//ArrowChat Code

Thread: New member with 1984 ATC 200S questions

--

New member with 1984 ATC 200S questions

Hey guys,
    Just joined. Been searching around for a few days. No doubt that it looks like this is THE place for 3 wheeler info.
    I just picked up a 1984 Honda ATC 200S. First time owner although I had a friend 30 years ago who had a 110. So its been a good long time since I messed with one of these machines. Runs and shifts strong, new tires, brakes good, some cracked plastic. Will use drill and ziptie method for that.
    Anyways, I have some fairly basic questions.

1) Previous owner put on a new DG exhaust and "chinese" carb which he rejetted. Runs fine, but he removed the stock airbox and added a little cone style filter. Anyone use these? Do u recommend I stick with the Oem airbox/filter? He gave me the oem airbox, carb, and exhaust so I have them.
    2) Getting a moisture leak where head pipe meets the muffler. Not excessive, but enough to bother me. Should exhaust tape be ok for this?
    3) Missing the decompression cable so pull rope can be challenging. Not hard to pull, but just gets stuck sometimes. Is there any "trick" or proper steps to this or do I need the cable?
    I guess thats it for now. Thnx for any advice!
    Btw, just downloaded the service manual. Thnx 3 wheeler world!!!

--
    1- Those filters suck. The factory airbox is what needs to be there. Me personally, I have NEVER been able to get one to run right without that airbox. Not only does it keep water and mud out of the system, it creates restriction which essentially 'chokes' the carb a little and they tend to run lean when removed. If the previous owner jetted the carb to run with the cone filter then more than likely it will need to be done again with the airbox. YMMV.

2-Don't see why not.

3-The 200s decompression won't work without the cable. If the pull rope housing is in good order, I'd get the cable and put it back the way it goes. If not, if it were me, I'd pull it and install a manual style lever. It's not that involved and if it were MINE, that's what "I" would do. One bolt on top of the valve cover and it should slide right out. Just mind the spring orientation when you put it back together.
    Someone around here probably has a spare one laying around. I have a couple but they are for future builds.

Good luck and welcome to the forum!!
    Last edited by Gabriel; 01-07-2019 at 02:04 PM.
    I was born and raised on Venus & I may be here a while.....

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --

New member with 1984 ATC 200S questions

The pod filter you have can be OK for just general riding around, but if you get into mud or even puddles, it can easily become a problem. The OEM airbox routes fresh air through the frame of the bike, and therefore you can really get these things deep in the water and they'll be OK if you use it. If you're just cruising around the pod filter will work. Any serious riding and it could become an issue.

The hole in the pipe isn't a big deal. You could touch it really quick with a welding machine, or possibly braze or solder it. Exhaust wrap would work as well.

As far as the compression release, I'd recommend fixing it.

Edit- Gabriel and I were posting at the same time. Nice post Gabriel!
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    Thnx guys
    I already took that cone filter off and replaced the stock box right after posting. Just didnt feel right about it.
    Ill look into picking up that cable too. Or go with the manual one as suggested. Thnx!

--
    You can get that cable on Ebay for like nine bucks with free shipping. You can't get a 12 pack for that.

Before I ordered the cable I would take the pull rope cover apart and make absolutely sure that all the needed parts are in there. They get removed often and lost to the sands of time. The decompression parts in the pull rope cover are not really needed to operate the pull rope and sometimes bubba shade tree mechanic will toss them when the cable fails. If the parts are missing it may be more cost effective to source a manual lever and use that. Just be sure to get something over the cable hole on the pull rope cover to keep mud and crap from getting into your pull rope mechanism. A strip of gorilla tape would be better than nothing but the last one I did, I carved a piece of rubber to be a press fit and forced it in place. I cut a square out of a run flat tire sidewall (very tough stuff!) forced it in and then used a sanding disk the smooth the outside up. Actually looked like it belonged there when i was done.
    I was born and raised on Venus & I may be here a while.....

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //