//ArrowChat Code
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: ATC200M countershaft questions

--
    Barn boy, Check partzilla. It shows it being unique to the m.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BarnBoy is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    Thanks for the help! I will look into buying or making a splitter, don't plan on splitting many cases so I'll see if I can find one to borrow or make another puller work.

Ok so I actually have a spare 200M bottom end for parts, and another bottom end which I believe may be a 200S. And just remembered I have a 185S engine but its got water in the case so likely all rusted. The spare 200M countershaft looks pretty good, I'd say its about half as worn as my original. So its got some play but not terrible.

What I have found is that the shaft looks like its in great shape, but the wear is on the side of the spline teeth, and thats where the play occurs. I would have assumed that all the 200cc bikes would use the same countershaft, except the BR. But, you are right! Can still get the 200S shaft new, 200M has different part #. Interesting.

I believe the 200M may have shared a countershaft with the early XL200R. It appears they share the same part number. (23221-427-960 is the updated PN) Found what I believe to be an NOS shaft with correct PN for $43 online, not sure on the website though but looks legit?? actioncertifieds.top is the name, anyone ever purchased from them?
    1984 HONDA ATC200M - OG, mid-restoration
    1981 HONDA ATC200 - future build
    1981 HONDA ATC185S - parts
    1984 ATC200X - roller, future build
    1984 Honda ATC250r - in a million pieces- ISO grab bar, PM if you have one

Da velder

--
    I could be mistaken, but I thought partzilla showed the different or updated part numbers. I just checked again and even the Xr and xl use different numbers.
    Yes, it’s possible you could make a puller, at least one that would resemble the one I used. I have one of those harmonic pullers and it was way too small. So I used that one-it’s for the tractors-you can see that metal piece I modified it with.
    After you mentioned making one, I started brainstorming ideas and something like a 3/4 inch piece of plywood with a hole and bolt in middle, washer and nut under the wood, using your case bolts running through the plywood.??? Start turning the nut up. Maybe, I’m all about being resourceful.
    Anyway, in your case, working on something you’ve had so long, I’d strongly suggest you keep the screwdriver put away.
    Lastly, that 2-stroke engine is the 1st for me, so I’m very green, yet. Yours is a little more complicated to me. But, you have a practice engine that should be helpful. I’ll chime in if I think I’ll be helpful. You Barnboy, are the man in charge and I bet you got this!

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Jd110 View Post
    I could be mistaken, but I thought partzilla showed the different or updated part numbers. I just checked again and even the Xr and xl use different numbers.
    Yes, it’s possible you could make a puller, at least one that would resemble the one I used. I have one of those harmonic pullers and it was way too small. So I used that one-it’s for the tractors-you can see that metal piece I modified it with.
    After you mentioned making one, I started brainstorming ideas and something like a 3/4 inch piece of plywood with a hole and bolt in middle, washer and nut under the wood, using your case bolts running through the plywood.??? Start turning the nut up. Maybe, I’m all about being resourceful.
    Anyway, in your case, working on something you’ve had so long, I’d strongly suggest you keep the screwdriver put away.
    Lastly, that 2-stroke engine is the 1st for me, so I’m very green, yet. Yours is a little more complicated to me. But, you have a practice engine that should be helpful. I’ll chime in if I think I’ll be helpful. You Barnboy, are the man in charge and I bet you got this!

I looked on cheap cycle parts and XL200R has the same PN as the 200M. It had one # with a line through it, and then the new one beside it which is the one I posted. I'll check on some other websites then, that's weird.

Yeah, was.thinking about maybe plywood. Or might have my machinist friends mill a slot in some bar stock and make it. Definitely will keep the screw drivers away! But not gonna spend $60 on a simple puller. I'll post what be I use.

Appreciate the help! Looks pretty simple, only like 8 bearings in the bottom end. With practice I shouldn't have a problem....I hope . Any input is welcome!!

Da velder

--
    Just to finish off the discussion on case splitters....I had a machinist friend mill these arms out for me. Tacked a nut on the middle and I'm ready to roll. Sure beats the $60 Tusk splitter, and the dimensions are right @ the same.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	homemade-case-splitter.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	20.1 KB 
ID:	257168

Da velder

--
    Well, I've run into a slight possible issue. The countershaft out of my parts bike is different than the one that came out of my engine. Parts bike is 100% an '84 200M, checked and double checked the serial number. It also appears to have 2 extra grooves in the shaft, presumably for a snap ring but there wasn't any on it when I disassembled. Could Honda have used 2 different shafts on the same engine? Would anyone have a shaft for a 200M kicking around? Preferably in new or like new condition.

Da velder

--
    Ok, looked at the shaft again and measured. It appears to be the same as the one that came out of the bike, except until the output (splined) end is 1/8" longer, and therefore sticks out from the case 1/8'' further. Is this going to be an issue with chain alignment and all that? The parts motor it came out of had an "extra" 1/8" thick washer....and the one out of my bike didnt have that. Maybe to shim it somehow?? Otherwise it looks to me like it'll work.

Anyone know why in the world there might be 2 different lengths of countershafts on one model??

This is starting to get confusing........

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KIMG3142.JPG 
Views:	5 
Size:	1.26 MB 
ID:	257490
    Last edited by BarnBoy; 02-26-2019 at 11:55 PM.

Da velder

--
    I seriously doubt it’s gonna be a problem. Get it together and see.
    You can always put some washers behind the rear sprocket.
    I was born and raised on Venus & I may be here a while.....

--
    Well, and that might not be a bad thing to do...it would move the sprocket back a little and it would fit better on the splines.

Other thing is.... I remember Dirtcrasher saying something about a thick moly paste he used on countershaft splines? Curious to know what that was, regular grease doesent stay in there well. Maybe someone knows what type of paste to use....I thought it was some special stuff. With the right lube it should cut down on spline wear a lot.

Da velder

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //