//ArrowChat Code

Thread: 350x Goki shifting trouble

--

350x Goki shifting trouble

My 85 350X has a Goki electric start kit. When I torque all the cover bolts the shifter binds. With the bolts loose it works perfectly. It seems to be the bolt right by the shift shaft that is the culprit. The seal doesn't seem tight. It will still shift but will stick up or down and takes help with a boot to return. It's been this way from day one. It returns fine with the bolts loose. Has anybody encountered this? Should I shave a bit of material from the seal? Thanks in advance.

Scootertrash is offline Just Too Addicted: Protecting Our Community The day begins with 3WW
    --
    Are you using a factory manual to make sure you reassembling everything properly?

No, you shouldn't shave anything off of the seal. Is the seal in the case to the proper depth? Is the seal in backwards?

Are you sure everything is assembled correctly? Are any thrust washers in their proper places? Did you install the cover gasket or did you assume you could just slobber it up with silicone?
    Quote Originally Posted by fabiodriven View Post
    Trick the people into thinking they're enacting their own will and you have willing slaves.

Liberalism suspends the intellect of its victims, while at the same time tricking them into believing that they're smarter than everyone else.

If we've done business together, please leave me feedback. Thank You!:

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...t=Scootertrash

--
    I've had no shifter problems after installing the Goki.
    YAMAHA 450 HYBRID
    85 350X- RED
    85 350x -BLACK
    86 350x-WHITE (with Goki)
    85 250r
    83 atc 70
    84 atc 70
    84 atc 110
    09 yfz 450
    2006 Arctic Cat Prowler
    RZR XP 900

--
    I've got the factory manual, everything appears to be correct but I'll triple check everything before re assembly. Thank you.

--
    I've always been able to figure things like this out. With industrial high speed machinery, this is a common occurrence.

Normally these issues started after something else was repaired or broken.

You have to have a FULL understanding of how, (whatever it is), it works. Then start loosening things until you find the issue.

It's usually the thrust movement that now binds up, and it can be as easy as too long of a bolt, or a worn part you are missing.

You should find some shiny areas, or something that should have a 90 degree end, but it's mushroomed over, or scratching somewhere and you will find something shiny or worn.

I've used Dykem (blue machinist dye) and or grease on things, reassembled and then taken back apart after a few turns/rotations and it should show you something, somewhere.

If you could post up all the pictures of the parts so we can see how it works, it will be easier to send you in a general direction.

With this, you had better figure it out because I don't think you can get any parts for the Goki...
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

--
    Only thing I can think of off the top of my head (and this 350x bottom end sitting here) is the little washer/bushing thing the shifter arm uses to shift the shift drum. If it's on backwards it would make the shaft stick out further than normal.

I'd assume the shift drum ratchet system is untouched, but I guess maybe that's another spot that could have the shaft sticking up too far, but I'd think it wouldn't shift correctly too.

Here's a diagram of the shifter system and the order it is assembled. Note that #10 is the last item on the shift drum area, then #18, 31,25 and 19 are inline for #18.

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/ho...x-a/shift-drum

Here's a photo of one correctly assembled to show how tight things are together, maybe you'll see a difference with yours.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20190117_142511_698.jpg  

--
    Next time you have the Goki cover off, make sure one of the alignment dowels didn't fall out of the cover or the case.
    YAMAHA 450 HYBRID
    85 350X- RED
    85 350x -BLACK
    86 350x-WHITE (with Goki)
    85 250r
    83 atc 70
    84 atc 70
    84 atc 110
    09 yfz 450
    2006 Arctic Cat Prowler
    RZR XP 900

--
    Thanks for the input everyone. Its currently apart and I will post pics up as I have time. Its a low hour machine and the Goki was bought brand new right before they closed. Everything looks to be installed 100% correctly, nothing appears to be worn. If I back off a few of the case cover bolts just slightly it performs flawlessly. I am wondering if the order of tightening will have anything to do with it? Perhaps the Goki part was just machined slightly off?

--
    Not the best route, but in theory you could run 2 side cover gaskets to give it a tiny bit more gap, but it shouldn't be binding in the first place. There isn't much there to check over. If all is good I suspect the Goki side cover could be machined slightly off. I've never research the kit much so I'm not sure if that's a common problem or not. I just know the electrical side of it well since the Goki stuff seems to have pretty low quality electronics, mainly the wiring/crimps from what I saw in pics. Just about every kit I see has replacement battery cables installed, I suspect there's a reason for that.

--
    I read somewhere a ways back about somebody with the same issue I'm having with a Goki cover. I haven't has a battery in it in some time and i really don't use it. It was for my Father who has Parkinson's disease and couldn't start it when he rode it. I don't mind keeping it on the trike but I would like it shift well. Thanks for the input.

Scootertrash is offline Just Too Addicted: Protecting Our Community The day begins with 3WW
    --
    Let's start at the beginning so we have all the info:

Did you purchase the machine with the Goki on it or did you install it?

If the Goki was on the machine, was it ridden at all?

If the Goki wasn't on the machine was it ridden at all?

Do you have the gasket for the cover? Is it a new gasket?

Do you have all of the screws in their proper locations? If you have a short screw where there should be a long screw, see what I'm sayin?

To repeat what Dirtcrasher said: Can you see any marks on the inside of the cover where the shifter or one of its parts is rubbing on the cover?

The main thing when troubleshooting any issue is K.I.S.S.: Keep It Simple Stupid (no insult intended) Start with the simple things and retrace you steps. You'd be amazed at how easy it is to think you've done everything right....... Until you go back, carefully retrace your steps, and find out you missed or forgot something.

I've been wrenching for about 45 years, I still make mistakes. A lot less than I used, but still.......
    Quote Originally Posted by fabiodriven View Post
    Trick the people into thinking they're enacting their own will and you have willing slaves.

Liberalism suspends the intellect of its victims, while at the same time tricking them into believing that they're smarter than everyone else.

If we've done business together, please leave me feedback. Thank You!:

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...t=Scootertrash

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //