It's really not that bad once you get used to it just like anything else.

You sound frustrated and I understand why you would be, but you'll get it. If you have to take the carb out every 18 months then there is a problem, and also I'd expect you'd be good at it by now. As suggested, look into an air leak or see if you're getting crud in the carb from the tank.

Bottom line is, you shouldn't have to clean your carburetor every 18 months unless you're cleaning it and then parking the bike and not running it for 18 months. You have to, have to, have to treat your gas for ethanol if non-ethanol is not available where you live.

I understand your frustration with the placement of this carb, but ultimately it's on you if the bike doesn't run right. Oh and as others stated, there is no Chinese replacement carb for these and if there were it wouldn't have helped you. Very rarely do Chinese carburetors improve a situation.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    That reminds me of a good point. Does the carb slowly get worse and worse, or does the problem suddenly surface? Also when the problem shows up, is it after sitting a while?

Fully agree, fuel stabilizer should help with the ethanol pump gas, ethanol free/recreational fuel is a lot better for our machines, but also costs quite a lot more.

Anyway, if the machine acts up after sitting, try to drain the carb with the drain screw on the bottom of it. Let atleast 1 carb float bowl's worth of fuel run out, then give it a shot. It's one of the first things I do since I generally run the pump gas. If there's junk in the carb, there's a chance it could flow out too.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //