//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 200es engine removal

--

200es engine removal

Hi there, I am a new-be on this forum, I have just bought a "" 1985 200es shaft drive "" to restore / use, & starting with the motor she has no compression, looks like she has been used with no air filter for a good amount of time,

Just wondering how we get the motor out of the frame !! It looks like one of them Chinese puzzles,, Had a 2nd bike for spares all ready stripped, popped the head & barrel off the spare engine & they are both tidy, tight with a standard bore ( not worn ) so planning to fit these to the bike I'm keeping,, ( once I get the engine out ) .

How dose that engine come out ??

--
    Well, it is basically one of those Chinese puzzles, but Japanese instead lol. Of course remove all the bolts holding the engine in. Should be able to get it up about an inch or so to get it off the spots the engine mounts are and slide it forward enough to get the shaft to slip off the output shaft (nothing holds it on if I recall correctly). I don't think it was spring loaded, but you might have to help it off some while holding the engine etc. Once the drive shaft is free, you have to get the angle just right to turn the engine in the frame enough to clear the top end and the top of the frame and pull it out.

All of this is based on memory, but it's something along those lines. Never had the chore of putting one back in yet, but in theory you could reverse what you do to install it. The chain drive models are a bit easier to sneak in and out it seems like, plus a fair bit lighter to hold.

Anyway, good luck on your 200es project. Over here in the US, we only got a 1984 ATC200ES, in 85 the big red was upped to the ATC250ES model which is more or less a complete redesign.

--
    Tilt lean tug

Tilt lean tug

(Insert your favorite profanity)

Tilt lean tug.

It’s fun!!
    Getting them out is easier than in. Getting them in without scratching your fresh paint job will teach you swear words you’ve never used before too.

Good luck.
    I was born and raised on Venus & I may be here a while.....

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    Tilt lean tug

Tilt lean tug

(Insert your favorite profanity)

Tilt lean tug.

It’s fun!!
    Getting them out is easier than in. Getting them in without scratching your fresh paint job will teach you swear words you’ve never used before too.

Good luck.
    Thanks both for you replies,

--
    Thanks both to your replies, you will be happy to know this is the motivation I were looking for, Guess the engine spins clock wise as you sit on the seat " Happy Days "

--
    Yea, pretty sure I've always got them out the right side of the frame. It's a fun puzzle, you just have to work with it for a while lol.

--
    Out is pretty easy after you get everything disconnected. I've had mine out twice, the first time went back in better because I had the rear axle/ driveshaft housing out. The second time I didn't have the rear out & the universal joint assembly has female splines on both sides with a spring pushing it forward from the driveshaft. It was pretty challenging to get the splines aligned & at the right angle to slide together. If I had to do it again I'd be tempted to pull the rear end until I got the engine in.

--
    I have a feeling if a Honda dealer had to pull the engine, They'd pull the rear diff since it's like 4 bolts + the support bars for the hitch. For got to mention that was another option, but generally out isn't too bad. Never had to reinstall a 200es one, but I've done a 250sx before and the rear diff/axle was being replaced too, so I cheated and installed the engine with the drive shaft pulled lol.

--
    Next problem,,

My 200es is a 1985 model according to the serial plate, Looking on ebay on your side of the water for top end engine rebuild kit inc piston & 1984 is the latest ones listed,

My bike is std set-up with 65mm piston,, > Will a 1984 kit fit / piston + ring & gaskets <

--
    Pretty sure the 85 200ES engine over there is exactly the same as the 84 200ES engine over here. I don't know where I could validate that though. I'd need like a Honda Dealer site to look up UK part numbers to cross reference.

--
    Cheers, all comments are helpful,

--
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20181223_125833527 (1).jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	256287

Dragged the 200es out the shed today to start the engine rebuild, all been well the motor will be out by night !!

--
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20181223_142928871.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	256288

Success , Motor out a hell of a lot easier than a 1982 200 chain drive I had done last time, just dropped the starter off & it slipped out the front to the left hand side, once everything was undone, " Happy days " can't wait to get inside her !!.

--
    Congrats, now just memorize the process exactly so you can reinstall with the same success and no scratches if you do fresh paint =).

86125m is offline Got The Holeshot Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    yea I've busted a many a knuckle and smashed a lot of fingers getting those motors in and out.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //