//ArrowChat Code
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Neutral Inhibitor Relay

--
    Received the relay order today. They worked exactly as I expected. Per the 84 TRX200 service manual test process it's a perfect match with my little adapter wiring between it and the main harness. I was going to use the wire provided on them, but found their terminals are not crimped as well as I thought. I actually pulled one of the wires out while removing terminals which shouldn't be possible with a proper crimp. Side benefit of this is that I can color match the wires to the OEM harness.

Anyway, I'll be sending Gabriel the bypass plug and the automotive style relay to test out. I'm 99% sure it's all good to go though.

I added photos soon of the fancy relay. Not sure what the best route will be for mounting them (they are a bit heavy to just leave hanging). Maybe a zip tie to where the tab that the original rubber mount went onto.

Of course the stupid phone doesn't want to take clear photos for me, but not super horrible. Need to get a proper quality camera some day lol.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20181204_133029_507.jpg   IMG_20181204_133041_241.jpg   IMG_20181204_133053_165.jpg  

--
    Fricken Awesome!

One of the worst headaches on the most ubiquitous ATC.....SOLVED. I will post here with a full report.

Thank you Fixer for taking this on. Hope you can pocket a dollar or two for your troubles.

My 2¢ worth, If I rode a perfectly working 200ES, I would want this part. If the relay ain't bad yet, it could go at any time. Why NOT fix it before it pisses you off?
    I will have these on BOTH of my 200ES trikes.
    I was born and raised on Venus & I may be here a while.....

--
    Just a suggestion, even though electric start isn't critical to have working, but one could throw the bypass plug in the tool box or somewhere suitable and if there's ever an issue on the trail, it could be the get home ticket. Of course pull start would work yet, but if someone had back issues etc, that might not be an option.

Anyway, if plans go right, your order should be shipped out Thursday (post office is closed Wednesday).

--
    Quote Originally Posted by danbur55 View Post
    Couple of pics of what I think might be the same or similar Attachment 255791Attachment 255792. Haven’t tested it as stated above but quad would spin the motor as normal
    Got this relay in the mail and found the relay infact was junk. It's a normally open relay and the contact inside had rust build up between the contacts. I also got a Yamaha YTM200E harness with a relay on it, and it's exactly the same, but has some generic markings on top of it. Both are Japanese made by Omron. Also the Yamaha one had the exact same problem as the Suzuki one. Probably why it was being parted out on ebay.

That means the Yamaha part number and Suzuki part number are interchangeable below, and both in production at the time of this post.

Suzuki - https://www.partzilla.com/product/su...1dfc65c32cb8d8
    Yamaha - https://www.partzilla.com/product/ya...fa28658eda6a03

Back on topic, I sent out the box today to Gabriel. I'll wait for that product review lol.
    Last edited by ps2fixer; 12-06-2018 at 07:39 PM.

--
    Sorry for the delay boys, works been hell this week.

SO, a perfectly functioning 84 200 ES.....

I plugged in the relay adapter and aftermarket relay....chug, chug...VROOM!!! I cut it off and pull started it, worked perfect. All good there.
    Plugged in the jumper and the same thing. Flawless function with everything.

Conclusion, either one will solve this issue. Quality part and a top notch person to deal with. Thanks to Ps2fixer to letting me be the beta tester.

Now....opinions. My opinions are just that. MY opinions. They may not mean squat to you.

The aftermarket relay: Perfect! Easy plug and play with 'just' enough length to let you button it up nice and tidy.

The jumper plug. Easy, cheap, works.....I don't care for it. Has NOTHING to do with Fixer, his work or anything of the sort. I'm not a fan of bypassing existing systems. Either tear out the whole system or put it back the way it goes. That's my opinion nothing more. Spend the extra few bucks and get things working they way they were intended to function. Fixer is the kinda guy that deserves your $$$ support any way. He might be right though, a cheap and easy thing to toss into a tool box "Just In Case"
    The relay switch though... I LOVE IT. Perfect fix. Thank you Fixer. I appreciate it.

Again, you may think different. I have two '84 200ES machines and they will both wear the aftermarket relay. Even the one with a functioning factory part will be getting replaced with Fixer's upgrade.

Carry on.

Last edited by Gabriel; 12-15-2018 at 04:42 PM.

--
    Cool stuff, thanks for the honest review.

Ironically, I'm in the opposite boat, if I had one of these on say my 350x, I'd want the bypass plug since a wire is pretty hard to fail, while a relay can. Not super happy with the relay setup, but it's better than nothing for sure and does give the stock operation.

With the bypass plug plugged in, can you crank the engine in gear or reverse? Looking over the diagram, it looks like electric start would still only work while in neutral (starter button grounds though the neutral switch). It's been a while since I looked over the wire diagram, so might be thinking wrong, but if the bypass plug is used and the operation matches OEM, it seems like it has no real purpose except maybe a secondary safety (if someone bypasses the neutral switch). Anyway, I just want to be sure what the exact "side effects" are for running the bypass plug so when I make the 3ww shop listing I can be completely upfront with what the effects are.

--
    I don't see ANY side effects from running the bypass. I'll have to go try it in reverse and see if it'll start. That's one thing I didn't try.

--
    Yea try electric start for in any forward gear, and reverse. Based on my quick scan over the wire diagram, electric start will only work in neutral because the starter button gets it's ground though the neutral safety switch. If that's so, I don't get why it even has the relay to start with. Probably wouldn't hurt to perform the same test while pull starting it. Maybe it will start pull start only in gear with the bypass while the relay prevents it.

--
    Ok, alright. I am more than man enough to admit when I'm wrong about something. Never claimed to be a real intelligent fellar.......

I gotta stare at the wiring diagram to figure out exactly whats going on BUT suffice to say, the jumper plug works AND it still gives you all the safety benefits of the original part. tried it again this morning. The starter will NOT function unless the transmission is in neutral. It's cold out here and I forgot to try the pull rope in gear. I'm not dragging the battery charger out AGAIN today. LOL.
    The starter WILL function in reverse BUT it will not fire. I held the starter down in reverse then bumped it out of reverse and she fired right off.

SO, while the starter will actually turn in reverse, the safety feature is still in place as the coil is not firing.

Considering that and the fact that it's a LOT harder for a tiny piece of wire to fail as opposed to a relay, this may actually be the better choice overall. The ability to start in gear was my major concern but obviously I don't understand the wiring layout as well as I thought I did. Add to that it's a helluva lot cheaper and the jumper plug will fit into the factory rubber boot so no zip ties or extra screws to hold the new relay.
    Looks like I may have shot my mouth off too soon as I may be hopping the fence on this one. Shame on me. LOL!!!!

--
    Haha, it's all good in either case. I fully understand about sticking with the OEM design. The wire diagram is kind of crappy at displaying exactly what the relay does, some things have to be assumed and the diag info known. Interesting that the electric start works while in reverse. I don't see exactly how the starter relay get's ground in the circuit while in reverse, the only thing I can make sense of is maybe it's going though the reverse light. There's no diode on it, so maybe that's part of why the newer machines have a diode in that general location. Might have to probe around on my 200es some day (probably spring if I remember to) and try to follow where the ground point actually is. Maybe the neutral/reverse sub harness has a design flaw and the full safety feature could be kept with the neutral/reverse sub harness being replaced (one with a diode), and the bypass plug to have the most reliable and stock function possible. Maybe I'm just overlooking something though. When you put the lever into reverse, the neutral light goes off right?

That reminds me, I forgot it has a sub transmission, so you can be in neutral and reverse at the same time. I think that's the case where the inhibitor switch is designed for. Of course it's worth mentioning that China CDI's don't have the safety circuit, so they would fire up while in reverse, unless the relay is in place. I think I kind of answered my question above about the ground, it's still though the neutral switch lol.

--
    A self tapping sheet metal screw through the original mounting tab holds Fixer's relay perfect!!

wellys88 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    Great work. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	images.png 
Views:	2 
Size:	9.9 KB 
ID:	256571

I will take a couple��

--
    I sent ya a PM. I have the relays on hand if you need those made, I just haven't gotten around to making them and listing them. The bypass plug is in the 3ww shop though.

--

1984 Honda ATC 200es Relay Inhibitor

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    Yep, I just figured that one out too. Playing with a generic relay I had laying around. Need one that's backwards. Thanks Honda!!!

Now....where to source a 4 pin plug that will fit the Honda harness??? That might be troublesome. That's your game Cory.
    If found, 4 wires could connect it to a plug for the generic relay. That would literally make for a plug and play solution.

As many times as I have seen this problem addressed here and other places, I would think there would be a good amount of interest.

Would you have a source for the connector by-pass shown in the picture? or could i buy one from you??

--

1984 Honda ATC 200es Relay Inhibitor

Quote Originally Posted by ps2fixer View Post
    Yea that 4 pin connector I already have on hand lol. It's common on Jap machines, mainly for voltage regulator/rectifiers. I just ordered another 20 sets (male + female) since I'm actually finding a use for them finally lol (DC power kit & this bypass/adapter).

Anyway, had a few minutes to dedicate to making the bypass. Nothing super special, just DIY it's not so easy with out the right tools etc.

I'll probably wait to ship your wire project until after I get the relays on hand and use another connector to adapt it to the 200es plug. Then you can test both products for me so there's two options to fix the issue instead of just one. Aka, bypass it and be done with it, or stick with stock operation with an aftermarket solution.

Could you give me the link for the connectors? Or could I buy one from you??

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //