//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Skinny or fat tire 250sx which is better

--

Skinny or fat tire 250sx which is better

Which would you choose

--
    If you are going with stock height, i wouldn't go wider at all. 1" wider was a mistake on the smaller 200x model. A much heavier tire it seems. They are 4 ply. Will still work for what i use it for, mild riding. Once they wear some it might improve some.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180912_191215.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	1.59 MB 
ID:	256346
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180913_182443.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	1.31 MB 
ID:	256343  
    Last edited by fieldy; 12-29-2018 at 10:48 PM.

--
    I think that if you're leaving the SX front end on it, then you should stick with the 22x11-8 tire. I don't care for the way that the a narrow tire looks on a SX front end. If you want to go with a narrower tire, then you should swap a 200X front end on it too. To me, the disc brake is well worth the swap. I love the way that my 85 SX with a 200X front end and a 23.5x8-11 tire rides, handles, and stops. I won't have much ride time on my other 85 SX with the stock front end until I can get around to replacing the cam chain. I don't have a direct comparison between the two at this time.

BigRedGrizzly is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --

Skinny or fat tire 250sx which is better

I had the narrow tire on my 250SX. I thought it handled better. Turned better.
    Last edited by BigRedGrizzly; 12-30-2018 at 05:00 PM. Reason: Added pic

--
    I think the context of handling is much more effected by tread instead of width. My 250es photoed below steers like garbage while the 250sx steers great. Both are wide tires. My SX has so much grip in loose sand, I can kick the back end all over the place easy. I liked those tires so much I bought one for my 350x as well, and it's steering is the same way as the SX, but it's a narrow tire. If anything the 350x might have a tiny bit less turning grip from less surface area, but the extra power makes up for breaking the rear traction in turns etc. I drive fast and hard, lots of body English etc.

If the context is mud, I think the deepest tread with nice wide spacing will give the best steering. Again, the 250es is crap in snow/mud for steering, it just goes straight sometimes. The sx/350x I've never had that problem except when the front tire is in a root in mud and it doesn't have enough traction to climb out (going away from the wall and back into it generally gets it over it though).

Just my 2 cents, I like lots of traction, so I run more or less mud tires on my 350x, heck I'll throw that pic below from my site too. Not the same 350x as my go to rider, but the rear tires I swapped over.

If you're racing on a dirt track, or racing in general, the lightest tire with enough tread is probably ideal, I'm not much into the racing scene, so not really educated there.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0232.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	266.3 KB 
ID:	256453   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0099[1].jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	116.6 KB 
ID:	256454   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0760.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	247.7 KB 
ID:	256455  

--
    Has anyone ever tried a KENDA K290 SCORPION on the front? Doesn't seem like the best choice for a front tire but it's the only 22X11X8 my guy had in stock...

--
    It should perform about as good as a knobby tire which seem to do pretty good for general use. It won't have super traction, but it won't be as bad as my 250es above lol. Not sure what kind of terrain is up in Canada though besides snow though.

--
    Imagine Michigan, except cleaner :P (just jokin' of course, I love Michigan)

--
    We have like everything here, except rocks and red clay like Indiana, Kentucky and such. My area is mainly sand with a little gray clay mixed in. No major hills here sadly, they are a blast to ride on down south. I rode a 200es with a knobby fat front tire and it did great in my area.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //