//ArrowChat Code
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Neutral Inhibitor Relay

--

--
    I have found your post relating to the inhibitor relay. can you tell me which wire fit to each of the terminals, a , b , c and d. my wiring on my trike is good but i dont know which wire goes on each of the spades at the relay, following on from your photo of the relay connections.
    thanks

--
    I don't have the harness on hand, but looking at my pics I can figure it out pretty well. Ironically I just ran across this connector on a 86 Toyota Pickup and the Toyota diagrams actually give pinout data. Good base for a screen shot + pinout numbers. The image is based on looking at the end of the connector (the side that plugs into the opposite connector). This is the one that goes on the harness.

1 - Yellow/Red
    2 - Green/Red
    3 - Gray? (can't see in the pic the greatest)
    4 - Green/Red

FYI, the two Green/Red wires don't really matter which one goes where in those two possible spots, they are shorted together when the relay activates, just a simple switch basically.

Hopefully that helps you out, good luck with your harness work.

--
    I did a search for bad relay inhibitor in big reds and found this thread. Thanks to folks figuring out a generic alternative to the inhibitor relay, they seem impossible to find anymore. My trike does nothing when I hit the start button- happened suddenly. Also the neutral light stopped coming on. I looked over fuses, wiggled wires, and nothing. I was ordering some other parts from Amazon and a starter solenoid came up as things people commonly buy for this trike, it was cheap so I bought it and threw it in, but it didn't help. Turned my attention to this post and tried to add a jumper between the two greens going into the relay, but that didn't help. I went from either of these greens to the frame and it starts to turn over without me hitting the start button. Does this mean the neutral switch is bad? Or does this diagnose something else? Best fix?

Thanks
    Last edited by chukob; 08-08-2022 at 06:08 PM.

--
    I grounded the neutral switch and now it starts.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by chukob View Post
    I grounded the neutral switch and now it starts.
    That would mean your neutral switch is bad, nice work with the diag though.

FYI, the cheap starter solenoids are made in china and low grade, I'd get rid of that asap unless you don't mind the solenoid randomly sticking on and you can't stop the starter. It's one part I'd never cheap out on personally. You can buy much newer solenoids from newer Honda atv's that generally can plug and play with extra long wire for $20-30 and is OEM quality and will work for 20-30+ years. Prices might be off, I didn't adjust for covid inflation lol.

If you don't mind about the neutral safety switch, add a ring terminal to the wire and bolt it down likely on a side cover bolt and the neutral light will be stuck on all the time, but you'll always be able to crank the engine. The down side is, it can be cranked in gear. If you want to fix it, I'm pretty sure your only option is used OEM for the switch. Might be possible to refurb your existing switch but not sure how well that works out.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //