//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 86’ Polaris scrambler 250r 3-wheeler

--

86’ Polaris scrambler 250r 3-wheeler

First time I’ve ever seen one was 2 days ago. Funny thing is, I’ve known the owner for twenty five years. I’ve been at his place atleast a hundred times. He has so much stuff in several buildings that I apparently just over looked it.
    Anyway, this unit is beautiful!! Original rear tires, off-white tank?(appears original w/black crud creeping up), all complete, just a solid unit. He bought it new in ‘86 and told me he turned down an offer from a dealer rep at a grand. He must had known I’ve been into trikes because he had it out when we arrived. He did offer it to me and continued about me ‘needing’ it-haha.
    Unfortunately, he has been in a wheelchair since I met him so, I don’t think it has many hours. What do you guys think? Because my wheels are spinning here. Happy holidays!!!
    He did mention that he replaced the starter a couple years ago, which was the last time it ran.
    This is actually an 85’ model, my mistake.
    Last edited by Jd110; 06-15-2019 at 09:41 AM. Reason: Grammar error

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --
    I love the Scrambler trikes but for $1000 it better be really, really nice.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    There’s one for sale in the 3WWorld shop.
    Cool looking machine.

Do post pics as you work on it.
    I was born and raised on Venus & I may be here a while.....

--
    Quote Originally Posted by fabiodriven View Post
    I love the Scrambler trikes but for $1000 it better be really, really nice.
    Not sure it is really really nice. Plus, as I said, it’s not running, so we got that in our corner-as far as haggling goes.
    I really didn’t want to pick it apart, nor did I take any photos. He mentioned turning down the rep after I asked what his plans were. So I said what would do you want and he said a grand. Well, that could be negotiated but honestly I was thinking that might be fair, so thank you

--
    I don't envy your quest for replacement parts. $5 says the Polaris dealer gets a laugh if you ask.
    I was born and raised on Venus & I may be here a while.....

--
    If it's in good shape, and you want it for that, I say to go for it! I'd like to at least ride one once. Now just because he's in a whee;chair, that doesn't mean that he hasn't ridden it much. I met a guy who used to run a Polaris dealership in Salina, Kansas back in the late 90's. He had polio, but still loved to ride. At that time, Polaris was just about the only thing around with a CVT. He rode a 1997 Scrambler 400 4X4.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    I don't envy your quest for replacement parts. $5 says the Polaris dealer gets a laugh if you ask.
    The quest for entertainment is never ending...I really don’t need it, is the deal here with me. I’m happy and fortunate to have what I do ride and really don’t see this as an improvement. With that said, gets a little sentimental here:
    I went to high school with the owners kids. My wife grew up next door to them and has remained really close. They have no interest in it, but I found out by their kids, the grandkids. I was pulling them in the snow last year on the big red when they mentioned their grandpa had a blue Polaris. They took to the big red red with ease, taking turns pulling each other. At one point they talked about wanting it running. It’s similar to being in the family. So, in that standpoint, I’d like it to be mine, just because it really is nice. Plus, it needs nothing, so the saying goes.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 350for350 View Post
    If it's in good shape, and you want it for that, I say to go for it! I'd like to at least ride one once. Now just because he's in a whee;chair, that doesn't mean that he hasn't ridden it much. I met a guy who used to run a Polaris dealership in Salina, Kansas back in the late 90's. He had polio, but still loved to ride. At that time, Polaris was just about the only thing around with a CVT. He rode a 1997 Scrambler 400 4X4.
    I understand bud. This gentleman is handicapped but by no means unwilling. He is pushing 70 and races three wheeled bicycles and plays in a hockey club. But, I’m certain he hasn’t climbed on this for quite some time.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by glamy View Post
    The one in the shop is $4,350 !...........thats a lot meat on the bones ..........try $500 !
    I did see that one. Thanks! Haven’t seen one with this off-white color gas tank, though.
    Yes, $500. I’m kinda thinking work/trade. I’d bet you have had experience negotiating a deal with friends or family. In my experience it has been either give them what they’re asking or simply don’t buy it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --
    I'm pretty sure the tanks only came in blue, at least I think... If there's white on it, it's likely paint or the tank could be faded or something.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    Quote Originally Posted by fabiodriven View Post
    I'm pretty sure the tanks only came in blue, at least I think... If there's white on it, it's likely paint or the tank could be faded or something.
    I don’t mean to keep rambling about this but I think you’re right. I was just looking at others and they were faded off-white.

This one had what looked like tiny barnacle growing on the tank. At that time I was afraid it was badly oxidized. So, it probably/might have been left outside a number of times, which makes it less nice, in my book.

I should have taken a picture, but I can get one. I’m not going to lead them on with my interest, nor will I let oxidation stop me. I’ll just give it some time right now. Thanks for your insight-always appreciated.

He’s son told me he use to tear around on it and knowing him it was hard. They had a lot of other motorized toys, too. So, I’m not sure why this one survived and was put away. We were there at a party so I wasn’t asking but I like to know the story of how it was kept and ridden, if possible.

--
    Yep, blue it is. I’ll try sanding it back. I’ve got one tank decal and he’s looking for the other.
    It runs good, so I’ll clean it a bit and maybe new tires.

--
    Awesome grab. There was one kinda near me a little while ago, should have picked it up. So many desirable features on it- air cooled, reverse, electric start.

--
    Neat pickup, if you do tear into it, I'd love to see photos =). There was one of these machines near me recently for $1750 on craigslist. Seems a bit steep to me, but then again they are pretty uncommon to run across and I'm personally not a huge fan of the CVT/Belt drive systems. Fine for a snowmobile, but for atvs I prefer gears.

If you do ever tear into it, I'd be interested to see photos of all the wire connectors. I'm sure it would be a horrible product business wise to make, but I wouldn't mind seeing if I can reproduce them. Same thing for the other rare 3 wheelers like the Trigers and such.

Either case, good luck with the machine.

--
    That does look like it's in pretty good shape. It was a nice buy. I wouldn't mind having one just for the uniqueness. It would have to be in fairly good shape though. Parts wouldn't be very easy to find.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //