//ArrowChat Code

Upcoming Events for the Next 120 Day(s)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Deployment to Iraq.

--
    So sad, I hope there was time to say goodbye

--
    This will be a hell of a great tribute to Sam Fabs. Very educational also. Thanx for taking the time.
    Please help those who cannot help themselves.

ALWAYS buying Museum quality machines,3 and 4 wheels. And any and ALL ,NOS parts,EVERY brand.

I am turning my PM's Off,my Email is billsracing@hotmail.com,put 3WW in the subject. Thanx!

Gun laws do not stop criminals. BULLETS do.

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by coolpool View Post
    Ah yes that wonderful cold smoke only a cummins can make, know it well. That sweet sticky smell permeates into your clothes too! During super cold conditions when away from base we wouldn't even shut ours off except to check fluids once a day, and you'd better be using winter diesel. Did you ever experience an orange tint of flame coming out of the stack at night when pulling hard? A lot of our motors were clapped out so some trucks were really bad for it; the odd spark would fly too. I'm surprised (as you are) that you were able to keep meeting with you basic training buddy, you're right that almost never happens. There's one PC suspect picture in the bunch, lol. I get it though, it's a bond only Army/Air/Navy buddies can make where you know your boundaries and always show respect.

As soon as I seen those railhead pics I started to get convulsions. You're description of the process is spot on, it's the suckiest job in the world to do! For some reason we had to chock the wheels too?
    I don't recall seeing flames or embers Pete, but we rarely moved at night. There were a handful of times we got caught out after dark, but not many. As far as the wheel chocks, I don't recall, but I'm going to say it's likely we had to chock the wheels as well.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    86 ATC 250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by atc300r View Post
    I know a couple guys from the Motor Pool that may have been there when you were.D.J Walsh and Bill Elliot.
    Thanks for looking and thanks for the replies! I don't know either of those names, but there are a lot of reasons for that. My unit, being a reserve unit, didn't work very closely at all with the active duty units. There are a percentage of active duty soldiers who might think they're better than reservists, and I get it. In the military, there are tiers. Marines look down on army, army looks down on sailors... I say "look down on", but there aren't many at all who hold a true disdain. It's more of a pride and ego thing, a casual thing. You'd better believe any American soldier from any branch would be there for their fellow soldier, seaman, or airman when push comes to shove, but that doesn't mean that they all give each other the utmost respect at all times outside of that, lol.

We did work with active duty soldiers many times during our deployment obviously, but it's usually brief. As a unit, we have all our own personnel who handle all of our units respective functions. Unit administrators, the armorer, truck master, mechanics, cooks... Basically we're shown an area, given a task, and we set up and function as a unit. The active duty personnel would likely just point to our area and say "That's your motorpool." Then we'd take it from there.

The other thing is, you wouldn't just be able to point at Ft Drum and say "Go to the motorpool." The thing is, there are a ton of motorpools on Ft Drum and in every military installation. Our motorpool was simply an empty parking lot when we arrived, then we were assigned that area which made it our motorpool. We were one company of many who were on that post at that time, and every company there, every component, every area has their own motorpool. So the guys you know likely worked in "a" motorpool, but I would have no idea which one.
    Last edited by fabiodriven; 12-10-2018 at 02:31 PM.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    86 ATC 250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    Thanks again to everyone for reading thus far. I will get back on picture uploading soon and continue on with the story. I'm kind of ADHD with the pictures and I want them all organized. I have actual hard copy pictures you hold in your hand, downloaded pics on my computer, pics on a hard drive, facebook... I'm trying to get them all organized and in the right place, I want to make sure I don't miss anything as the story progresses. I'd been going crazy looking for more pictures that I knew I had, turned the house upside down looking for them and it was p!ssing me off. The day of Jonsson's funeral, I had returned home and changed out of my suit. As I slid the clothes on the rack to make room for the suit, a box appeared on top of a small set of drawers which was covered by the many articles of clothes hanging over it. I knew it as soon as I saw it, another box of pictures. There are only a few army pictures in there, but I don't want to miss one. There was at least one important picture I had in mind which I hadn't found yet and I'm banking on that one and hopefully others I forgot about being in there.

Speaking of Jonsson again, I wanted to say a little more about the funeral and the 325th TC in general. The people I served with, I just couldn't ask for a better group of people. After having not seen each other in so long, it was amazing to see the group of soldiers who showed up to send off Jonsson on his last mission. It was as if we hadn't missed a minute, and it's been so many years. I have aged so much in just the last year or two and seeing how old everyone got was a shock.

Something amazing happened though which brought tears to my eyes. We have a particular Ssgt who was always VERY outspoken and also extremely funny. He used to scream at the top of his lungs and make total arses out of people and anyone around to see it would usually be in stitches laughing, the man is a riot. The thing is, even though it's funny and certain people are expected to laugh, if it's you his attention is directed on, as funny as it is you still have to listen to him and obey his orders. Of course he got serious from time to time, we all have to. Just a very outspoken individual and a bit rough around the edges.

We were at the Jonsson family home after the funeral ceremony and there were about ten of us who served together standing in the dining room. Mr Jonsson was passing through when the aforementioned outspoken Ssgt stopped him and introduced himself. He then introduced each and every one of us to Sam's father and explained who we all were and how we knew his son. He then went into a completely unrehearsed, long, funny, and humble set of stories about his son Sam explaining to Sam's father how important of a soldier he was to all of us and how selfless he was. I'm not sure I've been so humbled in my life standing next to the Ssgt as this interaction progressed, as it was one of the most beautiful moments I've ever experienced. I tried telling someone about the moment yesterday and it took all I had not to cry once I put myself back in the moment and began to vocalize the experience, I had to cut it short. The tears are streaming now as I type this, but I'm by myself so that's fine.

It was amazing to me to see a man who comes off as so brash, if you knew this man, and then to stand there and speak the way he did to Sam's father and have us all reliving and remembering times of which some I'd forgotten. It was inspirational, and that's not a word I would have expected to use regarding this particular Ssgt. That's not to say anything negative about the Ssgt, it was just a surprise to me, that's all.

This was at our little drinking camp in Ft Drum.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	48168139_2434076936622603_5759938262223290368_o.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	79.4 KB 
ID:	256101

Name:	48361087_2434078419955788_504985938082922496_o.jpg 
Size:	243.3 KB 
ID:	256103

Name:	47680490_2434077886622508_1708436603350810624_o.jpg 
Size:	126.7 KB 
ID:	256104
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    86 ATC 250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    Next time I go past Drum I will get a couple pics of the new reserve building and bridge they built.
    250r rules

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //