//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Purchased a YTM225DXN need some help

--

Purchased a YTM225DXN need some help

Hi I recently picked up a 1985 YTM225DXN in pretty good shape from Craigslist. New tires, plastic in pretty good shape (was missing gas tank covers) missing a few odds and ends. Carb was very dirty from setting with old gas for 1.5 years or more. Cleaned the carbs and it fires right up and idles good. I will probably be posting questions here as they arise. The first being one about the carburetor. As I know the previous owner patched things up instead of fixing them i am not sure about some things on it. On my carburetor on the top there is a gas line coming from the petcock and it goes to the carburetor. There is another place right beside it to hook another line to, but nothing is there. No gas has leaked out of it, but not sure where it hooks. I can’t find a reference in any of the manuals. It looks like it could be an over flow or something. Just trying to make sure. It is also missing the gas line that comes off the gas cap. I am not sure how long this line should be. Is 18 inches about right? Also I need some new handlebar grips, are they 7/8? Or 1inch? Sorry I don’t have the 3 wheeler near me it is at the farm, an hour away. I work on it a little order parts then think of things I need to check. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

--
    The hose on top of the gas tank cap isn't too critical, it's just a vent, the idea is to route it up near the handle bars, so typical riding the gas can't slosh out.

I'm not super great with the Yamaha machines, but carbs typically have a fuel supply, float bowl vent, and a drain port. My guess would be the extra port would be the vent. If the float sicks open, it would also be the "over flow" lol.

The Honda machines are 7/8in. Not sure if you like the Honda style grips, but they are like $3 per side from Honda, just look them up for a newer TRX model or let me know and I can link you.

Here's a diagram of the carb, not the greatest one in the world, but looks like a "pipe" goes on one of the ports. Maybe the service manual has more info on that.

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/ya...dxn/carburetor

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ps2fixer View Post
    The hose on top of the gas tank cap isn't too critical, it's just a vent, the idea is to route it up near the handle bars, so typical riding the gas can't slosh out.

I'm not super great with the Yamaha machines, but carbs typically have a fuel supply, float bowl vent, and a drain port. My guess would be the extra port would be the vent. If the float sicks open, it would also be the "over flow" lol.

The Honda machines are 7/8in. Not sure if you like the Honda style grips, but they are like $3 per side from Honda, just look them up for a newer TRX model or let me know and I can link you.

Here's a diagram of the carb, not the greatest one in the world, but looks like a "pipe" goes on one of the ports. Maybe the service manual has more info on that.

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/ya...dxn/carburetor
    Thanks. I’ll check out those Honda grips. I am not picky about the grips right now it is just wrapped with tape. Thanks for the link, I have seen that one, and I have checked all the service manuals I could find. I never see it mentioned in any of them. I will assume for now it is a vent. I wasn’t sure if it was supposed to get a hose to direct gas away from the engine Incase of the float sticking.

--
    Yea I'd assume it would be a hose just heading down. It's pretty easy to check if it's a vent if you have the carb apart, just check where the hole comes out. If it's near the top of the flow bowl area, it's a vent.

--
    Most carbs have two of those you described. One on the side and one on the bottom. The side is a vent and the bottom is a drain. You really oughta get the appropriate size hose and route them both away from the engine. Should the float ever get stuck, gas is coming out that vent line. Running out on a hot engine is never fun. The bottom line lets you drain the carb bowl without removing the carb. Handy if you're storing it for an extended period or if you're about to take the carb off. After you have gas run out on your britches a couple times, you'll thank the Japs for putting that drain on there. I know I have!!!
    I was born and raised on Venus & I may be here a while.....

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    Most carbs have two of those you described. One on the side and one on the bottom. The side is a vent and the bottom is a drain. You really oughta get the appropriate size hose and route them both away from the engine. Should the float ever get stuck, gas is coming out that vent line. Running out on a hot engine is never fun. The bottom line lets you drain the carb bowl without removing the carb. Handy if you're storing it for an extended period or if you're about to take the carb off. After you have gas run out on your britches a couple times, you'll thank the Japs for putting that drain on there. I know I have!!!
    Thanks. I put a line on the bottom one. it was listed in the repair manuals as a drain, and a way to check the float level. I wasn't sure about the top one. I also didn't know if it is supposed to have a hose to rout it away from the engine. I will put one on it too. thanks

--
    Ok I found something else broken on my three wheeler.

Not sure about the cable but I know I need items 8 and 9 from that diagram. Item 7 is this.

What is this used for anyway, it says cable, starter. The 3 wheeler starts now though. Not sure what this is used for and if I should worry about it. Thanks

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --
    That's your choke and you need it for cold starting.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    Ok good to know. I guess I have been lucky it has been starting easy. Thanks for the help!

--
    Also side note, part #7 is #8+#9. 8 is the cable assembly and such, 9 is the pin thing that holds the choke lever on, so 7 is the whole assembly. It seems that cable is common, the two Moto4's I have also have the same setup for choke. I suspect since the partzilla image is of the actual part, it's still available.

--
    Thx I figured that was the case. I purchased item 8 and 9 together for $7.95 free shipping. Next time I get up there I will check the choke cable and hope it is fine. If not I will order one of those too, and have a spare of the other 2 parts.

--
    I called my dad. The trike is in his shop on the farm. I asked him to check the choke cable. He said it is fine you can pull it and it works, the lever is just broken off.

--
    I just revived an '86 moto 4 225. Lots of stuff was still available from yamaha, like float bowl gaskets, jets, and needle valve assemblies. Not so much with transmission gears tho. Ebay to the rescue! Now I just need to figure out why the dang clutch seems to be dragging....

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //