//ArrowChat Code

Thread: New member from Central Illinois. Am I a kid agin?? =)

--

New member from Central Illinois. Am I a kid agin?? =)

Hi all!

When I was 15 (I'm now 52), I had a 82 ATC 185s. I recently "rescued" one that a guy pulled out of the junk. I also picked up a 85 BR250es from a farmer who had not started it in 5 years. Having spent my entire professional career to date immersed in computers, reacquainting myself with any semblance of mechanical skills, has been a steep learning curve! LOL!

Anyway, I do have them both running (thanks to YouTube and downloading service manuals), but have a bit to go before they are "up to snuff". After watching hours and hours of YouTube videos, I found a mention of your site and forums. I hope to be able to pick the brains of those much smarter than myself as I continue on this journey!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	82-185s.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	147.9 KB 
ID:	256984   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	250es.JPG 
Views:	55 
Size:	155.4 KB 
ID:	256985  

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --
    Nice fleet! Welcome!
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    Very nice set you have their .
    78 atc 90/180cc Dickson Full Suspension
    76 ATC90/180cc Nicholson
    77 atc 90 Dickson Full Suspension
    84 KLT 110/123cc Powroll Racer from 80s
    87 atc 125m stock
    84 atc 200x Curtis Sparks
    84 atc 200x Powroll My race bike from 80's
    83 atc70/108cc Powroll blue Xmas Special
    81 atc185s HP-ATC full suspension

Performance Shop is Open PM me for Service

My Feedback http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ck+shortline10

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by shortline10 View Post
    Very nice set you have their .
    Thank you! Did you see this guy's trikes?
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    Thank you! I have had more cuts on my hands and stubborn grease under my fingernails over the last month then I have had in the last 35 years!

--
    I would like to add I found enough info in a few existing discussion threads here that helped me get my 82 185s front axle off, brake shoes out and beat out the axle and bearings. The original service manual, as well as YouTube (from what I could find), was rather vague on some of that; at least for the front wheel. New stuff goes on when they come in next week. Yay!

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwilloug View Post
    Thank you! I have had more cuts on my hands and stubborn grease under my fingernails over the last month then I have had in the last 35 years!
    And it's all been worth it too, hasn't it? Welcome.

--
    Service manuals are very helpful and I refer to them often, but sometimes they don't give you the whole story.
    Here's an excerpt from a conversation a friend and I had while working on an ATC:

Bill: I can't figure out how to get this axle out of here.
    Ray: Ok, I will look it up in the service manual.
    Bill: What does it say?
    Ray: It says "remove it."

--
    I am in central iL myself. Welcome.
    R.I.P. John Swinehart
    TRIKEFEST 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
    Epic Mikfest 17
    86 200x
    85 250sx
    85 big red
    85 atc 70

Fabiodriven- cereal goes in first, then milk.
    I’ve got an 8” Grip on a 10” turd... Kyle Kiser

--
    Quote Originally Posted by keister View Post
    Service manuals are very helpful and I refer to them often, but sometimes they don't give you the whole story.
    Here's an excerpt from a conversation a friend and I had while working on an ATC:

Bill: I can't figure out how to get this axle out of here.
    Ray: Ok, I will look it up in the service manual.
    Bill: What does it say?
    Ray: It says "remove it."
    I think the service manuals are wrote with the idea the machines aren't going to be being worked on in 30+ years, and probably was catered to more mechanical inclined users. The average Joe is expected to take it to a Honda dealership for work.

I'm not sure how else you'd describe unbolting the front axle bolt, loosen the 4 nuts and unbolt it, it slides out if it's not all rusted up. I'm pretty sure they give an expoded image to show the order of parts and such so you can reassemble it using that as a guide.

For a person that's never worked on brakes or anything, the biggest hurdle is getting over how it works at a basic level, then the rest is kind of intuitive. I might be spoiled though, I grew up all my life wrenching on something or toying around with electronics or computers.

Anyway, sounds like the OP is on the right track already for repairs and such. What all is wrong/going on with the machines? The ATC185S is a nice simple trike to work on, electrical etc is more or less bare minimum. The atc250es is kind of the opposite. Mechanically, there's not too much going on, just the 250es has the suspension and it's shaft drive. Make sure to check your diff fluid, running it out will take out the ring and pinion gears.

Good luck with the machines, looks like you already have a good start on them though.

--
    Awesome wheelers! Congrats on the great finds! I’m new here also, but welcome!

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //