//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Disappointed in today's Honda plastics

--

Disappointed in today's Honda plastics

Honda is really going down hill on their quality on plastics and paint! I have owned several Honda Recons and the plastics fade easy and the paint peels off, WTH!they no longer powdercoat? The paint peels right off the frame and if you power wash the rims paint flys off them to. I am really disappointed, I wouldn't be surprised if they are getting complaints, guess it's all about profit .I noticed some parts are no longer made in Japan, that explains it alot, I'd bet the fenders are made in China.

--
    Yea, I've seen a few parts state made in China from Honda and that's some older parts even. What year are your Recons? My dad has had a couple Rincons (03 and what ever year was the first for fuel injection) a 2012 Big Red side by side and a 2002ish 450 Foreman. Haven't notice any fading on those machines, but they are stored inside when not being rode, and I'm in Michigan, so less sun here.

A lot of Japanese companies are doing the same thing, trying to cut costs t keep product prices down (or increase profit whichever). Like Toyota was nearly 100% made in Japan parts, around 1995 they started making a bunch of parts in the USA. Hate to say it, but the USA made cars vs Japan built cars, the Japan imported ones are still better quality. Like the Toyota 4Runner is still Japanese built, while the Tacoma/Tundra are USA built. First thing I noticed on two parts Tundras was the door pins are SHOT on both of them, I've NEVER seen any Toyota with shot door pins. Even the 1992 pickup with 517k miles is tight. That's partly why I drive a 98 T100 (last Made in Japan larger pickup before the Tundra), and a 1990 Lexus (Toyota's Luxury brand) LS400.

The "Made in China" tag isn't always the end of the world, but more often than not it's lower grade than what it could be. Products made in China have been getting better and better over the years, just wish they'd get their act together and actually focus on quality and quality control.

--
    Sell your Honda save your money and go buy a Yamaha. I wanted to buy my wife a new Yamaha Kodiak 450 because it was better in every way over a Honda rancher........she liked the rancher the best due to size so i bought her a 2015 with 18 miles. I'm currently stripping the machine right now and removing i'ts junk camo painted plastics....it has black under the camo.

Your paying for the dealership and brotherhood experience of HONDA, take a look at their dirt bikes and street bikes....everything is top notch great. Honda does not really care about the atv market or else they would care to give new models, cutting edge stuff. They only want to give people what has been working and is safe. A lot of Honda atv stuff is made in USA anymore because USA holds the biggest ATV market, not china however the brand is focusing the design efforts in other markets, not the atv market. This rancher will hold is value nice, not sure why other then its a Honda. Ive already thrown out about 10lbs of junk off the atv.

My neighbor works at Honda for the last 30 years, he only rides the stuff pre 2000's and knows theirs been change, its not designers, it comes from above saying either design this or that. Now add a flooded market or a market you have been past in well over 10 years ago....you really gonna spend energy to bring you to the top...nope. They are marketed differently now.

And everything is held together with pop rivets on this freaking thing...everything!

--
    Yea no fan of the plastic pop rivets.

Interesting that you view Yamaha as a higher quality product now. I don't have experience with 2000+ Yamaha stuff so I can't really comment at all. My dad's first quad he bought new was a 1999 Yamaha Warrior. Right off the trailer from the dealer it had starter problems. I think it took 3 starter rebuild kits before it stopped failing. Besides that it's been a solid machine, we beat the hell out of it, horrible mindset my dad was in. Basically, if it's going to break, he's going to make it break while under warranty. I bought the machine off him something like 12 years ago and it just sits now since I got into the Honda 3 wheelers. It was starting to smoke a little at higher rpms, like you gun it, let off, then gun it again and it would puff a bit of visible smoke, guessing valve stem seals. The 84-85 Honda stuff seemed more reliable than the Yamaha and I beat them pretty similarly. The 2002+ Honda's my dad bought he actually took care of and didn't try to blow them up mudding them etc, so they are all in more or less great shape and never had any parts replaced to date besides a couple accidents where plastics got messed up.

My cousin bought a newish Can am Renegade 800, and that thing was really interesting to ride. It reminded me a LOT of my 350x except the weird feeling of having 4 wheels and no shifting. Couldn't make the thing wheelie though on flat ground. My cousin mudded it a few times and got water on the belt and it slipped and it went into limp mode. Not sure if he ever got it out of limp mode but he sold it within a few months after that. He switched to main off roading in a Toyota 4Runner, and his Jeep Cherokee. Kind of funny he spent a bunch of money on a lift kit for the 4Runner, and his friend has a sky jacked Jeep Cherokee and I went though the same mud as them with my stock T100 (pickup vs SUV alone is a disadvantage). I got stuck in the last major mud hole, I slipped into the roots from the guy with 36in tires and my 32in's couldn't find anything to grab. Had water coming in on my floor boards lol.

--
    Canam is junk. I mean it's high end junk that's not gonna last. Evey Yamaha sport quad til the raptors came into play were junk. I'm building my daughter a blaster but it's mixed with 250R and will have a Honda motor.

Freaking canam can be fun, I've pulled two out of the woods in last 3years. You own a high tech quad I must go to dealer for service. Even this rancher might. I'm all for efi but I can't solve thrown codes. Not my job not my problem, goes to dealer lol.

I'm turning this ranchet to a xc style toy, so much is getting thrown away. Still wish wife liked Kodiak more. Go look at new stuff, make everything old look like junk.

Honda's are just a name associated with a memory. Either way I'll cut anything up.

Like these stock 2012 grizzly 700 alum rims. Freaking Honda used heavy steel and two dif sizes. Grizzly rims saved me half the weight. Monday I'll draw up renforce outside rings to be water jet cut and have welded in. My neigbor can't belive what I'm doing. I told him doing what Honda won't.

Next im throwing away racks for poly ones off a polaris. Who knows what I'll get into next...oh head deck why not. Free power is nice.

--
    Yea, my dad really wishes his Big Red side by side was a 1000cc, it's more of a utility machine. It does damn well out in the woods hauling wood, but then again, a tiny Toyota pickup truck, bobbed and shorten with welded rear diff would do about just as good (the side by side has 4 wheel diff lock). Of course the Toyota would haul more weight with the solid rear axle. Whenever my T100 would fit to get wood, I could haul about two loads worth of wood that the side by side could handle, both without racks. I later got racks, so I can hold around 2.5 of the side by side loads now. Of course the T100 has a smaller box being a mid sized truck, and it's a short box (6.5ft I think) because of the extended cab.

On the rims, I guess Honda just wants to stick to reliable vs performance. Steel bends less often and alum rims can be hard to have a good tire seal, aka it's common for alum rims to leak slowly, even on cars/trucks. For utility I'd prefer steel rims, for sport alum all the way.

I agree the EFI stuff is made a bit more complicated than it should be. I guess they are banking on the fact the owner will take it to the dealer instead of wrenching on it their self. With good documentation EFI systems are generally not too bad to deal with. I grew up working on EFI cars/trucks though, carb is defo simpler in the fix/replace parts area, but you have to have a good ear for good tuning, or a machine to analyze the exhaust. It's kind of like analog signals vs digital, analog will almost always work even if it's poor signal, digital breaks up and has all kinds of fits with any kind of interference. In the end digital gives higher bandwidths and quality, but only when it's working right.

I'm kind of in the same boat, I don't mind cutting up old machines, you can't save them all, and if it's a trashed machine, it would have most likely gone to the scrap yard anyway. My dad put a Yamaha TX500 engine in a early 90's blaster frame. I have to build a wire harness for it some time in the warm weather and finish the exhaust system and such. Should be a blast with a stock HP of 49hp. It was originally built to be a cheap beater for a mud toy, those tires were used on our 99 Yamaha warrior and would go though more mud than any stock 4x4, atleast from back then. Mud wheelies were a thing too lol, heck I could drive thing thing up a 5 foot snow drift after 5 or so attempts. On the blaster, my dad remounted the swing arm about 6 inches back, and centered it in the chain so less chain wear and such. I think we were planning to put a tensioner on the bottom side to hold the chain tight too since it ended up so long. The quad came from the local atv junk yard, and the bike engine was from a wrecked low miles bike my dad got on a trade or something like that. Engine was lightly seized, couldn't kick it over, but the electric start was strong enough to break it free (lube in cylinders etc). We've ran it a few times like 12 years ago and it sounds to run awesome. Probably will be pretty crap in the trails since it's so much heavier and longer, but straight line will be a blast lol.
    Attached Images Attached Images

86125m is offline Got The Holeshot Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    Well after seeing all the new bikes that are out there I think I'll just stick with my old 200m and 200x the new stuff just doesn't seem as well built and there are too many darn electronics on them which is fine on my car but a bike that I'm gonna take through water mud and sand I think not! Just about the only new bike I would buy would be the honda recon as it seems to have that old honda feel and still has a carburator but I just don't see this bike as any kind of upgrade from my 200m and it definetly won't be as fun as my 200x.

--
    Kfx700 puts most things to shame. I own one. It's getting elkas built for me since my wife didn't want it anymore and I sold my 60hp raptor hillclimber. One of the best bikes I owned. 20hp is ok but I'm too use to things with power. I'm over trikes build so many none really performed right but a built 200x

--
    What all did you do to the 200x? I've rode air cooled 250r's and a couple 350x's and about 5 different 200x's and the 200x felt over geared under powered like crazy compared to the others. My 250sx was as fast or faster than the 200x's, but maybe all of the machines were piles of crap. I know the 250r and 350x are not exactly built or anything, 350x's both have a good running engine, but no mods that I'm aware of.

I sold the two 200x's because of the experience I've had with them. Never did a compression test or anything though to check the engine health. They were nice and light and nimble though.

A built 250r can make like 50hp+, I'm not super crazy on 2 strokes, but for a fast 3 wheeler, I suspect that is where it would be at.

--
    I build a $6,000 200x that felt like a 400ex. My old threads are on here. I used 83r suspension. I spent a few hours cutting crap off this rancher. Everything's bolted together with plastics plates and pop rivets. Cool thing is cutting plastic is nicer then metal. I prob took off 2lbs of plastic up by the radiator. I'm still not done. While machine is closed up so tight you can't wash crap off the motor. It's got about 5lbs to loose yet.

--
    i never said KFX700 had 60hp. my build raptor did. please learn to read.

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --

Disappointed in today's Honda plastics

Oldstool you are are a friggin wack job dude. You've got more fables than Aesop.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    Don't know much about the 4x4s, but my '14 450R looks great after riding and power washing.

IMG_20180922_102246.jpg
    "See, morbid and creepifying, I got no problem with, long as she does it quiet-like. "

Trikes:
    1982 Honda ATC250R(in process), 1984 Honda ATC110, 1984 Honda 200s, 1985 Kawasaki KLT160(not running...yet)
    Quads:
    1990 Suzuki LT250S, 2013 Suzuki LT-Z400, 2014 Honda TRX450R SE

--

--
    I took a few things off this rancher. Also beefed a few things up like the sheet metal front bumper, I think the sport quads were less pop riveted. I've been around many 04-14 450R's

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //