//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Looking at a 1986 yamaha 225DR

--

Looking at a 1986 yamaha 225DR

I am looking to get my first 3 wheeler. After some research and digging I am set on either a 1985 or newer honda big red or else a yamaha 225 DX or DR. Found a 86 225DR that's about 150miles from me and wondering if it's a decent deal or not? Has the gold wheels and is black. Remember reading that they made a 225DR special? https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...3319449105960/

--
    Looks to be fair on the price, assuming it’s not missing anything and mechanically sound. Heck, under a grand for a complete running trike is good in my book. Maybe look at a Honda for your second.

--
    I've had 2 1987 big reds and now have a 1985 225dr...I loved my big reds, but the Yamaha rides better to me. The Honda's seem to hold their value more and have more available parts etc. The 225dr in the pic looks to be a good deal as long as it runs good and no major issues.

Sent from my SM-G550T1 using Tapatalk
    1985 Yamaha 225DRN w/OEM headlight guard, footboards, front rack, rear rack, work light, brush guards and trailer hitch

--
    I've ran Yamaha quads before, but never a 3 wheeler. I've had 20+ Honda's though. The 250ES is a pretty stiff riding machine, it's not designed to be your goto machine to go trailing, it's meant to be a work horse. If you're not pulling a trailer or need the racks, look into an ATC250SX, that would be probably the closest Honda machine compared to the Yamaha 225DR. I don't remember the details, but I think the DR was the one with reverse, and the DX didn't have reverse. Either case the one with reverse is more desirable.

Not sure if I'm plagued by a Yamaha curse or what, but every single Yamaha I've ever had has had the rear shock blow out. My dad bought a 85 Tri-Z and it was blown out, I bought an 87 Warrior roller and it's blown out. The late 80's Moto4 350 has it blown out, and it's smaller brother the Moto4 225 has them blown out too. The only one that isn't blown out is the 99 Warrior my dad bought new.

Never rode an actual Honda Sports quad before, but the warrior handled quite well for what it is. Jumps etc were easy to land (we ride hard). Never had problems with my Honda 3 wheelers though with that kind of handling either.

Anyway, not trying to say avoid the Yamaha, just one thing to check out when you go to look at it. I probably should have bought a couple Yamaha 3 wheelers when I was crazy on buying 3 wheelers, I remember a couple for $400, both with bent rear axles and I think they were the 225DX machines. Besides that issue they looked to be nice complete machines.

For the Honda's, the 250es runs a good $1500 or so here min for a fair condition machine, $2000-2500 for a nice one. The 250SX seems to be a bit all over on it't price, sometimes less, sometimes more than the big red. They are less common, so a bit harder to find a cheap deal on them. I have had 6 or 7 250es big reds and have $500 or less into buying each of them, but all needed atleast some kind of work done to them.

Good luck with your search, hopefully the first machine you look at is a keeper.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //