//ArrowChat Code
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: 86’ Polaris scrambler 250r 3-wheeler

--
    I realize now, I should have checked this first. Here you go, to add it to your vin decoder.

Lmk if you need a specific connector.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

--
    Interesting, based on the CDI setup, it's designed after a Yamaha/Kawasaki quite a bit it seems. I also found out I have at least a similar 2 pin rubber bullet connector setup similar to what was photoed before. I might have to keep my eye out for a harness from one of those machines. The area that might use a weird connector would be for the handle bar controls and ignition switch.

For the VIN, how did you know it is an 85 vs 86, like is there any info documented to say x vin to x vin is 85? I'd have to see a few VINs, but likely the first 3 would be to identify the model, and the last 4 production numbers. Not sure if over 8000 of that model was sold or not though.

Poking around, looks like the manufactuer's site supports the non-17 digit VINS just like Kawasaki's site, so with enough poking around I can probably figure it out. Kind of stinks their vins are numbers only, can get multi brand results quick if the numbers line up just right.

Anyway, here's a screen shot of the info for your machine, pretty interesting to know exact purchase date. Since it says the engine number, you could validate your engine is "numbers matching" aka orig to that frame.

EDIT:

Oh.... looks like the serial number is mixed up like crazy, 1218475 is 86, 1218476 is 85 again. WTF was Polaris thinking. Good thing I'm a programmer, but for Polaris machines I'll have to make a database lookup after scraping the site.

EDIT2:

Scripted and fired up a data scraper, grabbing all of the 7 digit VINs for polaris so I can build a look up table based on VIN or engine serial. Kind of funny, some of the machines polaris doesn't even give a model name for, international machines are even mixed in a little, got a couple Swedish ones.

Anyway, looks like this number standard VIN started in 1984, any idea what their VINs looked like before 84?

EDIT3:

Well searched for an 83 VIN, and it looks like Polaris's site doesn't support 83 and older VINs, guessing it's poorly scripted on the back end because the VIN starts with a place holder 0 (09 for 83, 08 for 82). Not a huge deal since basically all of those machines would be snowmobiles and such, but wouldn't mind getting that info scraped too. Also, kind of funny, I already see duped engine serial numbers, I guess the model/machine is required to make it unique.
    Last edited by ps2fixer; 06-15-2019 at 02:23 PM.

--
    I built a data scraper to grab the data on the vins to see what is really going on, your machine is 1 vin off from the random 86 machine mixed in with all the 85's. the 86 vin range has a completely different model machine mixed in the middle of them lol. Kind of a weird setup. Engine serials don't seem to have much of a pattern to them, like the grabbed a random engine and threw it on the machine and logged it.

Here's the VIN info since I kind of doubt this is known/public. Besides the 2 bad VINs in the ranges, it's accurate. Looks like your machine is 1 of 499 ever made.

1985 Scrambler (W857027) - 1217084-1217095 & 1218013-1218500 (499)
    1986 Scrambler (W867027) - 1308687-1309887 (1200)

--
    You may have noticed, that one 86 has a low engine number. Which is about 5000 lower than the first number listed for 86.
    Thank you for double checking and beyond. That’s great info.
    To answer you, I found it on Polaris web site but, here it was and more good info:
    http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...f-you-have-one

--
    Here's a screen shot of the 86 range with a random machine in the middle. Engine serials are a bit all over, the trailboss is right in the middle of all the scrambler engine serial numbers, below/after the scramblers is a group of trailbosses with similar engine serial numbers. Like I said, there's not much of a pattern, just a slightly increasing number with the first number being 1 year before the model year for some machines, same for others. Model numbers seem to be the same, 0 = usa, w = usa?, s = swed, n = norway, then model year, then like a unique model number.

Like this, W857027 = usa, 1985 model year, and model #7027, then the engine serial is 8500022, 1985 again, #00022.

If I jump to an Indy 400, model comes up as 0860759, 0 for usa, 86 for 1986 model, model #0759. I suspect the Indy 400 is an older model than the scrambler, if there's any pattern at all to it.

I could post up the scrambler info to like pastebin or something. It's pretty interesting data. The full data dump of all machines is over 100k records so far and I think it runs into like 97-99ish.

All of the data is based on results from the link below. I marked the data output as "ATV" for everything because I thought it was separated from snowmobiles and such, but all of the pages returns results for the vin numbers.

https://atv.polaris.com/en-us/vin-search/

Also there's some interesting things, like engine serials starting with the first digit lower 1 than all the others, indicating it's a 10 year older engine. Not sure if it's a mistype at the factory, or if it's legit what's printed on the engine, clearly a mistake one way or another. Also some have blank engine serials, and some marked as no engine. Here's a screen shot of a few hits on that, "No Eng" and "xxxxxxx"

--
    Thinking of towing, I might want to save bigger loads for the Honda until I figure out how this rear brake works. I like the idea of not shifting, though.
    I’ve been messing with the plastics and ready to move on with the mechanics, only because my shoulders need a rest. It won’t be much, just a carb cleaning. Then, back to sanding. Here’s what buffing with just a paper towel will do after wet sanding with 2000 grit. They need a coat of wax, still.

--
    This beats wax for plastics..IMHO. If used properly it works awesome!
    https://www.amazon.com/PC-Racing-Pla...SIN=B000GTUZLO
    I was born and raised on Venus & I may be here a while.....

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    This beats wax for plastics..IMHO. If used properly it works awesome!
    https://www.amazon.com/PC-Racing-Pla...SIN=B000GTUZLO
    Thanks, I’ve used it and have a lot left over. I was trying a different route. It has worked good for me, though. My results varied , so like you said, if used properly, I guess. But it did give a mirror like finish.
    More or less looking for a little uv protection but not essential.

--
    Since I like going through these to clean and grease, I figured I send a few pictures for ps2fixer.

The plastic sleeve, inside the socket is a nice touch:

Gives me a chance to sand the headlight bucket...
    Couple other small things I’ve noticed that are interesting:
    1. Vent hoses at the top of the fort boots going up the steering neck. Maybe a Yamaha thing?
    2. Drain plug under muffler.
    It’s got snowmobile technologies, with a subaru engine & a Yamaha front end. It’s beautiful!!

--
    Thanks for the wiring photos. They really liked to jumper style wiring. Pretty interesting some of the bullet terminals are the water proofing style, while others just has the open sleeve style.

What brand did the insulators on the green wires say? Looks like it might be Grayline?

I was looking at engine serial number pics, seems like a lot of the old Polaris engines were made in Japan, kind of makes sense why the wiring has a lot of Japanese style connectors and such too.

--

86’ Polaris scrambler 250r 3-wheeler

Yes, they are grayline.
    Funny, that green you see ‘grayline’ on, is the one wire pulled out of the loom. It goes to the neutral/reverse indicator switch. Not sure why it was pulled out back to the headlight. It has no splices in it. No big deal, it will tuck right back in.

I actually like the wire loom with the removable loom clamps mainly for this reason-accessibility.
    Probably will put an additional plastic sleeve over all those connectors for the reg/rec, before tidying them.

Although the plastics have normal scuffs, they’re shining up.

Last edited by Jd110; 07-06-2019 at 01:54 AM.

Howdy is offline Putting Priorities in Order, Busier than ever. Catch me if you can
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    Wow, I'm Polaris dumb....
    Just noticed it's 2 stroke. That sucker could be made to scoot if tuned right. COOL!!!
    I picked one up From a dealer in Iowa about 6-7 years ago. It is a running sob. Had it out Saturday and my friend had his 570 Polaris quad with speedometer on it. He was shocked that The 250 would do 55mph. The other one I drive at Trikefest was clocked at 52 with a radar. Plenty fast enough for 372lbs dry weight.

One thing these are not made to do is jump. You will do serious damage on a big jump. My son found out the hard way, tranny, swing arm, and frame was destroyed.
    Howdy

--
    I kind of expected the Polaris to be a bit faster being 2 stroke and belt drive. My 250sx clocked in at 52mph on a gravel road using a 680 Rincon with a speedometer. Pretty similar speeds/specs I guess, dry weight of the 250sx is 357lbs. Engine should be all stock, oem exhaust and such.

That wiring is cleaning up so nice, makes it look like it's only a few years old or something.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ps2fixer View Post
    I kind of expected the Polaris to be a bit faster being 2 stroke and belt drive. My 250sx clocked in at 52mph on a gravel road using a 680 Rincon with a speedometer. Pretty similar speeds/specs I guess.
    I have raced my Scrambler several 250SXs on the 300 foot strip at Trikefest. It's not even anything resembling a race.
    At 100 feet the P3 is almost max'ed out, I turn around a see I have 10 bike lengths lead and the SX is clunking through the gears.
    I doubt the SX is max'ed out at the finish line, but not sure on that.
    So yes, while the top speeds are very close one gets there in a hurry, the other decidedly does not.
    If I get a good start, I can hang in there with a 350X - although I have never beat one.

--
    Do the P3 share the same drivetrain as the 250 Trailblazer quad by any chance?

I ask because I know you can get cvt mods which help the lockup a little on the drive belt so you can get more power to the rear tires faster than stock

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //