//ArrowChat Code
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Big red 200 motor upgrades?

MN250R is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by ps2fixer View Post
    Yea 100psi is low, but not so low it won't run. I tried to find a spec, but I guess biggs engines don't have a PSI rating because it requires special equipment, so they say flywheel kick back is their compression test. Anyway here's a random thread of a guy at 60psi with a running engine and it seems like all the replies are like ignore the compression it's normal. Those briggs engines are only like 6.5:1 compression ratio lol.

https://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=151221
    Thanks! I will check it out
    1986 ATC 350X
    1986 ATC Big Red 250ES

MN250R is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    I just bought an OTC cylinder leak down tester. It should help me pin point the problem even better. But most likely i will upgrade to a wiseco 10.25.1 piston and an xr200 cam.
    1986 ATC 350X
    1986 ATC Big Red 250ES

--
    I wish someone made a TRUE big bore cylinder for the 200 engine. Wouldn't be that big a deal to set the case halves (together) in a bridgeport and bore it to accept a larger sleeve. They do it to VW air cooled engines all the time.
    I was born and raised on Venus & I may be here a while.....

--
    Quote Originally Posted by glamy View Post
    Can we hang out ........later Gabe.........Gabe
    Said it once before but it bears repeating; You are one different colored duck brother.
    I was born and raised on Venus & I may be here a while.....

--

More questions :)

I see the XR 200 cams say midrange. Would installing that take away from the low end torque on the 200es with the stock cam? Since im going with the 10.25.1 Wiseco piston
    Also, If i were to go with an XR200 cam, would i need to replace the camshaft bushing and thrust washer if mine are still in good shape? Sorry for all the questions
    1986 ATC 350X
    1986 ATC Big Red 250ES

Scootertrash is offline Just Too Addicted: Protecting Our Community The day begins with 3WW
    --
    I put an XR200 Cam and carb on my 200S and it woke it up nicely. I also added a SuperTrapp exhaust that took many hours of searching and waiting on ebay to find, still needs to be fine tuned after I saw a tuning sheet from Supertrapp for the XR200, I need to add some discs and rejet. My buddies with stock 185's and 200's can't touch me

I really doubt you'll lose much on the low end, at least not enough to worry about. You have a hi/lo gear range correct? if so, I wouldn't worry about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by fabiodriven View Post
    Trick the people into thinking they're enacting their own will and you have willing slaves.

Liberalism suspends the intellect of its victims, while at the same time tricking them into believing that they're smarter than everyone else.

If we've done business together, please leave me feedback. Thank You!:

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...t=Scootertrash

--
    I also think that the higher compression piston will help with bottom end torque too.

--
    Of my understanding, higher compression is basically making the piston engine more mechanically efficient, but I can't remember what the negative trade-off was. This was more in a sense of car engines, but high compression is great for take offs mpg wise, but horrible for light cruising, low compression is slower take offs but better overall mpg. Pretty sure higher compression increases power overall so even with a higher rpm tuned cam, upping the compression can offset the low end losses.

--
    Awesome thanks for the help everyone!
    1986 ATC 350X
    1986 ATC Big Red 250ES

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //