//ArrowChat Code
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: Barnboy's 1984 ATC200M Rebuild

--
    DO NOT even try to figure out how much you've spent on a project like this one. You'll be happier if you don't know.

BarnBoy is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by 350for350 View Post
    DO NOT even try to figure out how much you've spent on a project like this one. You'll be happier if you don't know.
    I mean at this point I've come way too far to not finish this thing out properly. In my opinion it's not worth doing unless you're gonna do it right the first time. I'm ok with spending money on that. Just kinda makes me stop and think for a second lol.
    1984 HONDA ATC200M - OG, mid-restoration
    1981 HONDA ATC200 - future build
    1981 HONDA ATC185S - parts
    1984 ATC200X - roller, future build
    1984 Honda ATC250r - in a million pieces- ISO grab bar, PM if you have one

Da velder

--
    Good to see you're getting near completion on this. Are you going to put all the pictures into a photo gallery?
    The story of three wheels and a man...

--
    I don't mind spending money on something like this either. I just don't want to know how much I've spent. What's that saying? Ignorance is bliss?

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ATC King View Post
    Good to see you're getting near completion on this. Are you going to put all the pictures into a photo gallery?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20211023_172327.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	1.86 MB 
ID:	268430

Yes I plan to, whenever I can take the time to find and upload them all. Ignorance is indeed bliss, but I'm still slightly curious LOL. Got my tank back from Brad, it's looking AMAZING. So happy with how it makes the bike look.

Da velder

patriot1 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Looks awesome. I am ready to see it finished too

--
    Spent some time working on the exhaust today. It's hard because I don't have 1.25 dies for our bender. Using a cutoff wheel and TIG welder I pie cut and modified the header to where it kinda sorta fits. Not entirely satisfied with how it turned out and I have a lot more fabricating to do if I'm gonna make this work. I checked around to see if anyone else makes aftermarket exhaust that will fit my 200M. I know DG and cobra used to have options on ebay, but I can't for the life of me find any available. Anyone know where I might be able to find one? I'd love to make this supertrapp 200X exhaust work but it's gonna be a ton of work.

Da velder

--
    If you're going to work to make that Trapp fit, it'd be a good idea to get it back past the fender. If it's under and near the plastic it'll soot it up and possibly burn it.

You can put a shield on to stop a lot or most of those issues. https://supertrapp.com/supertrapp-40...tainless-steel

There's a 360 degree shield available too. They help deflect the gases back and away.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ATC King View Post
    If you're going to work to make that Trapp fit, it'd be a good idea to get it back past the fender. If it's under and near the plastic it'll soot it up and possibly burn it.

You can put a shield on to stop a lot or most of those issues. https://supertrapp.com/supertrapp-40...tainless-steel

There's a 360 degree shield available too. They help deflect the gases back and away.
    Thanks King, I'll be doing that. With as much work as I'm doing I'm not sure I wouldn't be better off just buying a new Supertrapp pipe off eBay and buying mandrel bent tube and fabbing my own pipe. I think I need to shorten my header a bit more to clear the frame the way Id like and I think I'll be able to use it. Would make life somewhat easier. Will post pics soon so what I'm saying all makes sense.

Da velder

--
    The mandrel pipe bend kits are great. Those make fabing up an exhaust a lot easier and the ones I've seen are relatively affordable in aluminized or stainless. Purchasing a manual (impact gun) pipe expanding kit takes that even farther, but even the inexpensive ones that are worth a toot are over $100. Need to do a few exhausts to pay for one of those or a complete car/truck dual exhaust.

If you're going with a new muffler to fab it all up, you could use just about any of the universal ATV/motorcycle ones. My preference is for the Supertrapp sound though. The ability to tune it with the discs is nice and they are an USFS approved spark arrestor, which even if you don't ride in areas where it's legally needed it's always nice to not have to worry about it.

The Trapps are spendy though, considering the actual muffler isn't anything more than a typical straight-through glasspack. The discs on the end are really the only thing different and they aren't directly responsible for sound attenuation. If you get a new one or even have the old one apart, you may want to look into using stainless steel wool instead of fiberglass packing. Regular muffler maintenance is kind of an idiotic concept.

--
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Resized_20211122_140449.jpeg 
Views:	11 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	268585

Just gonna leave this here...more to come but folks its getting somewhere!! I need more motivation, time to get this thing done!!

Da velder

--

--
    Yeah thats what I'm talking about King!

So I picked up my motor, instructions say dry to touch in 4 hrs, safe to handle after 24. I gave it like 30 in a garage with the heater running full blast and got it last night. Kinda wish I had let it sit another day, and gone over it with a heat gun to get it as cured as possible. It still seems a tad soft, hope I didn't mess it up but it was in a friend's garage and he needed his space back. Needs to be brought to 300° for 15 mins for final cure...I'm not comfortable handling it enough to install now so I'm gonna try and cook it before I install. I know a guy with a powder coating oven, if I can convince him to fire it up for me I may just cook it in there.for an hr if we can regulate the temp to 300°. I really don't wanna get hotter than that.

Da velder

patriot1 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    I'm glad you are still on it! Keep going!

--
    Update on the motor, the local guy will cook it in his powdercoating oven for me Monday. Won't take much to have it installed and plumbed in after that. Still need to figure out if I can run my original intake or if it's cracked. Also need to finish the wiring.

Got working on the exhaust today, was sorting through a couple different options until I stumbled across a header pipe off some parts bike I used to have. Forgot I kept the exhaust, I think it had an aluminum ANSWER pipe that went with it. Anyway, it's all that's obsolete but it actually came really close to fitting on my 200M. So out came the cutoff wheel and I started whacking up this unobtainium header to try and make it fit. Pretty darn happy how it turned out actually. Got the supertrapp mounted where I want it, low enough to clear the mudflap. Alls that's left is to fab the tubing back to the header and it's done.

For some reason I am having trouble attaching pictures, will try and get some up.

Da velder

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //