//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: A third SX in the stable

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --

A third SX in the stable

I've had my 86 SX for years now, it's been my go to bike for just about any occasion. We also just got the 87 SX together and going, although it still needs some fine tuning.

Today we've rounded out the group with the acquisition of an 85 SX with gigantic rear wheels. It was cheap, a very good deal. The seller was sick of Craigslist bozos giving him the run around for the four or five days it was listed.

I saw the ad today, called the number, said "I can be there at X:XX and I will bring $XXX.xx in cash." The seller said "OK, my address is (whatever). See you at X:XX." Pretty simple. I don't understand what the problem is with people giving sellers such a hard time during sales like this. I got this machine for cheap, and all I did was offer and show up with cash.

There was actually a buyer there to look at this machine two days before me and somehow they didn't even make an offer! Now, I get it. There's an arse for every seat, but when you walk away from a machine that has a Hondaline speedometer and a Clarke tank without even making an offer, you just don't know what you're looking it.

The sale of this speedometer (Hondaline ATC speedometer for sale!) will cover the cost of this machine.

I can't dig into this machine until I put my 650 back together, and I just ripped that apart yesterday. I find that unfortunate because I'd rather work on this SX right meow, but it's not going anywhere. I'll get some better pictures as I work on it. It's hilarious with the gigantic Carlisle meats on the back, lol! Both lower fork cartridges are what appears to be burst? I'll get pictures of that. The aluminum is cracked right open on both forks. I'm pretty sure I know why that is, but I've never seen this happen before. Any guesses?

It's getting settled in.

Last edited by fabiodriven; 12-31-2018 at 12:35 AM.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    Burst forks? Can’t see the damage much in the pics, but if the damage is outward I’m going with water freezing.
    It sucks to get old

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --

A third SX in the stable

Correct Nico! Makes sense to me! Poor Shep missed out on this one too, sorry Shep! But in my defense he had the ad two days before I did! I hope you still love me Shep!

This will end up being a great backup machine and a loaner once it's done. Since I got rid of my DR I haven't had a loaner to offer people to see the mountains, or any other places where it's feasible for me to haul a machine in and then have someone fly in to ride it. You could end up riding this for a day or multiple days at some point Nico, you never know.
    Last edited by fabiodriven; 12-31-2018 at 01:03 AM.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    Nice score on the speedometer, looks like it's in good shape. Also good score on the machine, looks complete, so minor work, swap the forks out and it will probably be a nice rider. I paid $200 for one with a bad rear end (splines to axles rusted out), and it had a wrist pin knock. Swapped in an engine from a $250 parts machine, and bought a $100 250es rear swing arm (axle + diff, hubs and drive shaft) and it was good to go with the ugly broken up plastics.

The 250sx is my 2nd favorite machine, right after the 350x. It's a very good all around machine for basically anything and super reliable with shaft drive (except when it fails lol, have to keep an eye on fluids, and fluids it shouldn't have).

--
    Hay nice score ! Fabiodriven would you have a extra rightside footpeg for a 85 250sx ? It has the bigger bracket for the brakes. Thank you JW
    * 1970 US90 Red
    * 1978 ATC 90/180 Helm&Son, Bandito /3D springer. ( Spaghetti Winder )
    * 1978 ATC 90/128 Bandito / Ace Williams Springer.
    * 1980 ATC 110/ ? Helm&Son, Dickson Full Suspended
    * 1981 ATC 110 MTC Full Supended
    * 1985 ATC 200s
    *1986 ATC 250R/310 2"+ Westcoast Swinger

http://www.ebay.com/usr/jwheeler760

--
    Quote Originally Posted by fabiodriven View Post
    You could end up riding this for a day or multiple days at some point Nico, you never know.
    Hum... tempting... those big boots would help make my azz look smaller...
    It sucks to get old

--

A third SX in the stable

Quote Originally Posted by Jwheeler View Post
    Hay nice score ! Fabiodriven would you have a extra rightside footpeg for a 85 250sx ? It has the bigger bracket for the brakes. Thank you JW
    I have to look anyways because the right peg and bracket on this 85 have taken a hit. I'm planning on straightening them but I'm curious if I have extras anyways.

I have to ask; So many of these used trikes I get have foot pegs that look like they just got back from their fourth tour in 'Nam. Now, we ride in some really rough, aggressive, and physically hard terrain (rocks and ledge). In 30 years of riding I have never managed to turn a foot peg into a pretzel. They don't even touch anything other than my feet! I don't understand what people do to these foot pegs.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--

A third SX in the stable

He's just a regular guy Glamy, give him a break! He may be a shape shifting alien, but at least he's not a CIA agent! Or is he?
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    Shep had his chance!
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    Its all good, I’m glad someone here got it. I have to finish some projects before I start another. Yup that bike was maybe 20mins from me, I’ll find another when the time is right. Trying to fight off a nasty cold at the moment.

Shep
    Ps- the wife says I’m grouchy when I’m sick so I better go back to lurking

--
    Hell hath no fury like a Shep scorned.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    Yup, you definitely found an idiot seller

I wish I had listened to you way back when about the NH trail rides. The SX with the right tires is made EXACTLY for that type of riding. I had it stuck in my head that the "best suspension" would be favorable; Nope, not true at all, you need to run big bouncy tire aired up correctly...

Regardless, awesome score, the SX was the 1st trike I bought as an old man. As I get older, I think I will gravitate towards the ATC70 and the SX because they are just pure fun, no kicking the motors over until your out of breath...

There's 2 86 200X's on CL right now, been there a week now, but they are both JUNK JUNK JUNK!! I can't even buy them to part them out, and the seller keeps saying FIRM FIRM FIRM!!

Oh well, "ride on young blood!!"...
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

--
    Just so it's clear because I never actually said it, but there is no way I'm keeping these 25's on this machine, lol! They look absolutely absurd.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    I've ran 25's on my sx for a bit, my cousin had my 22's on his machine and he was taking his time getting them back to me. Besides looking funny, the machine performed pretty well still, of course slower acceleration as expected from ~10% higher gearing.

--
    Nice score! Also nice shop!
    1985 Honda ATC 250ES
    1985 Honda ATC 250SX
    1984 Honda ATC 200M
    1983 Honda ATC 200
    1984 Honda ATC 110

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //