//ArrowChat Code

Thread: New tires for 125M and 185s

--

New tires for 125M and 185s

Good morning everyone,

I want to fit new tires on my 1985 125M and 1983 185s. Currently the 125M (which I just purchased) has the original Ohtsu's and I'd love to run these, but they have flat spots in them and run really lumpy - essentially they are not ride able in their current state. My assumption is that they were let to go flat and then set for some time. Is there any way to fix flat spots?

Assuming no, here are the things I am looking for in new tires for these rigid (125M) and hardtail (185s) trikes. I want something that has good performance in terms of traction, but also I need compliance. I bought some Kenda Klaw XC's and now looking at it, at 20.49 Lbs for the 22x11x8 size they aren't very light. However, the main reason why I need to change these out is that they are very stiff and non compliant. Being 6 ply, it seems as though they were made with a full suspension ATV in mind. I was looking at the Kenda Scorpion and it is 2 ply, but at 19.19 lbs seems also a bit heavy, and I can recall a member who has a 350X stating he did not like these - however a good tire for a 350x might be much different than one for a 185s or 125M.

I have been considering the Carlisle dimpled knobby which is apparently 3 Ply? and for a 22x11x8, it has a manufacturers claimed weight of 13.7 lbs.

https://www.carlislebrandtires.com/o...uctname/knobby

I was also looking at the Cheng Shin C829 which is listed as a 2 ply but a radial which I would think would be less compliant? But the weight is listed as 14.0 Lbs so seems good.

https://www.denniskirk.com/cheng-shi....prd/54772.sku

Has anyone used either of these for a non suspended 3 wheeler rear application? If so, can you comment on how they perform in terms of traction and compliance? I live in the Southwest, so mud performance is a lesser consideration.

Do any of you have any other tire suggestions which would be worth considering?

I am using a Kenda Front Max on the 185s currently and it seems to be working well, so I think that I am more looking for rear tires.

Thanks!

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --
    Cheng Shin is your absolute best bet for ATC 2-ply 22" and 25" balloon tires. The best part is, they're also cheaper than any other brand, but that's not why we buy them. We buy them because they have the right shape (balloon), give (they are half my suspension on the 250SX and all of your suspension on the little bikes), and traction (closest available tread to OEM).

The 829 Cheng Shin Knobbie is the perfect aftermarket ATC balloon tire, as well as the 827. The 827 has bigger knobs so the 827 matches the OEM Ohtsu Pro-Vector, which came on the SX, so closely it's impressive. As an ATC owner who needs to run balloons, the Cheng Shin tire company is a godsend.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    I built this 90/110 hybrid with the Cheng Shin 828s on the rear and 829 on the front. I really liked them. Nice and soft and light and squishy like balloon tires on a hard tail should be.

Some day I'll build a 185s (my first ATC was an 82 185s in 1982) and it will get Cheng Shins.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ATC90NEW_3.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	7.3 KB 
ID:	256406Click image for larger version. 

Name:	first.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	8.7 KB 
ID:	256407

--
    Thanks for the info fabiodriven and jb2wheels. jb2wheels, that is a nice looking 90/110 hybrid. It's nice to know that I was headed in the right direction with my thought process on the matter.

If I may ask, what type of trails do/did you both ride with the balloon tires, and what air pressures would you run in the Cheng shins's?

Regards,

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --

New tires for 125M and 185s

I ride mostly NH mountains, as rocky as you can possibly get. With four or six ply tires, or with smaller profile tires, you feel every single rock, and so does the machine. The balloons are key for us. I run mine around 4 psi +/- but some of the less aggressive Big Red guys (25" tires) run around 1 psi. They're more concerned with traction in snow and mud and a smooth ride rather than speed and handling. I ride fast and aggressive so I need more than 1 psi.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    You can't go wrong with the recommended 2 ply tires. Radial is much better than bias ply.

There is now way to make a hardtail handle corners and ride well. It's a compromise. The 2 ply knobbie tires have more traction than most believe and they ride like a hard tail needs. lt take a hell of a lot of 'manhandling' to make a hardtail round a corner. These trikes aren't for weaklings, they ride like crap and take a lot of effort to keep under control at speed. They're a blast, but at speed, you have to be a beast to keep them under control. Anything over a 2ply knobbie means a lot of spine ing riding.
    The story of three wheels and a man...

--
    Another thing to consider about the Kenda Scorpions is that a lot of guys on here say that even though they claim a 22" height, they're about 20.5" when aired up. I prefer the extra ground clearance. Even though it's only 3/4" more, it can make a difference. Fabio, thanks for the vote for the c827's on a SX. I've been considering them on the back of my SX. The Mud Lites on there are starting to feel like too stiff of a ride. I will be purchasing three c829s for my 250ES soon. I usually run about 2.5 PSI in mine since that's as low as my gauge goes. Would you reconnemd 4 PSI for really rocky terrain? I'm planning to take them to Colorado this summer and don't want tire issues.

--
    I'll double check my exact psi as it is right now and post back because I know they're near 4 but I'm not exactly positive where they are.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    Thanks. I'll have to remember to air up a little bit this summer.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //