//ArrowChat Code

Thread: 185s compression

--

185s compression

Ok you know the story, It ran when parked....... I have an 83 185s that I bought running years ago (how many? 6-10? you pick, cant remember) Parked it right away because of bad rear bearings. Fast forward to now. The 12 year old wanted to get it going. We went through fuel system, cleaned tank, new petcock, new fuel line, rebuilt carb, cleaned air filter. Has good spark and tried multiple plugs including new. No start, not even a pop. primed carb, nothing, primed cylinder, nothing. Check compression 120 cold. Book says 156+- 14. Is 120 enough to start and run? I know 2 stroke will run at that.
    Trikes: Cagiva 200, 85? Tiger 250,(2)84 200x's , (3)86 200x's, 87 200x, (5)85 350x's, (2)86 350x's, (2)85 250r's, 86 Tecate, (3) 85 250sx's Restoring: 83 200x, 86 250sx. Too many utility trikes to list.

--
    Yea 120psi is enough to run, the book specs I'm pretty sure are hot numbers anyway (more leakage when it's cold).

Since you know it ran before and you're seeing spark, I'd assume the ignition/timing is spot on, so I'd still be targeting fuel delivery or carb issues. There's a lot of ways to "bypass" the carb, whatever way you want to use, give it a shot. Some people put a little gas down the spark plug hole, when possible in the carb. I personally like to use a LP portable torch (unlit of course), it gives enough LP for it to run on, but it can't do much more than idle on it. It's just to test if compression/spark is good enough to run on LP. If you're unsure about the LP tank and the possible back fire, don't try my method. Never had problems personally, but I suspect it's possible a backfire could light it.

Another thing you could check is under the CDI cover on the head. The pulse generator is there, and it's mechanically advanced for ignition timing. Make sure the springs are good and it's overall clean and smooth working. There's new springs on the 3ww shop if you need them.

--
    120 is certainly enough to run. It's gotta be something simple.

Shame on me for trying to sell outside the classifieds but I just found a brand new in the box, piston and rings for a stock bore 185 if you deice to tear it down anyway. LOL!!!!
    I was born and raised on Venus & I may be here a while.....

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //