//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How would this work?

--

How would this work?

I picked up a '79 110 last fall for $100, came with two engines. One is a 90 and one is a locked up 110.

Tuning up the 90 since it seems to have good compression and was cleaning the oil screen last night and noticed outer clutch cover has no screws. Would this have hurt anything? (aka anything else that needs checked out)

It was played up that he was going to put this engine in the trike but never had time. No idea if it has been ran like this or not. Can't find the screws in the case but it looks like they came out when it was running.

I am going to tear the cover off the 110 to see if it has the screws, and if that cover will interchange... and to see what I have for threads in the drum. I know it has engine oil behind that and didn't know if it would have leaked past that instead of going somewhere else.

--
    I that whole area is oil soaked so leaking internally shouldn't be an issue. They are still available if you can clean up the threads? If there's no sign of them I bet someone was in there and took them out. Probably got nervous and threw the whole thing back together.

https://www.servicehonda.com/oempart...47b900e/clutch

https://www.servicehonda.com/oempart...47b98be/clutch
    Trikes
    1970/71 US 90 (Aquarius Blue)
    1970/71 US 90 (Future Project)
    1972/73 US 90 Camo Project (110 Big Bore)
    1972/73 US 90 Green
    1977 ATC 90 w/83 110 motor (Fugly)
    1982 ATC 70
    1983 ATC 70 (Ladybug)
    1973 ATC 70

1965 Marketeer 3 Wheel Golf Cart with 1986 Honda 250 drivetrain

TF 2015

Other
    1983 Honda Z50
    1978 Honda XL75

Feedback http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ck-for-coopool
    http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...k-for-coolpool

--
    the screws should interchangs just fine. Might want to either download or pick up a manual for that thing, pics would help you determine if you are missing anything else.
    90 nickolson Bored and Stroked "The Good"

Big Bore 110 Pauter frame "The Bad"

90 Bored and Stroked “vey’s frame” "The Ugly"

110 JSC frame Bored and Stroked
    flat track build. “Shop trike”

1974 original 90 X 2

1974 Original 70.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by coolpool View Post
    I that whole area is oil soaked so leaking internally shouldn't be an issue. They are still available if you can clean up the threads? If there's no sign of them I bet someone was in there and took them out. Probably got nervous and threw the whole thing back together.

https://www.servicehonda.com/oempart...47b900e/clutch

https://www.servicehonda.com/oempart...47b98be/clutch
    You can kinda see where the holes in the plate are deformed like the screws were kicked out (assuming that drum spins clockwise)

I think the ball thing should hold some pressure in on it too so it couldn't do too much, didn't know for sure though. Thanks!

--
    Those screws are terrible to get out so I would guess that they were taken out and never put back. They are a 5x12 oval screw Honda number 93600-05012-0A that you can get at any Honda shop. If somebody was messing in that area make sure the nut under the cover is tight and the locking tang is in place. It takes a special tool to tighten the nut. You don't want the clutch coming loose.

--
    Guessing that is a no?

I need to look at it closer, there might be something locked at about 5:00 it is hard to tell, I was just taking pics as I was taking it apart.

Looking like I got quite a little treasure here...
    Last edited by 85_Ranger4x4; 01-25-2019 at 01:37 PM.

--
    Boy Ranger Rick, if it were me I would take that all back apart and check everything while you have it down that far. By the looks of that nut the guy before you didn't look like he knew a whole lot about what he was doing.

1974 original 90 X 2

1974 Original 70.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by DAM shop View Post
    Boy Ranger Rick, if it were me I would take that all back apart and check everything while you have it down that far. By the looks of that nut the guy before you didn't look like he knew a whole lot about what he was doing.
    It looks like the nut won't be much fun to get off at this point. Kinda tempted to just put the 90 on ice and focus on getting the 110 broke loose.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 85_Ranger4x4 View Post
    It looks like the nut won't be much fun to get off at this point. Kinda tempted to just put the 90 on ice and focus on getting the 110 broke loose.
    Ranger,
    I think you can get that off but you'll need a special tool for it.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

1974 original 90 X 2

1974 Original 70.

--
    You can get a flip socket that has two different 4 prong ends for really cheap on amazon or ebay. You'll either have to GENTLY use an impact or get a strap wrench though.
    I was born and raised on Venus & I may be here a while.....

--
    I have one ordered, not sure how it will work with only one tang doing most of the driving though.
    Last edited by 85_Ranger4x4; 01-25-2019 at 06:18 PM.

--
    I have one ordered, not sure how it will work with only one tang doing most of the driving though.
    You know that you tap those tangs out of the slots and use the spanner ( that sits in those four slots) to turn the but out right? Out a penny in the clutch gear to hold it while you attempt to turn it . By the looks of the but it looks like he took it off originally with a chisel.

1974 original 90 X 2

1974 Original 70.

--
    Yeah, I know if there are any tabs in the slots they have to come out first.

Most of the slots are messed up on the loosening side which is why I question if the spanner wrench will work to get the nut off.

--

Most of the slots are messed up on the loosening side which is why I question if the spanner wrench will work to get the nut off.
    We've had some pretty messed up nuts we've been able to get off. More than likely and hopefully he wasn't able to get it that tight to begin with..

1974 original 90 X 2

1974 Original 70.

Scootertrash is offline Just Too Addicted: Protecting Our Community The day begins with 3WW
    --

Slow and easy is the way to go about it. If you start to get frustrated, take a break, have a beer or beverage of choice, and ponder your options.

Yes, it looks like one of the washer tabs is locked in at 5 o'clock

ETA: Make sure that it's not a left hand thread. That could be why the spanner nut slots are damaged on that side. Previous owner thought he was loosening when he was actually tightening.
    Last edited by Scootertrash; 01-25-2019 at 07:05 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by fabiodriven View Post
    Trick the people into thinking they're enacting their own will and you have willing slaves.

Liberalism suspends the intellect of its victims, while at the same time tricking them into believing that they're smarter than everyone else.

If we've done business together, please leave me feedback. Thank You!:

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...t=Scootertrash

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //