//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: ATC200M countershaft questions

BarnBoy is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --

ATC200M countershaft questions

Hi,

I pulled the motor out of my '84 200M to rebuild. While looking at the engine I found that the countershaft sprocket has a fair bit of play on the splines. Not enough to strip it, but I have a feeling its ing on accel/deceleration. Question 1 is: is there a thicker sprocket or something like that to engage the rest of the good splines that I could install??

Since I am going to be rebuilding the top end, it doesn't make sense to do a hack job on this critical piece. So question 2 is: what does it take to split the cases? Do I need any special tools? Is it hard to get the transmission back together? I am pretty handy mechanically but never been this deep into an ATV motor before. I plan on documenting the process and having a build thread, as I havent found a nice thread with pictures for the ATC200 in my searches.

I'm pretty sure I have a spare countershaft, but does anyone know where I might be able to find a NOS one??

Heres a few pics. You can see the gap between the sprocket and spline teeth.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	atc200-sprocket001.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	80.6 KB 
ID:	256953

Name:	atc200-sprocket002.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	82.4 KB 
ID:	256954Click image for larger version. 

Name:	atc200countershaft001.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	41.0 KB 
ID:	256955Click image for larger version. 

Name:	atc200countershaft002.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	53.1 KB 
ID:	256956 Also the countershaft does have a small amount of in-out movement, but no lateral play.
    1984 HONDA ATC200M - OG, mid-restoration
    1981 HONDA ATC200 - future build
    1981 HONDA ATC185S - parts
    1984 ATC200X - roller, future build
    1984 Honda ATC250r - in a million pieces- ISO grab bar, PM if you have one

Da velder

--
    Flywheel puller and case puller could make your job much easier. Also, the service manual and take lots of pictures to reference.

--
    I’ve had good luck with light taps from a rubber mallet and GENTLE use of a screwdriver at the dowel pin locations. Don’t pry elsewhere, it’ll get things in a bind.
    Gentle is the word.
    I was born and raised on Venus & I may be here a while.....

Scootertrash is offline Just Too Addicted: Protecting Our Community The day begins with 3WW
    --
    I finally bought a crankcase splitting tool a couple years ago.

Name:	s-l640.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	49.2 KB 
ID:	256965

https://www.ebay.com/i/254051590853?chn=ps
    Quote Originally Posted by fabiodriven View Post
    Trick the people into thinking they're enacting their own will and you have willing slaves.

Liberalism suspends the intellect of its victims, while at the same time tricking them into believing that they're smarter than everyone else.

If we've done business together, please leave me feedback. Thank You!:

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...t=Scootertrash

--
    Already have the OEM Service manual downloaded. Does anyone know the thread size for the 200M flywheel puller?

Case splitter looks pretty simple....looks like even a harmonic balancer puller or similar could be used with the right metric bolts no??

Is a press needed for any of the assembly/disassembly?

Looks like many of the bearings in there are still available through Honda. Where could I find a NOS countershaft?? Or at least one used but in really good shape? Gonna check on my spare and see if its swap worthy.

Da velder

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --
    There are two on eBay right now. One looked pretty roached but this one looks pretty good.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F123495415768
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    There are two on eBay right now. One looked pretty roached but this one looks pretty good.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F123495415768
    Thanks for the link, but that's actually the main shaft. I need the countershaft that the sprocket mounts too.

Da velder

--
    Quote Originally Posted by BarnBoy View Post
    Already have the OEM Service manual downloaded. Does anyone know the thread size for the 200M flywheel puller?

Case splitter looks pretty simple....looks like even a harmonic balancer puller or similar could be used with the right metric bolts no??

Looks like many of the bearings in there are still available through Honda. Where could I find a NOS countershaft?? Or at least one used but in really good shape? Gonna check on my spare and see if its swap worthy.
    Your flywheel is M14 x 1.5. This is what I used to split these:

I did tap very lightly with a rubber mallet after a little turn, only on the thicker areas, where the engine mounting bolts go through.
    Worked like a charm with no possible damage to the mating surfaces. Good luck with your family heirloom!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --
    Thanks for the link, but that's actually the main shaft. I need the countershaft that the sprocket mounts too.
    Sorry bud!
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Jd110 View Post
    Your flywheel is M14 x 1.5. This is what I used to split these:

I did tap very lightly with a rubber mallet after a little turn, only on the thicker areas, where the engine mounting bolts go through.
    Worked like a charm with no possible damage to the mating surfaces. Good luck with your family heirloom!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Awesome! Thanks. I found out my motion-pro flywheel puller for the 185S actually had the right threads on the inside piece. Split the case last night on one of my spare parts bottom ends. Gears and shims started falling off inside...ahh! But looking at the diagram I should be able to get them back together. Gonna practice on this parts engine till I can get the tranny assembled, then do mine. I think I need to have the cases lay flat, and pull the left side straight off....that should help avoid most of the stuff falling out.

Da velder

--
    I made a platform to sit it in. Two 2x4’s nailed to plywood with appropriately located holes let’s the engine sit flat on its side. Easy. Worth the 5 minutes it takes to make it.

Good on you for practicing. I did the same. Be certain you can assemble it all correctly before you do any real work. It’s nothing but time well spent.

Scootertrash is offline Just Too Addicted: Protecting Our Community The day begins with 3WW
    --
    Possibly, if the "foot" of the puller is the right size to overlap the edges of the cases. The adjustability of the tool makes it usable for many different brands of crankcases, which is why I bought one.

Not that I remember, but it's been awhile since I split cases of any kind
    been too busy.
    Trick the people into thinking they're enacting their own will and you have willing slaves.

Liberalism suspends the intellect of its victims, while at the same time tricking them into believing that they're smarter than everyone else.

--
    Same guy has the countershaft. I'd have him clean up the splines and send you a pic. Doesn't seem to be in too bad of shape.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-ATC-185-S-200-S-M-Transmission-Counter-Shaft-Gear-Set-Clean/123495414742?hash=item1cc0e67bd6:g:bzkAAOSwEKpb77L f:rk:1f:1&frcectupt=true

--
    Wonder what the difference in an M and an S output shaft is? I know I have one of those bouncing around here.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    Wonder what the difference in an M and an S output shaft is? I know I have one of those bouncing around here.
    I'm not positive but they might be the same.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //