//ArrowChat Code
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Any plastic crack repair tricks?

--
    I searched around a bit on the super glue trick, and everything seems to point to that the baking soda acts as an accelerate for the normal super glue reaction. It sets up nearly instantly, and the process is baking soda first, then super glue. Heat is generated in both reactions, but with the accelerate it makes more heat since it's a faster reaction. Neat stuff to know, seems it also helps the super glue bond to surfaces better and such too.

Would be neat for someone to test this on a junk set of plastics and see how hard it is to re-break them. I suspect the flexing would be a problem, but for smaller plastics like headlight housings, it might be a perfect solution. End result is paint able, but it might yellow and cause a slight color change in the paint at the repair location (if it's filling a hole). I know I have a junk fender around, but I'd have to figure a good way to get a nice clean break in it and buy some superglue lol.

--
    i drill a 1/8" hole at the end of the crack. a crack can no crack around 360 degrees. then every 1/4" i type wrap them. not the X stitch, just straight. I go ride then. New plastics are cool if they are too bad.

--
    Zip ties. Or, as the kids call them, drift stitches!

--
    I used a 60 thou thick piece of sheetmetal behind the crack. Drilled a hole, put a cleco in it, then started drilling the rest of the holes and riveting them.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rivets.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	296.9 KB 
ID:	258733

--
    Few more rivets and that ATC is ready for a Judas Priest concert!

Probably a very solid repair.
    I was born and raised on Venus & I may be here a while.....

--
    It looks pretty metal right! Haha

--
    Not many people think of riveting them back together, works great for sheet metal, so why not plastic + sheet metal =D. Now where to find them Honda Red Rivets.

--
    I find zip ties work really well for fenders my 185s fenders are held on only by zip ties works mint

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //