//ArrowChat Code

Thread: 1985 200S motor in a 1984 200es?

--

1985 200S motor in a 1984 200es?

Here is my problem. I can get a little work done to my 1985 200s motor and it will be good to go. My 1984 200es big red i have has a motor that is trash. The es is shaft driven while the s is chain driven. Is there any way i could use the s motor on the es trike? I really want the es to be my main trike since it has reverse and all. Any ideas or am i just dreaming
    S.P.
    1985 ATC 250ES BIG RED (work horse)
    1984 ATC200S (play tirke)
    2020 CRF450R
    2020 CRF110

--
    The frames are quite different, but if you're handy with a welder, you might be able to cut out the axle mounting system from the 200s frame and put it in the 200es frame. Probably a lot easier to find another machine either for an engine for the 200es.

Also, if you swap engines, the S motor in the ES won't have reverse, so maybe I'm understanding your target wrong?

What exactly is trashed about the 200es? Sounds like if it has a good bottom end, you'd just have to swap over the top end from the 200s to get it going. They are very similar engines, quite a few parts interchange. Checking part numbers on the 200s vs 200es will give you a for sure answer if x part works on both engines. I believe all or atleast most of the 200 series engines all can have their top ends swapped around (200, 200s, 185, 185s, 200x, 200m, 200e, 200es), but that's not my area of research/data.

In other words, probably easiest to fix or replace the 200es engine, instead of trying to fit the 200s in the 200es frame.

Anyway, good luck with your project.

--
    Yep, yep. ^^^^ Fixer is right.

If there's no damage to your bottom end, use the S top end to fix it.

Your S top end will bolt right up. I would use the ES valve cover though. The S uses a cable operated compression relief and is not compatible to the ES pull rope cover. I prefer the manual lever anyway myself.
    Last edited by Gabriel; 11-30-2018 at 04:07 PM.
    I was born and raised on Venus & I may be here a while.....

--
    Yeah it was wishful thinking. The es had been sitting out in the rain for years with no top end on it so the bottom end is all rusted up. Finding another machine makes the most sense. Would there have to be major modification with a later (85 or 86) motor in the 84 frame?
    S.P.
    1985 ATC 250ES BIG RED (work horse)
    1984 ATC200S (play tirke)
    2020 CRF450R
    2020 CRF110

--
    Very major. Welding and fabricating.
    Not worth it.
    There are no other engines that fit the 84 to my knowledge. The later model ES machines are all 250’s. They will NOT fit. I could be wrong, there MIGHT be another engine that’ll work, I’m no expert but I am fairly certain.

I have a good 200es bottom end if you weren’t so far away.
    I don’t have the means to ship it. Sorry.
    If you find yourself in middle TN though, I’d let it go very reasonable.
    I was born and raised on Venus & I may be here a while.....

--
    The 84 TRX200 is a nearly identical engine to the 200ES. They are both unique because the shaft comes out about center of the engine. Basically all other engines it's offset to the left side and there's no hi/low/reverse lever, it's all internal in the main trans on them.

I suspect you could use the base crank case and transfer the 200s gears into the 200es housing. You'd want to make sure the output shaft and shaft drive parts are still good, but I think the core transmission is more or less the same. You probably can use the 200s crank in it too and most of the side case parts (alternator and such). Like I said, this is more of my weaker area of knowlege, I just know most 200 series engines are extremely similar.

You might be able to find a reasonable priced 200es bottom end on ebay. If you ever got up in the Michigan area, I have 2-3 200es engines laying around that need work but are plenty enough usable. Just need like top end work, generally smoking from probably worn rings. I could give ya a good deal on one. Shipping is just killer and those engines are quite heavy.

If you want a project to learn more about the internals of the engines, you could try to save the 200es gears and such, strip them from rust and such and assest just how bad the water damage is. Might not be the best way to do things, but it's one of the cheaper options, and you'd learn a lot from it. A tiny bit of rust/pitting isn't the end of the world, it's heavy rust and major pitting on wearable surfaces that it gets real bad.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //