//ArrowChat Code
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Help with my 1985 atc 200x

--
    Hmm, The second harness which I purchased seems complete, the extra 2 female terminals near the socket for the headlight bulb appear factory, have the same clear rubber boots as seen for the pulse generator, and exciter and lighting coils in the harness above the motor. Their are no signs of soldering or tampering by anyone. So I just wondered why the connections where their. All the other connections hook up as usual.

The original harness is a mixture of butt connecters electircal tape and is missing the tailight wire from where the top of the motor is to the rear end of the trike. It is brittle, unlike the second one on it now. Thats the main reason I swapped it. Had actually been sitting in my spare parts box in a ziplock since probably 2006. It was advertised as I remember as being removed from a running 200x.

I am fixing to go out and remove the flywheel cover, and install the original exciter coil. I will also take a measurement of the ohms with the cover off of each coil that way I can give you an accurate number for consideration. Will report back later this evening with the results. Wish me luck.
    Last edited by Tacky; 12-29-2018 at 10:48 PM.

--
    Don't forget to disconnect them before testing =).

If you can, upload a photo of those extra connections. Maybe it's a harness from another machine or something, but I can't recall anything that has the same engine hook ups as the 200x and have a similar layout. I have an 83 and 84-85 (same part number) harness, and an 86 which is completely different and the description doesn't match them on the extra connections. Hopefully things like the CDI connector and such wasn't messed with, if the pin out was changed, it wouldn't spark in that case either, but I'd think it's unlikely someone would move the pins around.

Also before I mentioned the CDI connector as a odd ball 4 & 3 pin connector, that was for the 83 harness, for some reason I was thinking it was an 83 you was working on back then. Anyway, 84-85 was a round 6 pin connector, most other machines that used that connector were the same pin out if I remember right. It's the 86+ 4+2 style that went a bit weird on the pin outs and changed a few times.

There's so many what-ifs with your machine, I'm a bit scrambled lol.

--
    Hey so am I. I am baffled to say the least. Ok so I removed the left flywheel cover with the exciter and lighting coils inside. I set my multimeter to auto ohm and tested and got this with it off the machine.

Ricky Stator Exciter coil 0.208K ohms

I then tested the oem exciter coil and got a reading of 14.8K ohms

I then removed the ricky stator exciter and replaced it with the oem that came with it.

I got a reading of 14.5k on the oem exciter coil reinstalled.

I got 00.0 ohms on the lighting coil. I rechecked the wiring, and reconnected everything. I checked for spark, still no joy. I am going back out their now and take a picture of the harness behind the headlight where the 2 extra leads exist.

I may very well have the wrong harness, we will know shortly, but everything hooks up as it should.
    Last edited by Tacky; 12-29-2018 at 10:45 PM.

--
    OK, here is the picture of the harness where the handlebar switch plugs in. You can see the black wire that connects and the headlight plug, then the 2 extra wires with female connections.Attachment 256344

Attachment 256345

Those are the ones in question. One is green, and one appears to be a white or tan color.

--
    According to tne wiring diagram I just looked at, there are two unused connectors that split off from the trip meter connections.

A different diagram shows two unused connectors toward the rear of the harness.

These manuals are anything BUT complete although it seems to be the consensus that there ARE 2 unused wires on there somewhere.

Despite the differences (location) in diagrams, they show to be the same.
    Check to see if you get continuity between the unused connections and your tail lights. If so, they must be for an accessory of some sort as one is hot and the other is a ground.
    If that ain’t it, I’m lost.
    Last edited by Gabriel; 12-29-2018 at 10:57 PM.
    I was born and raised on Venus & I may be here a while.....

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    According to tne wiring diagram I just looked at, there are two unused connectors that split off from the trip meter connections.
    Can you post a link to the diagram? I assume it's probably the generic 3rd party ones that I find more mistakes in than the Honda branded service manuals. I'm guessing the diagram shows the split more along the lines of going to the meter and back out, so if the meter isn't used, the core harness connection is just used, aka no extra connections?

Here's the 83-85 ATC200X wire diagram from the Honda Shop Manual

The only extra connection points in the diagram is at the tail light connector, they use a double female terminal, but only one is used, still same number of wires though.

Also for giggles, I figured I'd show the 350x harness which actually has extra connections for the speedometer. It's near the top left area where it says OP. (optional). Those extra wires are actually part of the handle bar switch harness instead of the main harness.

Also @ Tacky your photos didn't show up. The upload thing on here is kind of weird. Assuming you're using a pc, do the same steps, but once the image pops in the bottom bar, just close the window and hit reply/submit or whatever the post button is and it should attach at the bottom of the post. The insert inline is for fancy formatting and stuff and it seems to break things easily. If there's no reference to the image in any post, I'm pretty sure it gets deleted off the server. No clue what it would look like on a cellphone.

Oh I also have a fancy image I made based on OEM harnesses to ID years and such. Since your machine is an 85, I'd assume your harness should match the 84-85 layout. I don't really cover the handle bar controls/headlight area though. I attached the image with no insert inline stuff, so it will show up at the bottom of the post.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ATC200X Idenfication.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	84.4 KB 
ID:	256347  

--
    There’s two different diagrams on the 3WWORLD home page.
    I was born and raised on Venus & I may be here a while.....

--
    Ahh, let me try this again.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181229_213829.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	923.4 KB 
ID:	256348Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181229_213841.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	975.7 KB 
ID:	256349

--
    I have more clues. I was looking at the harness near the headlight plug, and found a part number on a white tag, the tag was ripped in half but here are the numbers I got off it.

38100 965_0103 Don't know if that helps the numbers are barely legible Also I checked the wires coming from and going into the 5 pin harness, it is 6 with one missing and all the colors match on both side of the connector, had to use a little acetone to remove years of old paint.

--
    The tag on the harness..

Name:	20181229_220811.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	2.77 MB 
ID:	256352

Name:	20181229_220820.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	2.99 MB 
ID:	256353
    Last edited by Tacky; 12-30-2018 at 12:23 AM.

--
    Here are the pictures as an attachment in the event they did not come through the other way.

Name:	20181229_220820.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	2.99 MB 
ID:	256354   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181229_220811.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	2.77 MB 
ID:	256355   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181229_213841.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	975.7 KB 
ID:	256356   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181229_213829.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	923.4 KB 
ID:	256357  

--
    That's a weird setup, the headlight connector disconnects?

Here's the part number from that white tag - 32100-965-010 which comes up as a 84-85 ATC200X harnesses. I'll add a photo of my stock harness so show the difference.

https://www.partzilla.com/product/ho...97471a4eb24db6

Maybe I'm looking at the photo wrong, it just looks like it plugs into the harness, but I think it's backwards, the handle bar controls are what it's plugged into, seems like a lot of slack for the harness in that area. Anyway, yea those colors are pretty sun faded. The two wires coming out would be green and brown, so it would light up a bulb when ever the lights are turned on. So yea in this case, the Honda service manual is lacking info, both 83 and 84-85 harnesses have those connectors (called bullet terminals). I need to build some "real" wire diagrams that are 100% accurate instead of this hit and miss stuff.

Nice to see I should be able to make the harness reproduced simpler for the average person. I probably should make a "bare bones" full harness, vs a full reproduction, and of course the no lighting wiring race style.

Anyway, here's the 3ww diagram from the 3rd part manual, which ironically is more accurate this time than the Honda made ones. Gah why does so many things have to have mistakes around the electrical stuff lol.

Name:	IMG_20181230_242041_681.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	689.7 KB 
ID:	256359   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20181230_242002_771.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	667.9 KB 
ID:	256360  

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --
    It's threads like these that will always keep internet forums at least somewhat relevant. You can't do this on the book and even if you could, it would be a fart in the wind, lost information. Carry on boys.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    Yea I agree, I poked a little on facebook (not a normal user here even though I was a pc tech), and it's just all chaos, no order, nothing preserved. I don't really get the point, horrible for tech discussion that won't ever be found by search engines. I could see it great for asking questions to a business, or general chat with family that doesn't need to be referenced later.

I really need to make a thread some time pointing out all of the Honda service manual mistakes. I think this is like #7 or #8 that I've seen so far and I'm only really focused on the 3 wheeler models.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacky View Post
    Hey so am I. I am baffled to say the least. Ok so I removed the left flywheel cover with the exciter and lighting coils inside. I set my multimeter to auto ohm and tested and got this with it off the machine.

Ricky Stator Exciter coil 0.208K ohms

I then tested the oem exciter coil and got a reading of 14.8K ohms

I then removed the ricky stator exciter and replaced it with the oem that came with it.

I got a reading of 14.5k on the oem exciter coil reinstalled.

I got 00.0 ohms on the lighting coil. I rechecked the wiring, and reconnected everything. I checked for spark, still no joy. I am going back out their now and take a picture of the harness behind the headlight where the 2 extra leads exist.

I may very well have the wrong harness, we will know shortly, but everything hooks up as it should.

So with these measurements do they fall into ok? I also have the correct harness?

Still no spark so what steps should i take next, or check. Cdi box? Pulse generator? Spark advancer?

I did disconnect the handlebar switch, and gave it a few kicks, still no fire.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //