//ArrowChat Code

View Poll Results: Is around $25 per socket too expensive for the neutral/reverse sub harness?

Voters
1. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes (Pls post what your max price would be)

0 0%
  • No

1 100.00%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Any Interest for NEW Neutral/Reverse Light Socket Sub Harness (250es/sx, 200es/m etc)

--
    Yea that would be great. I'll add the part number and such to the first post when I get a chance, chair is kind of tied up atm with wire lol.

I have a TRX350D on hand, but the connector housing used on them I don't think I can get, same series of connector as the round 6 pin CDI connectors from 84-85 machines.

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --
    So this is the 85 SX harness I have. The crimped joint had electric tape on it so I don't know if that's factory or not.

I'm not going to take apart the 86 or 87 right now because we have a ride this weekend, but here's a picture of it on the 87. I can take one or both apart when we're not scheduled to ride.

85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    Umm, both of those are 86-87 lol. My 85 atc250sx has green/red wire instead of blue/red. That's the same difference for 85 vs 86-87 250es too. Looks like no diode like I was expecting. The 250es one I pulled apart didn't have anything on the splice, just was in the middle of the tubing. Those "B" style crimp splices are 99% factory, there are very few people that have the tools to perform those crimps.

Can you measure the overall length for the longest wire/socket? Rounding to the nearest inch is fine erroring on the longer side.

Thanks for the photo, it atleast confirms there's no diode in that version of the harness.

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --
    Frig! Well I tried. Yes I'll measure the longest wire when I get out in the garage later.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    Haha, not a problem, I needed to validate if the 86-87 one used a diode or not anyway. With your measurement I'll be able to compare it with mine to see if they are the same =). I'm guessing they are the same, just the wire color and diode difference.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Shep1970 View Post
    It was just an eBay pic/ the one I have is mounted on a bike- think I threw the junk harnesses away/ I’ll look around tonight, but probably don’t have it though- when I pull that bike out I will get it for you/just kinda buried at the moment.

Shep
    I did some searching around on ebay, and found an 86 TRX200SX one with the dash for pretty cheap. Pretty interesting seeing 3 sockets, but only two lights. Wire diagram shows that the 3rd one is just a diode. Could go a couple different routes for this one. Make the diode in the wiring like the 85 250es/sx machines, or use a T5 LED plastic bulb base to install a diode into. Kind of weird Honda doesn't even have a part number for the diode, the way it's put in the part diagram, it looks like it's permanently installed in the socket or something. The diode in the wiring would be cheaper, but I suspect people would be more likely to buy them if it had 3 sockets like OEM. I bought 100x T5 LED bulbs, handy to have around, and the bases could be reused for the diode mount. I suspect there might be interest in LED lighting for the dash indicators too, not sure how good/bad they would end up being (LEDs are fairly directional and the bases are quite tall).

Any idea what the difference is for 86 vs 87 TRX200SX? They used different part numbers. The wire diagram covers both years so wire color shouldn't have changed, and both should have the diode in the same spot. I can't find any listings for the 87 anywhere.

Since I have the sockets + dash on their way to me, I'll update the first post to say I have the measurements =).

--
    Yes I do know the difference in yrs- we’ll kinda- one yr had the diode in the middle spot (socket) other year just had two sockets and nothing in middle spot (nothing) so I’m assuming the diode for that yr was somewhere else in wiring along the way to the dash.
    I spend some time searching online for that socket diode(no luck) nothing even close- but one in the wiring would work also, the plastic attach points are the same/ just one socket left out one of the yrs. “well that’s what I remember” it’s been a couple yrs. thought it was odd at the time too.

Hope that makes sense, I had both yrs at one point but I did toss one that I didn’t use(rotted)couldn’t find it last night
    Was hoping I used the two socket to show you but nope I used the tripple/picClick image for larger version. 

Name:	46AEA37A-4EDC-4786-BE6D-5EA00197A092.jpeg 
Views:	4 
Size:	1.89 MB 
ID:	255917
    Shep
    Last edited by Shep1970; 12-05-2018 at 04:53 PM.

--
    Cool stuff. I could make replacement diodes too, but I suspect the market for them would be pretty limited. Interesting fine, the light housing for the 87-88 TRX200SX is the same as the 87 ATC125M. Just blindly guessing, but I suspect the 86 vs 87 ATC125M difference might be the same thing. I could probably mark the bulb base with which side is ground to make it easier to install them correctly.

Seems like the 86 vs 87 ATC125M thing might be accurate.

86 ATC125M

Of course like the TRX200SX, can't find a photo of the newer style.

Also I notice the dash bolt location is wider, wonder if it matches the ATC350X/ATC200X/ATC250R handle bar withe the top bar mounts replaced with the dash bolt on style. That's partly why I went for the 200SX dash + wiring listing to validate =).

Kind of interesting how the last of the dash sockets are all somewhat related.

--
    I was wrong about the plastic attach points - here’s the 86 or 87 with the two socket mount.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9D6D7E41-486E-4030-B76A-BD14DB8FF6A0.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	60.6 KB 
ID:	255918 the dash is the same/the white insert changed,
    Not mine (just eBay pic) there wasn’t a decent pic of the wiring though.

Shep

--
    Looks the same to me for the neutral/reverse light housings. I figured the newer ones only had 2 socket spots instead of 3, just makes sense since it would be silly to have a spot for a socket but not have one installed factory.

Poking at some more part numbers, and the TRX200SX and ATC125M both use the same black dash for 86 & up which means the neutral/reverse lights would interchange too between those machines and years (purely based on bolt pattern/mount shape). It's an interesting thing to research out. Once I get the dash + sockets I'll have to measure up the mounting width and such to see what other interesting things I can find out about it.

--
    Not sure if these two pics will help ya, I’ve got two nos dashes(one open) held up to 86/87 200x forks, waiting for dinner to cook so I’ll load em anyway. Oh and if you don’t mind I may be picking your brain “just a little” on wiring up this electric bike I’m doing but probably won’t be until end of January though. (Just wiring certain switches)

Name:	F6E9EE24-BA10-45F4-91DD-42FF6BBC0811.jpeg 
Views:	7 
Size:	2.01 MB 
ID:	255931 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1DCDAEA3-4839-4640-8FC0-0C389B04E0F7.jpeg 
Views:	9 
Size:	739.8 KB 
ID:	255932

Shep

Shep

--
    Looks like it will be really close fit. Might have to install the handle bar clamps upside down to offset the dash if there's mounting problems. I don't think Honda makes one that is centered like the 125m/200sx dash was designed around. Photoed below is the top clamps I'm talking about, it's the wrong machine so the handle bar spacing is narrower than the 350x and such machines. I'm thinking that the machines with the top bridge style mount system for the dash like the 125m/200sx dash uses might be the right offset for another dash source for the ignition switch upgrade on the 350x/250r/200x machines. Wish there were more dashes around, or someone mass producing them in aftermarket.

EDIT:

Oh I think I see the common problem with them is bubbles. You and minimize the bubbles with a pressure chamber. Basically pour the mold and put in a container to pressurize. If the mix you're using is slow to set, you could use a vacuum chamber to get the bubbles to come out of the mix before the pour. I'd guess a combo of both would give the highest chances of success. You pretty much just need vacuum pump with hook ups for both vacuum and pressure. Air compressor would be faster to pressurize though. If you build something, don't forget to keep the PSI within a logical range. I'm thinking something like a 20lb LP tank would work alright. Just be kind of a pain to figure out how to make it seal quickly.

Also, have you thought about reproducing the neutral/reverse light housings? The Green/Red lens is like glued in. Old poor shape ones they pop out of sometimes, not sure how to pop one out on a nice one though. Of course you'd be missing the white text. I suspect the lens on their own wouldn't be too hard to mold up, the housing I'm not sure how easy/hard it would be to make.

I'd guess people would be interested in the blems at a discounted price.
    Last edited by ps2fixer; 12-05-2018 at 07:35 PM.

--
    I wish maier would make the dashes- I fail 90% of the time just on 86/87 200x dash plugs.......so gave up for now.

Name:	AD74AD34-256F-4FE4-B387-0251F42E39B7.jpeg 
Views:	7 
Size:	1.82 MB 
ID:	255940

Shep

--
    Does Maier make anything that's injection molded? Pretty sure the only thing they make is vacuum form based, but haven't really searched it out much.

Anyway, I haven't gotten into the pour plastic molding yet. Looks like the main problem is the mold is leaking at the seam. Looks like a challenging part to make though. Seems like it wouldn't be too hard to clean up the overflow assuming the rest came out well. Maybe adding a little more weight on top of the mold to hold it together better would help?

Anyway, I probably should list the neutral/reverse sockets that don't require diodes that I have done on 3ww shop/ebay. I guess adding photos to the first post would be a good idea too for new people to the thread.

EDIT: I've ordered suitable diodes to use with the LED T5 bases I ordered. Hopefully everything works out well together. The diode should be good for the inline style in the harness too. Probably will have to order some more cheaper heat shrink too similar to what the 250es one used.

Also ordered some more TRX neutral/reverse sockets off ebay. Looks like I'll be able to reproduce nearly every machine =). Running though the missing models and grabbing any that are affordable/cheap.
    Last edited by ps2fixer; 12-06-2018 at 03:07 AM.

--
    Diode order came in, just a couple (100x). Looks to be physically the same size, so I'm pretty sure I guessed the same rating at OEM (1amp). 1 amp should be way more than enough for a 3w dash bulb at 12v.

I'll be getting some of the models which have a diode in them done soon =).

Edit:

Also got in some of my neutral/reverse sub harness orders. Even got the LED's I ordered. They work pretty well in the neutral/reverse housings, brighter than stock, but the lighting isn't even, the center is brighter, sides are about the same brightness as the stock bulb.

Also fun fact, the diode socket for the machines that have them isn't even a socket, the diode appears to be soldered to the wire, heat shrinked, then pushed into just the rubber cover for the socket. Sadly not replaceable. For those machines, it just flat out makes more sense to make the diode inside the wire section, so I'll be making them in the newer style for the old application. Don't have any of the 87-88 trx200sx ones I can find to buy, so probably leave them off the fitment list or with a note until I can get one in hand. Ironically, the 86 one I ordered which came with the dash too is in very usable shape, good contacts in the sockets and the wire is nice and flexible.

The TRX350D one I ordered is also really nice. I ordered this one because it was so cheap, figured I could make it new and reuse the old connector. I have a TRX350D, so might see if mine is in worse shape lol. This machine also uses the soldered on diode socket setup.

If anyone is interested in LED lights for the dash sockets, let me know, these ones I ordered ended up being better than I expected. I'll have to try to get photos to show the difference. Probably use the TRX350D light housing since two are red so I could in theory take a photo of both lit up, one led, one stock bulb.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20181210_105729_170.jpg   IMG_20181210_105651_950.jpg  
    Last edited by ps2fixer; 12-10-2018 at 03:36 PM.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //