//ArrowChat Code

Thread: 85 Honda Big Red electrical outlet by headlight

--

85 Honda Big Red electrical outlet by headlight

Is there a male end that fits into the electrical outlet that is located by the headlight on the 85 BR?
    85 Big Red
    83 Big Red
    84 125m
    85 TRX 125
    73 ATC 70

--
    Yes it is an accessorie outlet
    Last edited by *ATC*; 01-25-2019 at 07:04 PM.
    ATC 110 79
    ATC 110 85
    ATC 250R 85 :cool
    US90 1970

--
    Yea, it's a 12v aux plug (well battery voltage), but I think the connector shape is unique to Honda only and was shortly lived so nearly nothing uses it.

The wiring for that plug are standard 3.5mm bullet terminals, so replacing it with something more commonly available is an option. I've been thinking about a car 12v socket adapter for the 200es/250es machines.

I've powered a Garman GPS off those wires and it worked out great.

--
    ps2fixer That is what is was afraid that there was probably no male fixture that would just plug in. I have had my big red since new and this is the first time that I have wanted to hook something up to use. I am not real excited about cutting the wires and putting another plug there might have to. Do you think it would run a small winch now and then?
    By the way, do you do work on mechanical work on Hondas? My local person is not doing much any more. Where are you located? I am near Alpena.
    85 Big Red
    83 Big Red
    84 125m
    85 TRX 125
    73 ATC 70

--
    No wenches, they draw well over 10 amps. You need heavy cables running to the battery for those. Look at a wench like it's a starter, it's a major draw, and it's probably draws more than the engine even puts out on it's own (the battery is the buffer to recharge between cycles).

Also there's no cutting wires, they just unplug. Adapt the spot that it normally plugs into to something more common, or the device you want to power directly. Like if you have a 12v cellphone charger, you'd get the 12v socket, and the wires off the socket would have to be adapted to the connectors on the harness. Here's a photo of the stock part removed so you can visualize it. The new wire on whatever device would have to have the same connectors as the pink and green wires. If I recall correctly, the fuse for the aux plug is 10 amp (120w).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/113537418792

I'm down in Mid Michigan near Midland, north of Flint/Detroit/Saginaw. Alpena is quite a trip, I've went there to the Marine base to shoot guns for a college class =). Yep I have some very basic guard training as a requirement for a computer degree. There was like a page in the book about copyright that was the only thing relating to computers we had lol. Anyway I don't have a garage or anything to work in, but maybe I can help over the net, or is it more maintenance items? I don't normally work on ATV's as a business, but I wouldn't turn down helping someone out local.

--
    Thanks for the information. Right now it is on hold as it is to damn cold to do anything, even though my shop is heated. I will go the battery route.
    85 Big Red
    83 Big Red
    84 125m
    85 TRX 125
    73 ATC 70

--
    Yea I get you on the cold, sub 0 nights for the next 3 days here. Already had the pipes freeze once for about 4 days, parent's water lines froze twice, and another person we know had pipes freeze. I think after this week the weather should even out a little, not a fan of under 10 degree weather lol.

If you hook the wench to the battery, generally it's best practice to fuse the wire, but you'll need a large fuse. You'd also need to know what the draw of the motor is so you can over size the fuse slightly, like if it's a 60amp motor, an 80a or 100a fuse would work well. It's mainly to protect from dead shorts. Power source for the relay/trigger wire should be safe to run 5-10amp fuse. I suspect most people use whatever wire kit comes with the wench though. It's not a requirement, just a safety thing for the just encase situations.

Anyway, stay warm, hopefully your area isn't getting hit quite as hard as my area.

ATCKevin is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    Pretty cool seeing Michigan guys one here. Hublake, I'm guessing that's short for Hubbard Lake? I know that area well! I spend a lot of time up there on Consolidated Road. I'm sure you know where that is.

--
    ATCKevin Your are correct, I am in Hubbard Lake. Know where the Consolidated Road is. off the west side. Born and raised here. Do you remember the Old Stone Bar at the corners? My grandfather built that back in the 30s. I am over on Bennett Rd. Look me up when you are up here again.
    85 Big Red
    83 Big Red
    84 125m
    85 TRX 125
    73 ATC 70

ATCKevin is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    Too cool!! I eat at the Stone Bar with my old man all the time!! I will let you know when I am up there again.

--
    Im fairly sure you can just stick individual spade connectors into those plugs I remember doing that when i was messing with my 250es.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 85bigred00 View Post
    Im fairly sure you can just stick individual spade connectors into those plugs I remember doing that when i was messing with my 250es.
    That might be possible, but the terminals are about 2-3 times thicker than the typical spade connector.

Personally I'd just adapt whatever I want to plug into the 3 wheeler to the 3.5mm bullet terminals that the aux plug wiring plugs into, or mount a 12v aux plug like modern atv's use. I mess with wiring all the time, so maybe it's easier said than done for others.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //