//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How would you fix this gas tank

--

How would you fix this gas tank

Holiday project.
    Trying to clean up the gas tank on my 85 250es and noticed a build up in the bottom corners with signs of it leaking on the engine.
    I was planning on using KBS coating sealer kit which as I understand will seal up small pin holes, but after cleaning up the corners
    here is what it looks like. it might leak a drop after a week or so, its very slow.
    Anyone have experience with the sealer kit? or what would you do to fix this?

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181225_140601.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	2.38 MB 
ID:	256300  

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --
    It's been years since I've used a tank liner but I would imagine a good one would have no problems sealing that. If you're worried about it, you could hit those parts with a welding machine first then grind it smooth. You would have to have the machine at a very low setting and an experienced welder, because the machine is going to want to blow right through that thin metal.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    I know Bill Kirsch tank sealer would cover this pin holes and hold. Spread some JB weld on those areas where it is rotted through then you do not have to worry about burning through with a mig welder. The JB weld will give something for the tank sealer to dry against.

--
    Thanks guys,
    I was thinking of doing some spot welds and grind down, but I forgot about JB weld, I had this stuff holding my engine together back in the day.
    and because of the location I think I will go that route and touch up the paint.

Thanks

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --
    X2 on the JB Weld, I don't know what I was thinking. That should have been my first suggestion, much better idea than welding.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    Marine grade fuel tank epoxy would patch that with no problem .
    78 atc 90/180cc Dickson Full Suspension
    76 ATC90/180cc Nicholson
    77 atc 90 Dickson Full Suspension
    84 KLT 110/123cc Powroll Racer from 80s
    87 atc 125m stock
    84 atc 200x Curtis Sparks
    84 atc 200x Powroll My race bike from 80's
    83 atc70/108cc Powroll blue Xmas Special
    81 atc185s HP-ATC full suspension

Performance Shop is Open PM me for Service

My Feedback http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ck+shortline10

--
    Even regular fuel tank epoxy would work just fine too. If it was me, I'd only use a fuel tank epoxy with no liner unless there's a lot of rust inside. If there is a lot of rust, then you'd probably be better off to use a tank liner too.

--
    I have soldered those sorts of holes. Soft solder, with a decent sized soldering iron. Seems more permanent than epoxy, which I have also used, but seems to leak again in a year or two

--
    Another idea better than welding.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    before you fix, just run the numbers on the costs to fix it all up. There are many replacement tanks out there nowadays which will hold up the life of the machine. Just an idea.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-GAS-F...vzt:rk:81:pf:0

--
    I've tried using JB Weld on the exact same issue in the past, with poor results. I spent a lot of time prepping it, etc. It held okay for about a year, then started leaking. Just my experience.
    1985 Honda ATC 250ES
    1985 Honda ATC 250SX
    1984 Honda ATC 200M
    1983 Honda ATC 200
    1984 Honda ATC 110

--

How would you fix this gas tank

Quote Originally Posted by Big G View Post
    I've tried using JB Weld on the exact same issue in the past, with poor results. I spent a lot of time prepping it, etc. It held okay for about a year, then started leaking. Just my experience.
    There are different kinds of JB Weld and I'm confident there is one that would work permanently by itself, but I wouldn't trust JB Weld alone personally. If I had that tank, I'd JB Weld it then do the tank liner. Then you know you're covered.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    I also had a tank with JB weld in about the same spot and it weeped. Looked like someone just mixed it up and pushed it on though for my case.

The soldering route can work, but it's hard to get the solder to stick. I think brazing it is the best option, basically welding but with out electricity (pretty must the same thing as soldering). Don't forget to fill the tank with water to push all the gas fumes out so you don't get any fire balls.

Here's the first vid I found of someone fixing a tank this way. I think they look pretty new to brazing, so if he can do it, anyone should be able to =). I think the flame is a bit big/hot for the thin metal, but I've only brazed like once or twice with a portable map gas torch and it didn't take much to be plenty hot enough. I tried to solder a tank with like a 80w solder iron, and it didn't work out so well, probably didn't have strong enough flux, and no clue what kind of solder it was, wasn't my equipment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuoaHRNaAj0

Howdy is offline Putting Priorities in Order, Busier than ever. Catch me if you can
    --
    I have used Red-Kote and the one tank I done 10-12 years ago is still holding up with no issues.
    Howdy

--
    How's the inside of the tank?....I'm assuming if you have rusted out holes you may have a rusted tank.

Clean the inside and de-rust it followed by Caswell. It's a 2 part epoxy that will hold up exceptionally well.....probably better than anything else out there.

Good luck

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //