//ArrowChat Code
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Any ideas of a small simple part to reproduce? (3D CAD Plastic/Rubber Parts)

--
    There is a cdi holder and a coil holder and a shock flap that protects the 86 200x shock dial, all simple rubber pieces.
    Then the 86,87 tecate rubber radiator mount grommets, think there are 11each on the 86 and 87 Tecates. And some square rubber pieces for under seat area on those also. Tecate motor mounts and Tecate seat pans. Think all seat pans would be a high return item.Seat pans are large but maybe piece them together somehow.

--
    Seat pans would be a big hard to recreate in cad, not sure how I'd get the angles/curved surfaces just right. When I make a part drawing, I start with the hard specs, diameter, mounting locations, etc and build off that. I'm guessing the seat pans would be pretty expensive to make in low volume, but I haven't made anything large yet to test that theory. That reminds me though, there is a Honda machine with a metal seat pan that is almost always rusted out, so I'm sure there's a high demand for that too. Think it was like a ATC200E or something.

86 200x CDI holder is still available - https://www.partzilla.com/product/ho...075567c70f9c55

86 200x Coil holder isn't though. It fits a lot of machines so might be a viable option to start with - https://www.partzilla.com/product/ho...075567c70f9c55

If I got the right part, looks like the 86-87 tecate rubber radiator grommets are still in production too - https://www.partzilla.com/product/ka...81635a7c9f40bd

Also looks like the squared off rubber seat dampener is in production too - https://www.partzilla.com/product/ka...c57cf1327de363

I ran though the options for that rubber tank mount I showed in my last post, and they are not cheap to make as a rubber style part. Not sure why it's so expensive, like I'd have to sell them for $80+ each. Hard plastics are much cheaper, and nylon could be an option for a tiny bit like rubber part (it's soft but not that soft), nylon would work for the tank mounts, some grommets and such, but anything it's pulled though like the 350x fender bumper wouldn't work.

Another fun idea on all of this, I could create a "master" part out of a metal though this company and have someone mold it and duplicate it. The metal part would be the master template. Could also have it made in plastic but machined instead of 3d printed. It's not cheap to make a master that way, but ideally it should last a life time and I could make changes to the design as needed.

I need to cad up some sort of simple part that's not in production, and see if I can get a quote from a Chinese manufacturer. The one I've been poking around with is USA based, but the perk is their instant quotes for most things vs manual quotes. Wouldn't mind trying a hard plastic part + a rubber part to see what prices look like. I suspect they'd be a lot cheaper, but fit and finish might be sub par and they might steal my designs and resell them through Chinese whole sellers stealing my business and undercutting my prices since they have no time involved researching/making the cad drawing etc.

Another part idea I thought of is for the guys with the ATC250ES, 250SX, and TRX250 (and a couple others) with the huge ignition switch. It might be possible to make an adapter to make the small common ignition switch fit in those machine's dashes. Like the ATC250SX ignition switch I sell is a Honda one I modify, so it's expensive to replace. With this adapter I could sell them for the same price as my other switches (Chinese) + the adapter price.

I have so many random ideas floating around in my head, wish it wasn't so much of a cost risk to have some of these things made. Maybe the Chinese option will be good to test the market, and if there's a high demand, make it better quality via a USA or Taiwan company.

I wouldn't mind getting into the pour molding stuff too, but I need to clear out my storage room first and set it up for storage for my business and such, which means I need to get more used parts sold that I don't need lol. Maybe in the next year or two I can save up enough funds to build a pole barn to move a ton of stuff into and maybe even have a work shop out there.

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --
    I appreciate anyone who makes these obsolete plastic parts greatly. It has been a game changer in our community. In 2005 there was a lot of stuff discontinued already, and those parts became unobtainium. There was nothing anyone could do when they needed these obsolete items! There are so many things you guys make now that I can't even keep track of them all, it's amazing!

I don't know how those taillight pins are available, I literally just checked for those last week. I must have made a mistake.

Does anyone make the clutch adjustment cap for the SX's?

#19 in the picture

85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    I have a feeling it would be hard to remove from the mold, or the mold wouldn't last long. Not sure how Honda mass produced them with that groove in them. I could make the 3d cad drawing for it no problem, might even have one floating around. That reminds me of another part for the same machine and the 250es, the swing arm covers (chrome/black ones). They are more or less hard plastic so that might be a solid thing for me to have printed off. Not sure if there would be enough demand for them though. Again, if I make the 3d drawing, I can send it off to be 3d printed or have a master made at any time, so no reason not to make the model. I'm learning a new skill in the process =).

Hmm, now I'm getting caught on parts in production?! I swear these were out of production before. Maybe Honda is bring back some parts?

Black Swing arm cap - https://www.partzilla.com/product/ho...76508f355515e0
    Chrome Swing arm cap - https://www.partzilla.com/product/ho...76508f355515e0

There's another cap on the ATC90, can't remember exactly where it went though.

Hmm I don't think this is the one, but I'm kind of shocked this is in production too.
    https://www.partzilla.com/product/ho...fc83d42ee73589

Here's one I stumbled on that is out of production though. I think the couple I've seen were in pretty sad shape so probably another one that could have some interest. Frame grommet for the harness (front side) for the ATC90, US90, 110, 125M - https://www.partzilla.com/product/ho...299f8ec18460d4

Also, item #24 in your posted pic is a part I could use for my reproduction neutral/reverse sub harnesses (the rubber grommet part of the sub harness). They don't sell too often, but I suspect part of that is because it looks nothing like the OEM connector even though it functions just fine.

I haven't worked with tubing/piping in the program, but I wonder if I designed a grab bar in it, if that company could reproduce them well and what kind of price it would end up running. First one I have in mind would be for the 350x. One of mine is missing it too, so I could use one myself lol. If the price isn't bad, maybe headlight guards could be an option and similar things like that. Little sketchy on reproducing critical bolts like front axle, swing arm etc because of the liability involved, but in theory that should be doable too. They offer CNC services.

I'd like to mess around and build a dash, or recreate and existing dash (like 87 200x) in cad to see what kind of prices the larger parts would be. Of course it would have the issue of the 3d printed lines, but maybe that's "cool" looking for some people.

Anyway, keep posting part ideas, I'll keep making the 3d cad drawings atleast for the stuff I have on hand. It's a fun little pass time to settle down before bed etc.
    Last edited by ps2fixer; 01-22-2019 at 07:51 PM.

--
    Just curious what CAD package you are using? I make a living doing product development in the furniture world and have been around Autodesk Inventor and Solidworks for some time. Also curious to know what your are using to reverse engineer these parts? If just a dial caliper, I might suspect some future fitment issues on mating parts, as the accuracy may not be 100% there. I know the 3D printer we utilize also has a wider tolerance range than what you would get w/ some production parts.

--
    Yea, the program is called Freecad. I'm not expecting things to be 100% perfect. Like I'm not going to design bearings in it or anything that's super tight tolerance. Rubber bumpers and such there's a fair bit of margin of error. Also yea, I'm mainly using a digital caliper for the base measurements. Seems like most of the primary measurements are whole numbers. Like the 350x pins measured 12mm diameter, 20mm overall length, head measured 2mm, eyeballing the slot appeared to be 1mm deep. The slot width wasn't a whole number though, my best measurement I came up with I believe was 1.4mm.

I've seen autodesk and solidworks at my first job around the engineering department, I didn't get to play with the software, that was my co-worker's job (day hours), I mainly did pc work, printer repairs etc (midnight shift). We had some super computers on site too, old one was a $20k unit, and the other was a work in progress, each one was $170k for the client, I think there was a few options for the server (16 blade server if I recall correctly), something like $360k, $780k, or one over $1m. They were for simulation mainly but the co-worker doing the cad stuff was thinking about getting one for the cad group.

Is there better options to get more accurate measurements than a caliper? I'm mainly looking to get the primary fitments spot on, and the rest is designed as a look-a-like as long as it fits the application.

Also, yea the 3d printing has a pretty wide tolerance. Their CNC option was down to 0.002in, standard/default option is 0.010in. This is on ABS plastic. It gets better for steel etc. I suspect if i had china make the parts, it would be like 1mm tolerance lol.

--
    The red plastic air frame ducts up at frame on the 85-86R which always have broken and cracked ears...I had tried to get a kid I worked with to repo these the same way with his 3D molder machine to make money but he was more interested in making Dungeon Dragon model ppl lol.

--
    Ps2- I’ve always wanted to try the 87 200x dash mold but I couldn’t get the screw caps molded right(the tiny bumps) that hold it in place always were too fragile. I bought a set of repro caps a few yrs ago and the same issue the bumps broke off on install (or atleast one on each side did). But recently browsing lowes i happened across these plastic caps they fit perfect (no top slot though) and a little trimming on bottom and they are a nice color match too. I suppose a dab of silicone could be used also if needed.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D017F7AB-BC37-4A87-8897-28D0A483C5CE.jpeg 
Views:	13 
Size:	2.43 MB 
ID:	256791

Fabio- those tailight pins are discontinued, next time I see you let me bring one home I’ll see if I can make it multiply. I’m in it for the hobby side of it, not to make money, I’ll just mold em’ when pouring something else no offense to anyone I just enjoy it.

Ps2- when it’s not 10 degrees out I’ll venture out to the shed for that 87 harness

Shep
    Last edited by Shep1970; 01-21-2019 at 12:10 PM. Reason: Spelling

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --
    Wait so the taillight pins are discontinued?
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    Some of the parts sites say those pins are discontinued- usually that just means if u order them on a parts site that’s says available in two days they’ll send u a message saying “not shipping”
    Partzilla I believe just haven’t updated there website.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2AB36195-7BEF-4087-B42F-EA9E85FA68B5.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	96.6 KB 
ID:	256792
    This pin #8
    Shep
    Last edited by Shep1970; 01-21-2019 at 01:13 PM.

--
    I'm surprised no one has requested swing arm bushings yet...

--
    swinger bushings are made and sold on here by a fella

--
    I would like a set of the 85-86 250r air duct covers in black. The school I work at has 2 3d printers but I dont know how to use them. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l225-3.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	6.0 KB 
ID:	256795
    250r rules

--
    Quote Originally Posted by atc300r View Post
    I would like a set of the 85-86 250r air duct covers in black. The school I work at has 2 3d printers but I dont know how to use them. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l225-3.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	6.0 KB 
ID:	256795
    If I get you a 3d cad drawing of it, could you have someone run the machine for you? The output is generally a .step file. You'd probably have to check with the teacher to see what they'd charge you to have it made, likely just cost of materials though since someone is probably learning off it.

I'll look into the other replies a bit later.

--
    A part that comes to mind is the rubber fitting that seals the wiring that exits the stator on the Tri-Z. They would be difficult to install if they were identical to the OEM fitting, but I'd take a few if you made something that looked clean. Anything is better that the torn up rubber I have now.
    It sucks to get old

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //