//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Need help with 1983 Yamaha tri moto yt175j

--

Need help with 1983 Yamaha tri moto yt175j

I recently bought a tri moto that didn't run. previous owner claimed it was just a carb problem
    Took the carb off cleaned it nothing. Opened the engine up found a no good piston. Rings melted into one side basically. And both gaskets toast head and base so I got new ones of those and also a piston. So it ran then all of a sudden I have no compression actually 30psi I just finally got a tester today. My cylinder is 67mm and my piston is 65.5mm is that the issue? I know my Reed's r worn out and I found a decent used one online which I am waiting for. I spray carb cleaner in the carb and all that happens is it starts as far as the cleaner takes it so one stroke probably.

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --
    I understand why it would be embarrassing to you if you got the wrong size piston, but it still would have been your best bet to continue your old thread. I'm thinking you'd want somewhere between .050-.100 piston clearance, and you're 50% over that (guessed) maximum.

Quote Originally Posted by fabiodriven View Post
    Are you certain you got the right size piston? Rings installed correctly? Piston facing the correct direction?
    Quote Originally Posted by Madmike420 View Post
    Yes
    You seemed so certain, so convincing. I never would have guessed that you'd never actually measured it.

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ied-moto-yt175
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    Why did the engine run when I first put the new piston in if it's to small?

Sent from my LM-X510WM using Tapatalk

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --
    You're beyond help.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    You're beyond help.
    What's problem man? I'm just trying to learn.

--
    What's your problem?

--
    What's problem man? I'm just trying to learn.

You're not trying to learn at all actually, that's my problem. Myself and others here enjoy helping others and the biggest hinderenc by far in your original thread was you.

Now this is coming from a pot head, but whenever you're ready to put the bong away, perform some diagnostics, and take some measurements, then you might start getting some helpful replies (again). You got helpful replies before but you didn't want to pay attention to what anyone was saying.

So now are you ready to learn and partake in your own thread?
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    You're not trying to learn at all actually, that's my problem. Myself and others here enjoy helping others and the biggest hinderenc by far in your original thread was you.

Now this is coming from a pot head, but whenever you're ready to put the bong away, perform some diagnostics, and take some measurements, then you might start getting some helpful replies (again). You got helpful replies before but you didn't want to pay attention to what anyone was saying.

So now are you ready to learn and partake in your own thread?
    When did I ever say I smoke weed? What cuz I like trailer park boys and used Ricky as a pic

--
    If I were you I'd just stick with the premise it's a substance related issue.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    I just recently bought a digital caliper and compression tester and a flywheel puller . Gotta start somewhere. Sorry I'm not understanding sarcastic replies.

--

Need help with 1983 Yamaha tri moto yt175j

Good man. Now your first step is to figure out if you've got the correct piston or not by measuring the piston and the bore. There is an actual number you'll be able to find as far as what kind of piston to cylinder clearance is acceptable. Do not go by the numbers I guessed at above, that was a total guess.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    When did I ever say I smoke weed? What cuz I like trailer park boys and used Ricky as a pic

Lol

I would guess it had something to do with your username. More specifically the numbers at the end of your username.

I have no idea what the trailer park boys are, but I do know what 420 means around here.

I guess I shouldn't assume things. It could simply be that your birthday is April 20th or something like that?

We can be a bit trigger happy around here because every few months or so, we get a new member who will spend six pages of thread getting the best advice you can find but will refuse to heed the advice or do any of their own work to help us help them. They don't stop asking questions either, they are just waiting to hear the answer they want to hear (which is usually some f**ked up attempt at a shortcut or "do nothing, keep riding") and they are willing to keep stringing everyone along until they get that answer.

So since you bought tools for the job, I'd say it's safe to say that you want to fix it correctly......

So where are you at right now? Is the cylinder off the trike?

It would help if you post some pics of the cylinder and the sides and top of the piston and also pics of the bore in the cylinder. There are people here who can diagnose a helluva lot of things just by the visual appearance of the piston. You should be able to get some initial measurements with the calipers. Post those up along with those pics. We can't assume anything to help you until we see some measurements and some pics.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

--
    One piston was new and one was in it when I got it.i also sanded the inside of the cylinder I need to get it honed.

--
    I'll have to take more pics when I get home from work

--
    Piston that came with the trike

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //