//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Possible light socket for ATC Speedometer

--

Possible light socket for ATC Speedometer

Still haven't been able to find a solid photo of the socket on the ATC style speedometer, but normal Honda one uses a socket very similar to this one. I suspect the terminals on the ends of the wire will have to be changed since they would likely be a 4mm bullet instead of 3.5mm. If anyone buys this to test, let me know if it works, or just buy one from any Kawasaki dealer for around $10 new. If the socket is right, I can fix the wiring so it's plug and play. I think it is a different bulb style, but I don't think that will effect much.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kawasaki-KZ...!-1:rk:34:pf:0

--

Is that what you need?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

--
    Thanks for the photos, that's for the Honda ATC speedometer right? That looks exactly the same as the Honda speedometer photos I found that didn't say ATC on the face of it. Could you get a length measurement of the wire and show a photo of the other end too? I might be able to reproduce these new if I can find a solid source for the sockets new.

Also, if you have the rest of the speedometer, if I do make a new harness for it, could you test fit it for me?

--
    Yes, Atc speedo mounted on my 200e. So, give me a few and I’ll disconnect it for you.

--

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ps2fixer View Post
    Awesome, thanks for helping out.

--
    Perfect photos, that's a fancy wire holder lol.

Pretty interesting on the wire connections, I guess it's just the logic that it's tapping into the power and passing it though for the original connection.

Anyway, I should have enough info now to reproduce them assuming I can find the sockets from somewhere (likely a motorcycle speedometer harness or something like that).

Do you have a caliper to measure the diameter of the rubber base? It should be somewhere around 14mm. I'm thinking a T10 style socket could be used to replace the socket. Not OEM correct, but better to have something instead of nothing.

--

Best I got is this. Shows 12mm where it ‘seats’ into speedo housing.

Here it is 13mm.

Just for reference.

Here you can see two wires going into the socket. So, inside the loom, about two inches up from bullet connectors, I can feel the two splices of the green and brown wires.
    I believe you are correct. In the light bucket, there are 2 green wires in the main wire harness.
    1. One has a connector with three female terminals for headlight, ignition switch & 12v accessory plug.
    2. The other green wire has a connector with two female terminals. To my knowledge only one is used for stop/start switch.

The green with 3 female terminals is where I disconnect the headlight male and connect speed green male into that spot. That leaves the green headlight male into green speedo female.
    The brown male and female from light switch to tail light gets disconnected and reconnect the speedo brown male and female.

I’m assuming you have a wire diagram for 200e big red I’m using for example.

Just to make it more fun I connected my ignition switch green to the green with 2 female terminals. Diagram shows it connected at the 3-female terminal, although it makes no difference.
    Lmk if you need anything else.

--
    Interesting, so it seems like the hole in the speedometer would be right around 13mm then. The T10 wedge sockets I think were 14mm, but maybe that was just the part the stuck out further for a snug fit. Defo good numbers to have around.

I can buy NOS parts and hack them up and reuse them for this application, seems like they are semi common for reasonable prices on ebay, but there's a limited supply of them. Would hate to rely on getting them in to destroy the original part to make 2-4 of these sub harnesses. I was told this socket/sub harness is commonly needed so that's why I'm researching them a bit.

The rats nest in your headlight bucket is nice and clean compared to most that I see. Thanks for taking the time pulling all of that part for the photos and such. Hopefully I can source the right socket, or something compatible out of this.

--
    Not a problem. Thanks for your initiative. The hole in the speedo is 13mm-it’s a tight fit for the socket and challenging to get in without a little lube.

--
    Yea, that's kind of the nature of those sockets when they get old and start to get brittle/hard. Neutral/reverse rubber sockets are the same way.

--
    If it were hard, it’d go in easier. Mine is soft, which makes it flex when pushing it in.

--
    I've had the opposite experience with the neutral/reverse rubber sockets. They flex and "hook" into the housing, when they get stiff it's hard to get them to flex to come out. Maybe the speedometer style ones are different though.

--
    I probably have 15 speedo heads, and 75% o them have no light pigtail...

With the recent flood to the market with about 250 speedometer heads and housings and kits, MANY people will be looking for this...
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

--
    Dirtcrasher, want to have me make you a bunch from NOS parts? Could probably do it pretty cheap. The socket side would have the wrong wire colors, but the harness side I can make it up right and have the right connectors / length.

Of course being NOS parts, the rubber could be stiff/old, no way to know until I buy the parts. There's also the T10 style socket that might fit, but I think they are made for 14mm holes, don't have any to measure up though.

Kind of hate modifying NOS parts, but I guess the machines they are for have no following, so the parts are reasonably priced.

I found a really nice set of sockets on a NOS part that are really nice shape and perfect match for the OEM rubber. There's two main types I've seen. The one like photoed above, a single rib for mounting, and a 3x ribbed version. I assume both would work, but why not go with the one that for sure does =). Have 6x sockets coming to me from another country, won't be here till around Christmas through Feb. I can modify them into the ATC speedometer wiring, but Dirtcrasher has first dibs since he's the one that tipped me off on the need for them.
    Last edited by ps2fixer; 12-05-2018 at 03:24 PM.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //