//ArrowChat Code
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: 86’ Polaris scrambler 250r 3-wheeler

--
    Quote Originally Posted by keister View Post
    I have raced my Scrambler several 250SXs on the 300 foot strip at Trikefest. It's not even anything resembling a race.
    At 100 feet the P3 is almost max'ed out, I turn around a see I have 10 bike lengths lead and the SX is clunking through the gears.
    I doubt the SX is max'ed out at the finish line, but not sure on that.
    So yes, while the top speeds are very close one gets there in a hurry, the other decidedly does not.
    If I get a good start, I can hang in there with a 350X - although I have never beat one.
    I'll have to find you at trike fest some time, I have both the 250sx and a 350x =). My 250sx is slow as can be acceleration wise vs my 350x, I'd put it more on par with a 200 series 3 wheeler. My 350x doesn't top out by the end of the track, but I was only a couple lengths behind a guy that had a 490 big bore kit in his, and I'm racing him with my crappy looking machine that probably is a stock engine setup (I never opened it) with a overly loud DG exhaust and a poorly tuned carb (lean). The SX did take a long distance to max out, shifting defo takes away from the acceleration, belt drive is more ideal for drag style racing because of it's CVT effect. Not sure how efficient it is for drive line losses vs say chain drive though. I suspect I could keep up ok on my SX vs your P3, but doubt I'd beat you, I'd have to power shift to even have a chance. I wonder what the HP is of the P3 engine. 2 stroke 250cc should be somewhere near the power of a 250r or 350x.

Ironically, when we were getting the top speed of my 250SX, my cousin was also doing the same for his 1987 TRX250X, his machine was a little faster than the SX, but wasn't a huge difference, his top speed was higher though, maybe like 55-58mph.

Anyway, I don't exactly ride my 250sx because it's the fastest machine, it's just really nice being shaft drive, mud & jumps etc isn't a problem, just can't do any extreme jumps since the suspension is too stiff and probably not nearly enough travel.

--

86’ Polaris scrambler 250r 3-wheeler

Please allow me to acknowledge another mistake I made. Green wire does NOT go to starter, it goes to the neutral/reverse indicator switch in the transmission.
    Some good news is, progress continues:
    Carburetor and wiring are done. Last, but not least is sanding the rear fender.

I put that piece of loom over these connectors to not only keep them from continuing to scratch the fender, to keep the mud off, also.
    Something else I luckily found. When I went to rebuild the fuel petcock, the tank to valve seal was shot. When I first searched, it said unavailable-but I didn’t want to believe it, so I called the dealer. Thankfully, he found one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

--
    The loom I put under the steering...bad idea. It was a fraction too big after I mounted the fender, so I used a piece of shrink tube.

--
    Pulled it out to wash the tires before wrapping it up.

--
    I saw your note about the green wire, not sure if these diagrams are accurate, but it looks like the green wire relates to the reverse system, or maybe the wire diagrams are incorrect? Seems to be a lack of info for this machine wiring/electrical wise.

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/content...wiring-diagram

--
    I’ve been riding it around the past few days. Everything works as it should.

Original owner wanted to see it and to see him speechless was worth the effort to me

--
    Holy cow!

That thing IS nice. I'm glad you scooped it up and rehabbed it

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

--
    Looks awesome

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ps2fixer View Post
    I saw your note about the green wire, not sure if these diagrams are accurate, but it looks like the green wire relates to the reverse system, or maybe the wire diagrams are incorrect? Seems to be a lack of info for this machine wiring/electrical wise.

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/content...wiring-diagram
    Yes, I don’t know why I said starter. After I removed the air box and carb, it was right there on the switch. I know I said rev/neu indicator switch because that is what it’s called. There is no neutral light, just high beam and reverse, once I finally read the diagram. So I caught myself being a dum dum more than once.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ironchop View Post
    Holy cow!

That thing IS nice. I'm glad you scooped it up and rehabbed it

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk
    Thanks, I am, too. I can’t believe I even hesitated on this. The thing is so smooth and surprisingly quiet.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Jd110 View Post
    Yes, I don’t know why I said starter. After I removed the air box and carb, it was right there on the switch. I know I said rev/neu indicator switch because that is what it’s called. There is no neutral light, just high beam and reverse, once I finally read the diagram. So I caught myself being a dum dum more than once.

Thanks for confirming that (the wire diagram being correct lol).

--
    Man! That thing looks great! I hope you have many years of enjoyment with it.

--
    Looks great, nice job!!!
    It sucks to get old

tripledog is offline I could be geriatricdog... at my age Got the holeshot
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by Jd110 View Post
    The thing is so smooth and surprisingly quiet.

That's what she said.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ps2fixer View Post
    Thanks for confirming that (the wire diagram being correct lol).
    I appreciate the diagram and your help-always will
    You may have noticed, this machine has the reverse limit setup. He said he bought it that way and never remembered that green wire. But he did remember replacing one crank seal, starter, tail light and a head gasket-pretty good memory, I thought. So, that green wire most likely was added by the dealer back in 86.
    Anyway, I was using a different diagram that shows the reverse light switch open in forward and reverse override switch normally closed. I’m thinking the override is the button on the left hand side of the handlebars. This one doesn’t seem to work. It goes fast in reverse with the button pushed or not.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //