//ArrowChat Code

Thread: New to the site

--

New to the site

im new to the site and new to the trike scene

I just recently picked up a 1984 Yamaha 225dx

I do not know how long it has been sitting but from the amount of dust sitting on top of it it has been sitting in a garage for some time not a barn
    therefore it has been kept out of the weather but has been collecting dust

I am wanting to get this thing running and am not sure what I need to pay attention to
    I do know however that the electric start does not work at the moment and also it appears that the tank and carb were drained before it sat

I took the carb apart and it was relatively clean and so I cleaned it inspected it cleaned it inspected it and cleaned it again and it looks like new

it has a new plug it has spark it has a clean carb but it doesn't not fire so I need some input

thanks in advanced

--
    You should do a compression test before pulling out much of your hair.
    Compression test kits are cheap on amazon. Find the specs for your engine and see what you're getting. If the rings and or valves are shot, you're wasting time you could be putting into a tear down.

If compression is good and you know you're getting fuel (wet plug) it may not be firing under compression. I've seen brand new plugs do this. It could also be an ignition issue. Seeing spark doesn't always mean it's strong enough to run. Moving on from those, you head into timing issues.

Good luck, keep these machines alive!!!
    I was born and raised on Venus & I may be here a while.....

--
    checking out the valve clearances today

--
    adjusted the valves and this thing does indeed run again but here is the kicker it only runs after starting it with starter fluid but will stay running as long as the throttle is pressed a little.... the carb is as clean as a whistle so im guessing it needs some adjusting

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //